Confirmed with Link: Craig Berube named the 32nd Coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
The fact you have to go back to the Bronze Age to find an example proved my point. Lets see, him, Dit Clapper, Cyclone Taylor ... :) In recent decades there has been more successful D converted to forwards than wingers to C. Especially when they already have a clear #1c I don't think its a possibility. They just want him to earn the whale of a contract and teaching him a new position might not be the best way to achieve that.
First, we're talking about 2C not 1C, and second, he's played centre everywhere except as a Leaf, so it's not "teaching him a new position", or converting him.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
That’s a fun narrative and all but I’ve seen them take and give more hits, block more shots, and fight for space in the crease (well not so much Marner) than I’ve seen them complete simple passes and make simple shots. If they completed some video game plays and sucked defensively it would be one thing but whatever skills they have in the regular season go out the window in the playoffs. Don’t take that to mean that they can’t do the skill stuff because they don’t have time and space, pucks just hop over their sticks, shots go high and wide, passes take an extra second to settle, they randomly toe pick and fall down, clears don’t exit the zone or go for a delay of game, I could go on.

Maybe it’s the pressure, maybe Keefe was in their heads about playing safe, but there certainly isn’t much skill going on in the playoffs even when the other team isn’t pressuring them and taking away time and space. I see a hell of a lot more of Matthews getting cross checked shovelling a netfront scramble into a pad than I see him ripping shots from his office.
So you're saying everyone/everything else is to blame but them for their subpar (and often horrible) playoff performances? Got it.

And the "narrative" is what it is because these guys wrote it. We have a proven 8-year sample size to support it. I know they're the "gods of Toronto" according to Marner himself, but the excuses and deflecting are embarrassing at this point tbh. 8 years. Eight.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Juggling a few things this morning, but will attempt to transcribe the Berube presser if there's enough interest.
:laugh: Forgot it was even happening, seems like he was hired a while ago now.

• Haha
Reactions: Tak7

Gilmour1996

Oct 16, 2022
Where is the presser being shown live, keeping in mind I won't pay to see it. YouTube?

Hopefully they also announce a new audio-visual department while they're at it. The end of season presser was like watching a 5-year-old monitor the microphone levels...a travesty considering the money at their disposal.

Reactions: OddyOh

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Where is the presser being shown live, keeping in mind I won't pay to see it. YouTube?

Hopefully they also announce a new audio-visual department while they're at it. The end of season presser was like watching a 5-year-old monitor the microphone levels...a travesty considering the money at their disposal.
Both telecomms should carry it on their sites, the way they covered the end of season pressers & the management presser.

Reactions: Gilmour1996

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Excited to hear from Chief.

Think he is the type of coach that will not stand for poor effort. He just screams the type of guy who will preach the logo on the front vs. the name on the back. Like many coaches, there will be guys who thrive under his leadership and there will be guys who crumble.

I can really see Matty Knies and Bobby McMann elevating their games to that next level with Chief at the helm. But I'd also be lying if I said I wasn't worried about a guy like Mitch. It could be the best thing for him or the worst thing for him. That is if he is still on the team come October.

Not sure how his coaching style is from a X's and O's perspective, but I do love the passion. It's hard to instill passion and confidence in your players when the guy steering the ship is just as scarred and broken as the players themselves.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
What's to worry about?

Oh no, we still suck!

That's the worst case scenario, and probably the most likely one to happen.

But absolutely at minimum the perimiter play style has to go, and Marner is the quarterback of that style IMO.
Whats to worry about? We can be a lot worse than we are and have no bright spots to talk about in the meantime.

Babcock just mat have been what these guys needed but I'm guessing Babcock was told to make peace.

He took us from 30th to 14th to 7th twice. He did that with teenagers leading the way.

Dont remind me of the negative issue with Marner, I didn't say he was perfect but for sure he was better than Keefe. Yeah I know Keefe was the nicer guy by far. But we've all heard where nice guys finish.

abs0ul13

Feb 29, 2020
Can't wait for them to ask him about what Matthews thinks about the Coyotes moving to Utah 🙃

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
Tre is ecstatic he found his guy.
GIF-excited-yes-nod-Al-Bundy-laugh-laughing--Nodding-GIF.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad