Confirmed with Link: Craig Berube named the 32nd Coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Well we won’t be making the playoffs then. That is for sure that’s not how these guys play and it will take a few years at best to get that type of player who also has skill enough to be on a playoff calibre team.
Thats quite the leap. All doom and gloom. Heaven forbid they could actually use 20m+ on players that could help them be better.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
I appreciate Matthews goal scoring prowess but to suggest he is a physical gritty player is a bit of a stretch. He is a big body who every now and then pushes back but it is not his natural state and its pretty obvious he wants no part of it. Tkachuk he is not. I still cant get his smirking and going limp out of my mind. Even this year in the bruins series he grabbed a player after the whistle which grabbed my attention but as soon as another player grabbed him, he looked at him let go and looked down at the ice. Can he become a more intense physical player....I wouldnt bet on it tbh.
Yes, it isn't his forte, but he CAN be physical. That is an added, unexpected and beneficial bonus when he does. That is far more of a residual bonus than some who will never be physical

myleafs

May 25, 2021
I’d be shocked we could make the playoffs with two players and a bunch of AHL quality tough guys. Tough NHL players are hard to come by, teams that have them tend to keep them. If one becomes available he more than likely has issues nobody is aware of, whether that be attitude, deteriorating physical conditioning, psychological etc. you certainly won’t get a dozen in 2 or 3 years. We are what we are play to our strength, which is offensively minded. Over time we may get those tougher players. At least that way we still have a shot in the anything can happen playoffs.
Is that all that 20m+ gets you these days?

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

myleafs

May 25, 2021
sure its too early to say but sorry all the bullshit against marner is unfair, thats what i said. He's the guy who played the hardest matchup year after year after year. He played a total of 17 minutes against against bottom 6 probably most of the time on defensive faceoff or those kind of situation.

both nylander and matthews a closer of 50/50 mark top 6vs bottom 6 than marner but everyone blaming marner to dont producing enough without playing the favorable matchup who should give him an strategic advantage.

And after people think than switching marner is the solution for everything but i honestly they're a good chance than it just be worst for leafs. If matthews/ nylander was struggling to produce against easier, did they really producing more playing even and do they will be able to prevent goal as well?

Everyone hope for the Tkachuk trade but maybe the Tkachuk in any trade involving marner is marner in himself. Meybe if he trade somewhere where he dont need to play those matchup every shift.
Have you watched Tkachuk play? They are not the same. Im curious, would you trade Marner for Tkachuk?

I disagree. The problem I have is Marner doesn’t elevate lesser talent or “older/slower” guys, Willie has. Matthews has. If he’s slumping or being held to “superstar” standards, it’s another players fault. That’s what players that get paid superstar money should do. I wouldn’t give him away for nothing, but why pay a guy $11 million / year if he needs a Matthews or Willie to make it work. That’s the whole crux of the issue with the core 4.
Weirdly I thought this was exactly what Marner was good at before getting his big money deal.

Reactions: HOTD

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I mean, Nylander did far more this past playoffs in the games he was in than Marner did. Nylander was quite clutch.
Nylander’s playoff performances have been acceptable, a far cry from clutch, but if your comparing him to 34 and 16’s playoff performances I guess clutch could be accurate…….

He’s been clutch the last few years in the playoffs. I actually think that Berube will bring out the best in someone like Willie.
Only Willy can bring that out of Willy, Berube will hold him accountable if his habit of indifference continues…….

Reactions: myleafs

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
You've clearly never heard of Red Kelly.
Good one……..

I can't wait to have a coach that has the freedom to critique his players and not feel obligated to walk his comments back.

Many years ago a shift was made to protect the players and make them feel safe. Unfortunately it got away from them and the inmates ended up running the asylum.
100%……….

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
Are you saying it is worth the gamble of signing Mitch for 8 more years at whatever it costs to see if he maybe does better under Berube? What if he doesn't? If Mitch is tradeable its this summer and history says they won't let him walk so its probable he's dealt before the season or he is a fixture for the rest of his career.
The gamble is keeping him for this contract season and see how he plays in the playoffs for Berube. Not panic dumping him now for sub par assets because you don't like his interactions with the media and he's going to be the same player forever.

That's not a given. I don't deal in absolutes. I believe everyone deserves more chances this is Leafs Nation not Nazi Germany.

Maybe you can re sign Marner to a reasonable 4 year deal so he's a serious asset for us not a dump that we get no value for.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
The gamble is keeping him for this contract season and see how he plays in the playoffs for Berube. Not panic dumping him now for sub par assets because you don't like his interactions with the media and he's going to be the same player forever.

That's not a given. I don't deal in absolutes. I believe everyone deserves more chances this is Leafs Nation not Nazi Germany.
He has the NM and no term left so if he doesn't thrive under Berube that means losing him for nothing. There isn't a scenario where he brings a strong return, that was last year.

Its not really panic dumping if you are dealing him while he still has any value left and if he chooses a landing spot where he can resign the return is better. Sub par assets is all you get when all you give is NM deals but whatever that return is plus enough cap space to sign Tanev and Walker makes this a different team. Not dealing him means the same team minus more picks because they have no players to trade from this lineup.

If you think the smart play is to run it back with just the coaching change then you keep him but that is predicated on somehow having the money to improve the club once all the new deals kick in. I believe you see this group as being much closer to winning big then I do. They have had many chances to prove themselves.

Last edited:
Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

myleafs

May 25, 2021

Maybe you can re sign Marner to a reasonable 4 year deal so he's a serious asset for us not a dump that we get no value for.
lmao....like wt actual fk? Really? Comparing 8 yrs of marner not showing up for the big games and fans thinking maybe moving on from him is the right move is the same as fans being like nazi germany? Someone needs to do a little reading to understand the difference. jesus.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
outside of jt, nylander is also the player who played the easiest matchup.

last 3 playoff against opposite top 6
at 5v5 when those player was on the ice

marner 10 goal for- 8 against
matthews 8 for-11 against
nylander: 6for for 12 against
Let’s not get into the matchup thing. Willie produced while the others didn’t.

Not saying Willie is a God and doesn’t need to learn any more lessons but he scored.
AM, and MM might played more difficult matchups but they didn’t played every seconds against opposing top lines, they couldn’t get it done in the playoffs. Like I doubt opposing teams in the regular season throws their 4th lines and 3rd pairing D against AM and MM but they seemed to have no problem scoring in the regular season.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I agree

It’s just who is the x and o guy here? Berube is a motivator but not much of a tachnician. Keefe had a nice system. We were always tops in scoring and our D wasn’t bad till this yr when they changed the scheme.

That’s why a worry about the assistants as they will be more impor then ever

Hopefully we have spend the cap dollars wisely .
I really think the medias is just trying to magnify the weakness of Berube. He might not be a master tactician but I doubt he is clueless with X and O. He has been a coach in NHL for a long time, he got to pick up some tricks along the way.

Darcy Tucker

My Name is Bob
Mar 23, 2008
Vaughan, Ontario
lmao....like wt actual fk? Really? Comparing 8 yrs of marner not showing up for the big games and fans thinking maybe moving on from him is the right move is the same as fans being like nazi germany? Someone needs to do a little reading to understand the difference. jesus.
I wasn't comparing them I was saying how opposite the situation is. Marner doesn't have to be dealt because he has spoken out in the media and it's not a given he is the same player forever. That's just typical over reacting from Leafs fans. Let him play out his contract year and see what happens , trading him now is foolish.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
I wasn't comparing them I was saying how opposite the situation is. Marner doesn't have to be dealt because he has spoken out in the media and it's not a given he is the same player forever. That's just typical over reacting from Leafs fans. Let him play out his contract year and see what happens , trading him now is foolish.
Firstly I have never heard anyone say Marner should go because of his interviews...as bad as they are. 8yrs.....not a big enough sample size for you? What have you seen from Marner in the playoffs that makes you think he will change?

Well let’s see, we got Domi, Klingberg, Brodie, Bertuzzi that must be about 20 million, so 4 more of the same? Oh next time we will do it differently, I see.
I dont think you do.. And just for clarification....werentt Bert and Domi for 8.5 total the 2nd and 3rd leading scorers for us in the playoffs? You assume we will waste the money saved on nothingburgers...I dont.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Firstly I have never heard anyone say Marner should go because of his interviews...as bad as they are. 8yrs.....not a big enough sample size for you? What have you seen from Marner in the playoffs that makes you think he will change?

I dont think you do.. And just for clarification....werentt Bert and Domi for 8.5 total the 2nd and 3rd leading scorers for us in the playoffs? You assume we will waste the money saved on nothingburgers...I dont.
I expect more of the same, not worse not better.

HOTD

Jan 11, 2013
And I'm not convinced yet that Berube will be that coach.

I think anyone assuming anything will be different now is basing it purely on his reputation, but not acknowledging that this team is still being run by Shanahan.

I'll wait until the first instance of Berube publicly calling out a star player and/or benching/sitting him then not backtracking with his tail between his legs the next day before I believe anything has changed.
Given Berube’s vintage/style, I’m guessing he’s already had that chat with Shanahan (last kick at the can) and Tre. I doubt he accepts the job (with other options), unless assurances had been made that he could coach this team the way he wants to coach this team.

Reactions: myleafs

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

I don't think Tre will panic dump Marner.

The thing is that, do you think Marner wants to bet on himself to perform in the playoffs in order to score a big contract? He did just that this playoffs and safe to say he failed big time. Or we would not be discussing should we give him another chance under a new coach rather than hope he takes a home town discount and sign for 12 or lets see what Drai's sign before offering MM a new deal.....

Reactions: Darcy Tucker

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Let’s not get into the matchup thing. Willie produced while the others didn’t.

Not saying Willie is a God and doesn’t need to learn any more lessons but he scored.
AM, and MM might played more difficult matchups but they didn’t played every seconds against opposing top lines, they couldn’t get it done in the playoffs. Like I doubt opposing teams in the regular season throws their 4th lines and 3rd pairing D against AM and MM but they seemed to have no problem scoring in the regular season.
Marner played 83 of their 99 minutes against top top 6... Even Barkov, Selke Winner didn't played as much vs top 6 .

he played an average around 2 min 15 sec vs bottom.. so like 3 of 4 shift max by game

for me the problem was the pp and production from depht

MCR74

Nov 11, 2022
He has the NM and no term left so if he doesn't thrive under Berube that means losing him for nothing. There isn't a scenario where he brings a strong return, that was last year.

Its not really panic dumping if you are dealing him while he still has any value left and if he chooses a landing spot where he can resign the return is better. Sub par assets is all you get when all you give is NM deals but whatever that return is plus enough cap space to sign Tanev and Walker makes this a different team. Not dealing him means the same team minus more picks because they have no players to trade from this lineup.

If you think the smart play is to run it back with just the coaching change then you keep him but that is predicated on somehow having the money to improve the club once all the new deals kick in. I believe you see this group as being much closer to winning big then I do. They have had many chances to prove themselves.

lf Marner can't get his shit together with a new coach, l have no problem letting him walk. Mitch and Paul can fleece some other team.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Marner played 83 of their 99 minutes against top top 6... Even Barkov, Selke Winner didn't played as much vs top 6 .

he played an average around 2 min 15 sec vs bottom.. so like 3 of 4 shift max by game

for me the problem was the pp and production from depht
Or our top guys just choke.
Our PP sucks, which involve our top guys.
Our depth is not great but if the team have been relying on top guys to score in the regular season, quite unfair to ask the depth to start scoring and producing in the playoffs.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Or our top guys just choke.
Our PP sucks, which involve our top guys.
Our depth is not great but if the team have been relying on top guys to score in the regular season, quite unfair to ask the depth to start scoring and producing in the playoffs.

Boston didn't spent more money on their bottom 6 and their outplayed leafs bottom 6 pretty easily. the only goal from bottom 6 came from kampf. They're something bigger than the player by himself.

MajorLeaf

Maj. Conn Smythe
Dec 19, 2008
Ontario
The Leafs didn’t need a new coach they need an exorcist.

How many coaches, players, managers and ownership changes needed since 1967 (or 1990 since Ballard died) for this team to get it together.

Reactions: Anthrax442

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
by exemple agaist Boston

nylander played 68% against marchand of pasta line

marner is at 84% and matthews at 64%

If marner is not there anymore to take those matchup, what will happen? Its matthews and nylander would will need to take it.

the #1 reason why toronto beat tampa last year is marner who played 78 of time vs tampa top 6 and completly shutdown by didn't allowed a single 5v5 goal to tampa top 6 vs nylander who played 67% of time against tampa top 6 and been completly dominated.

If you raising timr matthews and nylander playing against top 6, do you think they will have a better impact both offensively and defensively than right now?
You can post all the numbers you like, nothing's going to convince me that Marner hasn't been a massive disappointment for us in the playoffs overall. And I'm pretty sure Matthews and Nylander have been playing against top 6 opposition, not sure what else to way there.
I still feel that Kessel tweeting that there is nothing better than night fishing while the playoffs were still going was one of the more tone deaf things Ive seen from a leaf player. Dont get me wrong, Marner lives in la la land and does not get it, or doesnt care, both arent a great look in this market.
I missed that Kessel tweet (or maybe just forgot about it), that's hilarious. Not a great look for sure but as long as you still play the game the way you're supposed, that's what really matters. Kessel I don't think let things get to him the way Marner does though. He'll just eat another hot dog and not worry about what people think while Marner on the other hand, it feels like his confidence in terms of playoff hockey is just gone.

I appreciate Matthews goal scoring prowess but to suggest he is a physical gritty player is a bit of a stretch. He is a big body who every now and then pushes back but it is not his natural state and its pretty obvious he wants no part of it. Tkachuk he is not. I still cant get his smirking and going limp out of my mind. Even this year in the bruins series he grabbed a player after the whistle which grabbed my attention but as soon as another player grabbed him, he looked at him let go and looked down at the ice. Can he become a more intense physical player....I wouldnt bet on it tbh.
Yup, agree with all this. He's still a great player though, too bad he wasn't healthy as he was such a monster in game 2. Hopefully we'll see more perdormances like that from him in the future.

How many more chances would you give him? And what do you think would be a reasonable 4 year deal for Marner?
I think the opposite is true - not trading him now would be foolish. Then you either let him walk for nothing a year from now or even worse, extend him again, two really bad options.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad