Confirmed with Link: Craig Berube named the 32nd Coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
You wouldn’t happen to have a link to your comments being against signing JT when it happened? If I recall it was pandemonium and everybody was high 5 ing.
if you want to waste your time you can go back to well before JT was a pending ufa and you'd see i was far from his biggest fam and that's putting it nicely , lol

truth be told i never thought he's leave the NY , he had a cushy gig going on the Island , everything revolved around him and he got all the glory (the little there was) and none of the blame

this being said our opinions as fans mean nothing , we support the team and voice our opinions so whether we wanted to sign him or didn't it wasn't our call nor our job

also the post you replied too was correct , we had AM/Kadri as our top 2 C's , we had MM/Willie as our top end wings , we needed D and depth that complemented our core , what we didn't need was a high priced ufa Center

Last edited:
Reactions: Darcy Tucker

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
if you want to waste your time you can go back to well before JT was a pending ufa and you'd see i was far from his biggest fam and that's putting it nicely , lol

truth be told i never thought he's leave the NY , he had a cushy gig going on the Island , everything revolved around him and he got all the glory (the little there was) and none of the blame

this being said our opinions as fans mean nothing , we support the team and voice our opinions so whether we wanted to sign him or didn't it wasn't our call nor our job

but this being said the post you replied too was correct , we had AM/Kadri as our top 2 C's , we had MM/Willie as our top end wings , we needed D and depth that complemented our core
I’m not arguing with what you say we needed. And before the signing not many believed he was coming so a few may have poopooed the idea. The fact remains the day it happened there probably was a yippee by 100% of the posters here. That’s all I’m saying.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I’m not arguing with what you say we needed. And before the trade not many believed he was coming so a few may have poopooed the idea. The fact remains the day it happened there probably was a yippee by 100% of the posters here. That’s all I’m saying.
not 100% and but it was high %

as for the people who didn't want him and there were a few , i/they would have been a little more reserved than usual considering the anger voicing a dissenting opinion would have triggered had they been more vocal

The Shrike

Jul 13, 2008
Toronto

also the post you replied too was correct , we had AM/Kadri as our top 2 C's , we had MM/Willie as our top end wings , we needed D and depth that complemented our core what we didn't need was a high priced ufa Center
Had the cap gone up the way it was projected before Covid hit and tanked league wide revenues that wouldn't have been a problem. The only way anyone could have forseen a problem at that point would be if they are psychic and foretold a once in a hundred year epidemic.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
not 100% and but it was high %

as for the people who didn't want him and there were a few , i/they would have been a little more reserved than usual considering the anger voicing a dissenting opinion would have triggered had they been more vocal
I know what you mean…… lmao

The Shrike

Jul 13, 2008
Toronto
The picture I had in mind for day one of training camp is Berube with Marner and Nylander in a headlock under each arm. The caption above Mitch is "waaaaah", and the one above Willy is "stop whining"

• Haha
Reactions: LiseL

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
If they don't do their job... sitting them, limiting ice time, whatever other punishment the staff deems worthy.
when the blues won the cup in 2019, who wasnt doing their job? who did you want to sit? and limit ice time? and punish? your asking for things that werent even necessary...

you got quotes from former players, staff, coaches, gms... and berube himself... all about holding players accountable... what more do you want?

People want accountability for on ice play, no?
no one said otherwise
Is your version of accountability just telling players to play a certain way and that is all?

accountability:​

an obligation or willingness to accept responsibility or to account for one's actions...

...what they hell is wrong with that? I think we need more of that actually...

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Had the cap gone up the way it was projected before Covid hit and tanked league wide revenues that wouldn't have been a problem. The only way anyone could have forseen a problem at that point would be if they are psychic and foretold a once in a hundred year epidemic.
Had the cap gone up, the cost of UFA's would have also gone up proportionally. It was a bad idea to make your #2C one of the highest paid players in the league, when you already had a good one in Kadri.

horner

May 22, 2007
Any thing can happen in the world that can throw the market into a tailspin.
The main thing is we didn't need JT at that time we should have still been building our team.
Defence was never a priority and still isn't until hopefully this off season.

They jumped the gun on the rebuild .

Reactions: notDatsyuk

The Shrike

Jul 13, 2008
Toronto
Had the cap gone up, the cost of UFA's would have also gone up proportionally. It was a bad idea to make your #2C one of the highest paid players in the league, when you already had a good one in Kadri.
And Tavares cap percentage would have gone down as well, making it less of a problem as the years moved forward and the cap surged past $100 million the way it was projected. Without foreknowledge of the coming epidemic, it was a good signing that sped up the rebuild significantly.

horner

May 22, 2007
Berube no more back handed passes in the dzone
Berube everyone get stick and body in the lane
Berube we will learn to play the right way

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
1. Is he going to be a 60 pt C without PP1 time and playing as 3C with guys like McMann and Robbie or Calle?
2. Is he willing to sign at 4mil?
3. How slow will he be next year and the years after that?

Personally, unless he takes a huge discount like 2-3mil, I just don’t see how he fits with the Leafs.
#1 depends on who you think the new 2C is, they aren't easy to find. There are teams looking for years to find that guy. If current Tavares is your 2C its not a bad thing. Just not for his current pay.

#2 I don't think there is a 60 point C that would sign at $4m, that's my point. i guess we will see after next year where he is at. Fair pay is fair pay. You can't just tell Tavares to take a discount because you are tired of seeing his ugly overpaid face. Marner is supposed to be a great defensive winger. Maybe he should earn his money and use that to help fill in the defincies of his line mates. After all that's why you pay guys 8 digits.

#3 how much slower can he get?

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I’m not arguing with what you say we needed. And before the signing not many believed he was coming so a few may have poopooed the idea. The fact remains the day it happened there probably was a yippee by 100% of the posters here. That’s all I’m saying.
This was then and this is now.
Pretty sure we were all thrilled with Babs being the coach years ago.
I don’t understand why we are married to something that happened in the past and that we can’t change our minds later. Variables change over time and that’s why our ideas, views… will also change due to that.
Like we were all once a 9 yrs old, and I am 100% sure when people asked us how old we were, we told them we were 9. Now that we are older, does that mean we were liars telling people we were 9?
Who cares that we all celebrated JT when he signed, the important thing now- is JT a good fit on the team at 11mil? Same with MM, is he a good fit for the at 10.893mil with an expected new 100mil deal. Or can the Leafs use that cap space to get players who are better fit than JT and MM?
The goal is to win the Cup and not to have MM win the Cup for the Leafs.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
#1 depends on who you think the new 2C is, they aren't easy to find. There are teams looking for years to find that guy. If current Tavares is your 2C its not a bad thing. Just not for his current pay.

#2 I don't think there is a 60 point C that would sign at $4m, that's my point. i guess we will see after next year where he is at. Fair pay is fair pay. You can't just tell Tavares to take a discount because you are tired of seeing his ugly overpaid face. Marner is supposed to be a great defensive winger. Maybe he should earn his money and use that to help fill in the defincies of his line mates. After all that's why you pay guys 8 digits.

#3 how much slower can he get?
1. Internally, think Domi can be a 2C. UFAs, Lindholm is interesting.
Looking around we don’t need a top end 2C just someone who got a great 2 way game and can do the job. Would rather have Coyle than JT as 2C.
2. Unless this new 2C play on PP1, he is not going to get 60pts. Also ROR was signed for 4.25mil and his D game is still miles better than JT.
3. It is not just his foot speed but also his reaction time. And to your question, just look at TJ. From playing in the top 4 to being press box within ONE year.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
And Tavares cap percentage would have gone down as well, making it less of a problem as the years moved forward and the cap surged past $100 million the way it was projected. Without foreknowledge of the coming epidemic, it was a good signing that sped up the rebuild significantly.
Why did the rebuild need to be sped up?

Seems to me it was a pretty bad idea that led to poor asset management for most of Dubas' tenure as he kept doubling down and adding past their prime vets.. But the rookie GM needed to feed his ego right off the bat.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
This was then and this is now.
Pretty sure we were all thrilled with Babs being the coach years ago.
I don’t understand why we are married to something that happened in the past and that we can’t change our minds later. Variables change over time and that’s why our ideas, views… will also change due to that.
Like we were all once a 9 yrs old, and I am 100% sure when people asked us how old we were, we told them we were 9. Now that we are older, does that mean we were liars telling people we were 9?
Who cares that we all celebrated JT when he signed, the important thing now- is JT a good fit on the team at 11mil? Same with MM, is he a good fit for the at 10.893mil with an expected new 100mil deal. Or can the Leafs use that cap space to get players who are better fit than JT and MM?
The goal is to win the Cup and not to have MM win the Cup for the Leafs.
You make some good points, it’s the revisionist / hindsight smugness that rubs me the wrong way. As you say things change with time but even when JT signed some fans did say the last year or 2 may be bad. Well so they are, for sure JT’s next deal won’t be as high. In Marner it’s a safe bet we get at least a point a game. Having 11 million to spend does not guarantee we replace that. Brodie and Bertuzzi are about 11 million. I’d keep Mitch thanks.

‘Having said that if we aren’t going to allow Mitch to be Mitch but try and make him some defensive hard hitting snarly power forward then it is best for the club to let him go. Which brings me back to what I’ve always believed, he won’t waive and will more than likely walk for nothing.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Which brings me back to what I’ve always believed, he won’t waive and will more than likely walk for nothing.
I think this is the least likely outcome. If he plays the season here and the team has a good year and wins under the new coach, I imagine the team would resign him.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
You make some good points, it’s the revisionist / hindsight smugness that rubs me the wrong way. As you say things change with time but even when JT signed some fans did say the last year or 2 may be bad. Well, so they are for sure JT’s next deal won’t be as high. In Marner it’s a safe bet we get at least a point a game. Having 11 million to spend does not guarantee we replace that. Brodie and Bertuzzi are about 11 million. I’d keep Mitch thanks.

‘Having said that if we aren’t going to allow Mitch to be Mitch but try and make him some defensive hard hitting snarly power forward then it is best for the club to let him go. Which brings me back to what I’ve always believed, he won’t waive and will more than likely walk for nothing.
We know JT’s deal will be bad the last two years and since it is the last year, I am not surprised and that’s why Tre should ask him to waive.
As for MM, I said it in the Marner thread. If he is looking for 100mil. He really should not play out the contract with the Leafs as he is essentially betting on himself to perform in the playoffs as if he craps the bed in playoffs again, don’t think a lot of teams will table a 100mil offer. As I am 100% sure he knows if he had a good playoffs, the new contract will be official on July 1 coming into playoffs a month ago.
Best case for him is to move to a playoff bubble team that just miss but he gets his points in the regular season, that way the recency bias will be his regular season instead of playoffs.
Blues will be great for him as they got some fire power, great city, close enough to Toronto. Blues can also send Parayko, Binnington and a 1st to the Leafs. Cap wise is also about even too.

Taylor Halls Teeth

Jul 11, 2018
Edmonton
For there to be no search and just handing the job over to someone I think they need to do better than Berube. I don think this makes the Leafs better.
Why would you say there was no search? Unless you think they should have waited to see which other coaches might get fired they probably talked to everyone who they were interested in. Who did they miss?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad