Confirmed with Link: Craig Berube named the 32nd Coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
Yes of course. The point I was making referred to their poor team play in the last few weeks /games of the season where they were chasing 70 or 100pts for Willy and not prepping the game style for the playoffs
they should have been playing playoff style hockey much earlier on in the season. This is one belief i share in common with Berube. There is no such thing as a switch you need to get better as the season goes and bring the intensity all season.

My view is those 2 players could hit those milestones without a team wide chase for them because theyre that talented and not breaking from structure will likely keep both of them white hot.

Reactions: weems and Kazparov

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
It pretty obvious that if they converted a few powerplays to goals, they would have advanced. Really hard to imagine this is a player thing

It's happened across multiple systems and will multiple different PP coaches... it may be.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I agree but I hardly call that "going through the motions". If anything he has to perform to have any shot for that Team Canada.

This team is built around the 3 amigos who are playoff duds. You want to run all 3 back? Mitch is afraid of his shadow. He needs to go. You are not winning anything with him making $11+m and quarterbacking your PP. Have you not seen enough of him in the playoffs?
i meant going through the motions when he gave a fist bump

Willie isn't a playoff dud and one of the biggest issues on this team is trying to justify paying JT 11m by giving him ice time and linemates he doesn't deserve , also Johnny has been the biggest playoff dud among the core 4

i'll put my feeling about the team this way ,if i made you GM 6 yrs ago instead of Dummy would you have

tried to build a finesse team around the 3 kids who you already knew weren't the tough gritty type and also signed a 2nd line C that you didn't need to a 11m dollar contract then try to sell it as a discount

or would you have

surrounded the core 3 with tougher grittier players to compliment them as well as spending the 11mm on pieces the team actually needed

Reactions: sunstersun

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
i meant going through the motions when he gave a fist bump

Willie isn't a playoff dud and one of the biggest issues on this team is trying to justify paying JT 11m by giving him ice time and linemates he doesn't deserve , also Johnny has been the biggest playoff dud among the core 4

i'll put my feeling about the team this way ,if i made you GM 6 yrs ago instead of Dummy would you have

tried to build a finesse team around the 3 kids who you already knew weren't the tough gritty type and also signed a 2nd line C that you didn't need to a 11m dollar contract then try to sell it as a discount

or would you have

surrounded the core 3 with tougher grittier players to compliment them as well as spending the 11mm on pieces the team actually needed
I would have brought in Tavares for $10m and not bent to the 3 amigos. It all went to shits the day Shanny handed the keys to a stick boy and he brought in Keefe. I would have fired Dubas and Keefe after the loss to the Habs, instead Shanny continued the charade for 3 more years and here we are.

Reactions: Shanwhatplan

Da Mash

Jul 14, 2022
Blues were a bottom 5 offence when Yeo was fired. They were a top 10 offence for the remainder of the season.

Putting it all on the goalie is extremely shallow analysis.
It sure was a big factor….no?

I mean if it wasn’t ….why is his playoff record so poor if you take that playoff run out?

The goalie has been living off that cup run for yrs now.

8-16 the next 3 yrs in playoffs. Guess making players accountable didn’t work then

Last edited:

myleafs

May 25, 2021
A few things.

First the leafs were so proud of their new hire they released a news dump tweet at 5pm on Friday of a long weekend, WTF.

Second I am curious on the assistants as there is general consensus Berube is a great motivator coach but needs to have systems guys to help round out the edges.

Finally I hope he brings a new approach to regular season hockey that is more translatable to postseason even if it means sacrificing some player points. I think this has been biggest coaching failure of this team in the past 5 years. Played in a way that worked great in regular season and just hoped it would eventually translate to the postseason. It hasn’t.

Of course that will rely on major personnel change as well.

I’m a little more hopeful after this hire but still waiting to see what else happens.
At the very least I don't see Berube allowing the no shows they did the last few weeks of the season while they chased individual accolades or thinking that they can turn on a switch whenever they want. They did the opposite of ramping up for the post season.

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
Pretty sure that was Boy Wonder’s quote…….

Great start………

Yup, going to be ugly for 34, 16, 88, 44 if they continue to mail it in………
easily googlable:

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
I've seen people say he will hold players accountable, I am just asking for an example because I don't know if he has.
St. Louis Blues: Why Craig Berube Succeeds Where Others Failed

"So, why have players seemed to buy in with Craig Berube more than others? They’ve all preached about playing a certain way and buying in to a certain style, so why has Berube seen such results?

It mainly boils down to how he handles players. Berube is able to handle each player in their own way as opposed to a one-size fits all approach"
"That’s because Berube can go to a player and tell them exactly what he needs from them in a certain role. It sounds like a small difference, but to an individual, it can make a world of difference."

"For example, the reason Ivan Barbashev fit in so well with the Blues top line is not just a matter of adaptable talent. According to 101 ESPN, Berube told Barbashev he doesn’t need to provide offense like a normal top-line guy.

The Blues need him to get to the net and rush in on the forecheck. That’s all stuff he’s been doing on the fourth line, so the only difference is ice time"
"The same is true of convincing a guy like Alex Steen to go to the fourth line. Steen knew he still had gas left in the tank and other players would have fought for a higher spot in the lineup more.

Berube sold the longtime forward that it would be best for him and the team. Less ice time meant he could go harder each shift, be more productive per shift and also prolong his career."
"Jordan Kyrou. Whatever direction was given to the young forward in the offseason hit the right chords because Kyrou hit the ice running, playing a great Blues style without dropping any of his offensive abilities."
"Berube has found ways to get these guys to fit in with top-nine positions when applicable, instead of banishing them to the fourth line. That was something few could understand with past coaches. How could you expect a player, you hope might be a top-six forward, to flourish when you’re putting them on the fourth line and asking them to play a fourth-line style of game?"
"Berube has figured out ways to talk to each individual and spell out what their expectations are. He still wants everyone to play the Blues style, which is supposed to be aggressive and heavy on the forecheck, but Berube finds a way to tweak their game without making it a completely different way to think."
"Something has to be said about the overall talents of those players in the first place, but it circles back to the instruction Berube gives them. He takes away the ability to overthink.

He’s not allowing a guy to think they have to do more than they’re capable of. He’s not asking a player that should hit sixth be a cleanup hitter and hit homeruns the way the St. Louis Cardinals have in recent years.

It sounds over simplified, but it’s actually hard to do. It’s very hard for a coach to truly know how to handle each player as an individual instead of just telling everyone this is how we do it."

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
This is why I'm hesitant to get rid of JT.

If we can survive his cap hit one more season he's going to be the steal of the league on his Grandpa cap hit to retire a Leaf.

JT can probably still crush any of the 3 amigos in the gym.
Willy and AM are known gym rats. where do you people come up with this shit from.

Reactions: GreatDayforHockey

myleafs

May 25, 2021
This is why I'm hesitant to get rid of JT.

If we can survive his cap hit one more season he's going to be the steal of the league on his Grandpa cap hit to retire a Leaf.

JT can probably still crush any of the 3 amigos in the gym.
Maybe but dont expect him to have your back on the ice. The amount of times our top guys including him just looked the other way when one of our guys was being abused was not good. I cant imagine Berube will like that. Tavarres gives a blue collar effort but has no snarl and is as uninspiring as it gets. imo

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Fine by me. I'd rather the Leafs play at a higher work rate, better pace and go attack the net directly than that plodding mid tempo, holding the puck too long style a lot of us are sick and tired of.
Me too. A more direct game plan makes lesser talented guys more useful

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Mitch - 90 plus point player who is very good defensively and in his prime -trade the piece of garbage

You obviously haven't watched him play.

Nobody, and I mean nobody, is saying trade him as a means to shield JT. Well except you.

JT - declining 60ish pt player who is mediocre defensively and relies on his elite linemates for his production - yeah baby re-sign him and whatever we pay him we'll spin it as a discount

If he signs for less money to play on the third or fourth line then yes, it would be a discount. Less money=discount. Really not a tough concept to grasp.

how else would you like me to take these opinions ?

I'd like you to take them with an ounce of common sense. Obviously a tall ask though.

Categorically incorrect

No, it isn't. Other superstars have signed for less.

Willy and AM are known gym rats. where do you people come up with this shit from.

First time I'm ever hearing about them being gym rats. Where do you come up with this shit?

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
But you don't get a 60 point centre for $4m.
1. Is he going to be a 60 pt C without PP1 time and playing as 3C with guys like McMann and Robbie or Calle?
2. Is he willing to sign at 4mil?
3. How slow will he be next year and the years after that?

Personally, unless he takes a huge discount like 2-3mil, I just don’t see how he fits with the Leafs.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
It sure was a big factor….no?

I mean if it wasn’t ….why is his playoff record so poor if you take that playoff run out?

The goalie has been living off that cup run for yrs now.

8-16 the next 3 yrs in playoffs. Guess making players accountable didn’t work then
Before the Cup run, Blues was a lot like Leafs, they seemed like they can do well but just fell short.
The year after the Cup run was COVID/lockdown and they were pretty good before the lockdown and some might say they can repeat. Also they lost Jay to heart attack before the lockdown that year.
Post COViD year, they lost Pietra to Vegas. In a way, they lost their top pairing Dmen and never recovered from it. Then Vince Dunn to Seattle later that year.
Now I am not saying Berube is some sort of genius but there are circumstances that needed to be consider after their Cup run.

Reactions: Shanwhatplan

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

Not trying to take away from all this, because I think what he is being praised for here is great, and if he is good at getting everyone to buy into their role, fantastic.

But from what I read, none of it is holding a player accountable, which is what people have said he has done and will do.

Also, I am pretty sure every coach does this, but maybe Berube is better than most, which would be fantastic.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
I predict Berube will hand the captaincy over to Matthews this fall. Not that he deserves it, but Tavares can not lead the team to anything at this point. Putting more on Matthews shoulders might be what he needs to take the next step. It worked with Sundin.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Habs made it to the cup finals 2021
Who cares

Only cups matter
Leafs are not even close
I would take that. Going deep and putting in a good effort is all I could ask for. I would take a bunch of deep runs with no cups than no deep runs and no cups. Playoff hockey is fun, so the more I get to see the leafs battle deep into them the better. Of course who doesnt want to win the cup but it certainly isnt the only reason I watch.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Not trying to take away from all this, because I think what he is being praised for here is great, and if he is good at getting everyone to buy into their role, fantastic.

But from what I read, none of it is holding a player accountable, which is what people have said he has done and will do.

Also, I am pretty sure every coach does this, but maybe Berube is better than most, which would be fantastic.

This clip is of Berube speaking with the media in February of 2023, publicly holding his players accountable - specifically his highest paid guys - for not getting the job done in a very winnable game.

This is the exact press conference Berube could have given after Leafs latest departure from the playoffs. An example of what has made Berube so successful. His demands of himself and his players are high and he preaches work ethic, teamwork and playing the game the right way.

For too many years, the Leafs have lacked the proper motivation to play a full 60 minutes, often digging themselves an early hole in games against subpar teams and NHL bottom-feeders. Those days are over with Berube at the helm. If guys are not performing up to the standard, Berube is not going to sit by idly and watch someone make him look like a fool.

Accountability is important in this sport and while there's been a lot of talk about accountability in Toronto over the years, there's been very little actual accountability for the players. Now, with Berube on board, it's a lesson the Leafs will either learn quickly or learn the hard way. Berube was the perfect guy for the job.

Last edited:

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I predict Berube will hand the captaincy over to Matthews this fall. Not that he deserves it, but Tavares can not lead the team to anything at this point. Putting more on Matthews shoulders might be what he needs to take the next step. It worked with Sundin.
respectfully disagree, Lanny MacDonald was a fringe player when the Flames won their cup, but was still a good captain, I think 34, or whoever should have to earn the C...........

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
setting a game plan for each individual player and expecting them to execute isn't holding them accountable?

what is holding them accountable to you?
Just ignore them. They’re already setting the tone the Berube is not a good coach without willing to give him a chance. In the past was willling to give everyone a chance regardless of perception but the last year no one gets a chance. Every move is questionable that Tre has done.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
respectfully disagree, Lanny MacDonald was a fringe player when the Flames won their cup, but was still a good captain, I think 34, or whoever should have to earn the C...........
I would have said Rielly should be captain but he didnt have a captain like season this year, including the playoffs where he usually shows his stuff. Not sure who I would want at this point, nobody jumps out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad