Confirmed with Link: Craig Berube named the 32nd Coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Believe it or not, lots of fans and management want that.

There's an old saying.... Offence sells tickets. Defence wins championships.

For the hardcore fan, they'll accept anything to win. If it means low scoring boring hockey like LA Kings and Jon Quick 10 years ago winning games 1-0, 2-1 and 3-2, so be it.

A lot of people are casual fans. They'll support their local team, but they dont follow the team, players, stats etc... They just care about tons of goal scoring, homeruns or nailing twenty 3 pt bombs from beyond the arc. As long as the game footage is exciting, that's the most important thing since the regular season is most of the revenue and duration, while playoffs are short and limited money.

The issue with this saying is defensively we have been good in the playoffs for a long time and been bad offensively... where are our championships?

This saying, like the saying of building from the net out, is just catchy and not much else.

Some of these "fans" are happy just getting a participation trophy every year. The rest of us want Lord Stanley to be brought home.

Everyone wants the Cup, but many people disagree with how to do it.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Didn't Keefe try to rattle the core? Something about their best players needing to be their best players? Didn't Marner come out and say him and they boys had a talk with him about that? Then Keefe had to call a press conference to apologize? Maybe I got that wrong.

Maybe with a new Boss Shannahan might be realizing he needs to put playoff success over his children or he's going to be out of a job.
I got the impression that Shanny had already been told that well before the presser. To me, Tre looked to be the one who would be in charge of reshaping this roster.

Reactions: myleafs

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
He's not going to bench a 90+ point selke forward, I can guarantee you that much. He's demanding, but he's not an idiot.

Sure he would.

He would drop him down to third or fourth line, or bench him.

Plenty of stars have been benched.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Aside from his contract demands which people get unreasonably pissy abou (he is one of the very best players in the league and he demands to be paid as such)

And yet other superstars don't do this, because they get that it isn't all about them.

People forget the Sens were the first team this offseason to interview him and wanted to offer him a contract but he said No lol

Because he wanted the Toronto job, or because he looked at the Sens and thought "eff this, I don't need a job that bad"?

I'd much rather overpay a very good player than endlessly make excuses for a mediocre player and what do you mean by cheap ? 1 to 2m cheap or 5-7m cheap and we come up with a story how some mystery team was going to offer him 8-10m x 7yrs so we can say good ole Johnny did us a solid .

also who's going to carry Johnny if we trade Mitch , all i heard was constant whining how Willie wasn't good enough to be his winger so which wingers are next up to be run out of town like Mitch to deflect criticism away from JT ?

If you think people are hating on Bitchy Mitchy as a means to deflect criticism from Tavares then you've disqualified yourself from this discussion.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Tavares is too well regarded in the game. He's gonna be here:

View attachment 872947
View attachment 872948
too well regarded ? take a look at the roster , he's pretty much the only name player outside Bedard and there not going to give the C to a teenager and love the look on his face , he couldn't give a f*** about his team , he's just going through the motions

and what is it with everyone coming up with endless excuses to re-sign Tavares ? wtf does anyone owe this guy that he gets a free pass and a lifetime contract while every other player gets chucked under the bus and driven out of town ?

I'm also wondering when the goal changed from winning the cup to catering to JT .

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
The Leafs turn over about 25-30% of the roster every summer, and the results are more or less carbon copies of themselves year over year in the first round despite these big changes in personnel. So it's not even a roster problem, whatever that looks like any given year but specifically a Keefe, Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Tavares and Rielly problem.

We simply can't find 5 guys who will do all their jobs for them when it really matters, so we need a guy who can get more juice out of them, whomever is remaining.
I agree. There are always roster issues at some level and they will continue to be addressed. In game tactics and strategy is what we are talking about here.
I could care less if they only got a wildcard spot. To me, it's all about the compete level from the players from top to bottom, where they leave NOTHING on the ice, they compete EVERY shift, they take a hit to make a play, they block shots, and more. If they do this and lose, I will be okay with that, especially if they are accountable for their play.

All the talk about this core and how they are such great players. Even with all the regular season success they've had, they have NEVER won the division once, let alone even a hint of the President's Trophy! Of course that does not guarantee any playoff success, but it does show that

Agreed, but don’t you think that they will also be looking to add players who fit the mold/style of play that both Tre and Berube prefer? I know that Berube doesn’t have an actual say in who they acquire (and if I’ve said that before, which I probably have, then I was totally wrong), but more to how they both have an affinity towards those type of players.
There isn't any magic players. There is sufficient skill. They just need to execute what the coach wants. Except for a few instances (selective benching), it didn't appear as if these players were playing in any way other than Keefe directed. Maybe he didn't have the juice to impose his will with these players but I somehow doubt it. In any event, if they don't play as perscribed, I have no doubt that this coach will bench players if they fall out of line. NMC or not, he could make their lives miserable to the point they will demand a trade. They are all really good NHL players. They will be happier somewhere else if they don't like the system.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
The issue with this saying is defensively we have been good in the playoffs for a long time and been bad offensively... where are our championships?

This saying, like the saying of building from the net out, is just catchy and not much else.

Everyone wants the Cup, but many people disagree with how to do it.
It pretty obvious that if they converted a few powerplays to goals, they would have advanced. Really hard to imagine this is a player thing

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
too well regarded ? take a look at the roster , he's pretty much the only name player outside Bedard and there not going to give the C to a teenager and love the look on his face , he couldn't give a f*** about his team , he's just going through the motions

and what is it with everyone coming up with endless excuses to re-sign Tavares ? wtf does anyone owe this guy that he gets a free pass and a lifetime contract while every other player gets chucked under the bus and driven out of town ?

I'm also wondering when the goal changed from winning the cup to catering to JT .
So he flew half way across the world to "go through the motions"? I'll agree he is no longer the player he once was and it be great to rid ourselves of that cap hit but I doubt you would give him credit for helping an old lady cross the street.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
If you think people are hating on Bitchy Mitchy as a means to deflect criticism from Tavares then you've disqualified yourself from this discussion.
Mitch - 90 plus point player who is very good defensively and in his prime -trade the piece of garbage

JT - declining 60ish pt player who is mediocre defensively and relies on his elite linemates for his production - yeah baby re-sign him and whatever we pay him we'll spin it as a discount

how else would you like me to take these opinions ?

Reactions: Albz

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Mitch - 90 plus point player who is very good defensively and in his prime -trade the piece of garbage

JT - declining 60ish pt player who is mediocre defensively and relies on his elite linemates for his production - yeah baby re-sign him and whatever we pay him we'll spin it as a discount

Are you signing Bitchy Mitchy for $100m after his contract runs out? If no, they get something for him and change the core in one swoop. Tavares on the other hand has a chance of returning for a team friendly number.

Bitchy Mitchy has to go at this point. You can look at moving him but we can ride out the last year of his deal if you had to.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
So he flew half way across the world to "go through the motions"? I'll agree he is no longer the player he once was and it be great to rid ourselves of that cap hit but I doubt you would give him credit for helping an old lady cross the street.
do you actually believe he went to the Worlds for the first time in over a decade because he gave a f*** about playing in that tourny or his team mates ?

he went there because he thinks it'll help him make the main team Canada in the upcoming events

Last edited:

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

I am against keeping JT but most here when resigning JT is about 4mil contract and that’s a 7mil difference.

do you actually believe he went to the Worlds for the first time in over a decade because he gave a f*** about playing in that tourny or his team mates ?

he went there because he thinks it'll help him make the main team Canada team in the upcoming events
He went there to learn lessons. He even said it himself.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I agree. There are always roster issues at some level and they will continue to be addressed. In game tactics and strategy is what we are talking about here.

I don't know if Berube is a tactician at all. Colaiacovo compared him to a Pat Quinn who was more of a motivator than an x's and o's guy, but I assume with a new voice at least whatever playbook other teams have on the Keefe era Leafs will be thrown out the window because they'll do things differently, have a different energy, whatever.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Are you signing Bitchy Mitchy for $100m after his contract runs out? If no, they get something for him and change the core in one swoop. Tavares on the other hand has a chance of returning for a team friendly number.
i say let get rid of

bitchy mitchy
slick willie
matty 5 head

and build around the only perfect player in the history of the game

JOHNNY Mumbles TAVARES

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I don't know if Berube is a tactician at all. Colaiacovo compared him to a Pat Quinn who was more of a motivator than an x's and o's guy, but I assume with a new voice at least whatever playbook other teams have on the Keefe era Leafs will be thrown out the window because they'll do things differently, have a different energy, whatever.
At the end of the day, each coach will implement their own style.
It is up to the players to execute. Berube seem to play a more direct North South style, that’s quite different than Keefe.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

he went there because he thinks it'll help him make the main team Canada team in the upcoming events
I agree but I hardly call that "going through the motions". If anything he has to perform to have any shot for that Team Canada.

i say let get rid of

bitchy mitchy
slick willie
matty 5 head

and build around the only perfect player in the history of the game

JOHNNY Mumbles TAVARES
This team is built around the 3 amigos who are playoff duds. You want to run all 3 back? Mitch is afraid of his shadow. He needs to go. You are not winning anything with him making $11+m and quarterbacking your PP. Have you not seen enough of him in the playoffs?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
At the end of the day, each coach will implement their own style.
It is up to the players to execute. Berube seem to play a more direct North South style, that’s quite different than Keefe.

Fine by me. I'd rather the Leafs play at a higher work rate, better pace and go attack the net directly than that plodding mid tempo, holding the puck too long style a lot of us are sick and tired of.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I am against keeping JT but most here when resigning JT is about 4mil contract and that’s a 7mil difference.

He went there to learn lessons. He even said it himself.
your right people think going from 11 to 4 is a great deal for us without taking into consideration if he's even going to be worth 4m in a couple of years

did you see the new Netflix movie

John Tavares - a lifetime of learning

Last edited:

myleafs

May 25, 2021
I think his point is there's no reason to be hyped behind him and label him the next big thing like this fanbase always does. This team has gone through 2 coaches now with this core and still didn't deliver. The mood should be melancholy not another hype train. Until proven otherwise Berube is just another cog, part of the revolving doors of mediocrity that is the current Leafs core. Why can't we learn why do we have to get so hyped every time.
I would say im not hyped but more relieved that there is some sort of change. Its gonna take more than just a coaching change to get me hyped, but I am open and more than willing to get hyped if they make the appropriate moves.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
I got the impression that Shanny had already been told that well before the presser. To me, Tre looked to be the one who would be in charge of reshaping this roster.
I'll be interested to see what Tre does differently. So far he did some changes on the edges to mixed results but still the same basic Shannaplan. But now that he's had a year to observe, he got to pick his coach and maybe get to make big picture changes to the roster.

Or Tre got his coach. Marner comes back with a contract to play for lights it up with the incentive of a new long term contract. Everyone thinks the coach has got these guys going to their potential. Marner signs another moster contract and then we blame everything on Tavares next year and move his money to a better fit of player/players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad