Confirmed with Link: Craig Berube named the 32nd Coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
You mock the analytics but the AVS are doing best of both and changing systems based in numbers mid series. I think there's a place for both equally.

We traded for one small fourth liner and somehow that makes us an analytics team. We don’t spam shots like Carolina, we don’t have 4 lines of speed like Colorado, I guess we prioritize possession to an unhealthy degree but that’s about it.

You always hear about Malgin, a 4th liner that didn’t play a playoff game for us, being a moneyball add, but I’d love to hear how paying premium deadline prices for Foligno, ROR, Acciari, Muzzin, McCabe, Lyubushkin, Schenn and adding guys like Ritchie in UFA has anything at all to do with moneyball or analytics. We got slower every year, but because we added a small 4th liner once it’s going to take a decade to get rid of the stink and allow a GM to say the words “speed and skill” out loud without getting crucified, and we never even got a genuine speed and skill team for the trouble.

Reactions: ruaware41 and ER89

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Biggest question I have before this team actually plays hockey again:

Does Berube coming aboard (help) push Marner out the door (concern about what life will be like with a "hard" coach) or give Mitch more incentive to stick around (Berube is a coach that's won the Cup)?
It's become painfully obvious Marner cares about two things. Money and his regular season point totals. I don't think winning playoff games has ever crossed his mind, so option 1 is the obvious answer

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

Leafy Undergrowth

Feb 4, 2013
Not sure what to think. I'm hoping for the best. I'll still be disappointed if this is the only major change in the offseason (and we already missed out on yeeting Shanny).

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
From Lou/Babs to Dubas/Keefe back to Tre/Berube, it's like falling off a jet ski and getting back on, should be fun times ahead!

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
but I question sometimes if people played competitive sports growing up if they think coaches bother players this much.

For some coaches and some players, certainly.

I'd guess by far they are in the minority but it absolutely happens. There are plenty of former player biographies across all pro sports that will confirm as much.

But in this case I'm not suggesting Marner would have a problem with Berube personally but more the system he is likely going to bring with him. Think Tortorella in Vancouver for example.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
I love run and gun hockey.
I love 7 to 5 games
It requires all players to be engaged and be disciplined in their assignments
It requires speed
It requires a coach who can motivate all players
It requires risk
Most of all a goaltender
Dubas understood this but over paid stars thus hurting the team
Keefe knew this but couldn't control his stars
Berube cannot coach this style
The
Change will be interesting to watch

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
For @notbias
Winning a cup say you did a coos job as a coach, winning 1 series in years, not so much, so please tell me how berube didn't so his job well.

and for your pleasure:
Binnington had a .914 sv% in the cup run. That's 9th out of the last 11 cup winning goalies. So didn't ride a hot goalie. If you watched them they had great structure defensively and vicious a counterattack.

2020 boumeester collapsed in the season on the bench and covid killed their run where they were in contention for the president's cup, lost in the 1st round.
The next season they lost pie and Dunn for nothing and was a .500 team.
Next season they had a 109 point season and lost the the avs in the 2nd round but husso was horrible in net, sub .900 iirc
His last season with the blues Armstrong either was trying to retool or something. Perron O'Reilly Schwartz all gone for nothing.

Kind of going off memory here so please feel free to correct any of the details.

Seems if he has talent, he will do a good job. Also most likely he is here to change the culture of the dressing room. All sounds good to me.

So your turn. What's wrong with him?
Kyle didn't hire him.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
For some coaches and some players, certainly.

I'd guess by far they are in the minority but it absolutely happens. There are plenty of former player biographies across all pro sports that will confirm as much.

But in this case I'm not suggesting Marner would have a problem with Berube specifically but more the system he is likely going to bring with him. Think Tortorella in Vancouver for example.

I don't think they will start playing the trap all of a sudden.

If Berube comes in and plays pure defense to try to overcome our scoring issues, he is not the right man for the job.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
Why do we always pretend we are doing a full on search

Everyone knew it was going to be Berube pretty much after game 7

Same with treliving. We all knew he was coming once dubas screwed up and got himself fired
I think they were waiting on the Canes to get eliminated in order to ask Brindamour if he was interested. I personally am happy that we didn't go with Rod the Bod because his philosophy seems too close to Keefe's with the puck possession and spamming shots from the corners. We need some north south and speed...not doing circles and re-groups all the time.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

I am imagining Treliving doing a phone call to other candidates

1. Todd McLellan;
Tre: "Hi Tod, this Tre thank you for your time and meeting with us. We have chosen to go in another direction. We eish you well"

2. Gallant:
Tre: "Hi Gally this is is Tre, thank you for your time and. (gets cut off)
Gallant: "WTF are you talking about? we never met"
Tre: "oops sorry wrong number"

:laugh:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Not change enough. Need to hear he gets to clean house and put together his own staff. No more Dubas holdovers, they suck. Get the suck outta here!

Da Cool Rula

Sep 8, 2017
Montego Bay, Jamaica
I see Austin becoming an even more complete player. Using his size even more. Guess Domi and Bert need to be back. Tough to trade but I just don't think Marner will ever fit into Berubes system. Nylander will have his highs and lows. But I think he can somewhat adjust. JT anyone's guess.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts

Fi2-1f2WYAMTa9t.jpg:large

likecheese

Oct 21, 2019
I'm guessing that if he ever makes an innocuous comment to the effect that the opponent's best players were better than our best players, he won't be having to walk it back the next day.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I want the Blue and White to have black and blue in it for the other team.
I want opposing players to develop explosive diarrhea when they come into our building for the playoffs.

• Haha
Reactions: Superstar

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad