Confirmed with Link: Craig Berube named the 32nd Coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Great point, and the fact it's coming from somebody who also was told hes more of a motivator coach, when he has so much more to give, it's great considering they are completely from the same mold.
I have no doubt in my mind this is going to work for toronto, he is not going to take shit, he is going to keep players accountable.
Also expect a lot of turnover here soon, Berube loves big strong players, especially on the backend.
....like our playoff D?

myleafs

May 25, 2021
I hope this is a change for the better.

Change was definitely needed as typically Keefe was good for extending the season for about 7 games a season but we need to aim higher.

The list of guys available wasn't great with Gallant, Berube and McLellan being the big names.

Other guys that people consider good coaches were hired elsewhere like Maurice and Deboer...but they all got fired elsewhere.

Coaches are hired to be fired.
It cant end with the coach being the only significant change, but its a start.

Reactions: WTFMAN99

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
The players who have a problem with Berube are also the types who have problems playing a winning playoff style of hockey. If they don't like it, they can f*** off

Those young players haven't lost yet, there developing and he better ******* develop them or were not going to win anything

Reactions: aingefan

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
He is a good coach, but is he a fit for the current "core 4"? Seems like too much of a hard ass.
Who cares? These players are on their 3rd coach. One they whined outta town, one was a total push over. If they can't get er done with this guy, their sorry asses should be traded

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
That's a pretty rocking tune. My friend of misery (pretty fitting with this team 😭) is one of my favs from the Black album.
Based on his end of year presser I consider The God That Failed the Mitch Marner song.

……. just need to add more wah wah (and cowbell, of course. Always need more cowbell).

• Haha
Reactions: Metroid

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Who cares? These players are on their 3rd coach. One they whined outta town, one was a total push over. If they can't get er done with this guy, their sorry asses should be traded

Whined out of town? Babcock was going to miss the playoffs.

Keefe doesn't seem like a pushover from the Amazon series... but I am sure people's opinions won't change on him ever.

• Haha
Reactions: Brown Dog and JKG33

myleafs

May 25, 2021
What is the difference betwee Mike Babcock and Craig Berube as a coach?

Is Berube a good systems coach?

I know he is a hard ass like Babcock was.

Babcock had an absurd ego and was power hungry though and a manipilator. Hopefully Berube can be a hard nose coach with strong systems that help the team next year while maintaining a sense of normalcy in a coach - player relation
If he doesnt talk in 3rd person like babs that will be a good start.

• Haha
Reactions: hamzarocks

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
4 Years is important. It tells the players, much like it was supposed to when they hired Babcock; that "he will be around longer than many of you therefore you play the right way".

This team needs a makeover so Brads efforts will be the most monumental some of these players are too scarred, perhaps shellshocked is the right word and they need a new home. He will bring a bit of fire behind the bench but you need the right personnel who share the intensity.

As I said, coaches are responsible for 10-15% of the outcome, you need the right DNA in the lineup or it means little. You can put an Indy 500 champion behind the wheel but it doesn't mean anything if he is driving a Gremlin against a Porsche

agreed regarding personnel

you need players who are going to hear Chief lost his shit and then go out and perform instead of sulk like a moron. need players who understand that coach is losing his shit because they are not executing not because he hates them

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
looks like treliving is bringing back normal hockey operations to this team

No more newbie, advanced, 1000iq people being brought in

Just normal hockey minds.
Just dudes being bros. Going to the dirty areas. 4 lines banging. The kind of hockey that's been missing in Toronto for 15 years

Those young players haven't lost yet, there developing and he better ******* develop them or were not going to win anything
If those players don't buy in that's on them

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Just dudes being bros. Going to the dirty areas. 4 lines banging. The kind of hockey that's been missing in Toronto for 15 years

This doesn't describe St Louis... this does describe Calgary, so I am hoping this doesn't happen.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
I don't think I'm a Dubist but I've got some reservations

When Berube left the Blues the younger guys seemed to have a problem with him, I don't like that when guys like Cowan, Minten and Grebyonkin are close to pushing for places

Our experienced guys may need some tough love but he needs to develop those kids if we want success in the future
Younger guys didn't like him because he called them out for being lazy and not giving a damn.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
This doesn't describe St Louis... this does describe Calgary, so I am hoping this doesn't happen.
Did you miss the year they won the cup and seasons following?

Once players like Steen, Pietrangelo and ROR left the team went to shit. Because they were replaced with very Leafy players like Cryou

I don't see the hype. Assuming he comes here for the PP, wasn't Calgary like 26th?
Ehhh they don't have a lot of talent up front. I'd give him a shot, if it doesn't work out he goes.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
He's won the Stanley Cup in the last 5 years
He's generally well liked by his players
He's a no nonsense guy
He's intense

I'm sure he'll be fine.

I'm just glad it wasn't Quenneville which would have been a classless hire

Nobody is hiring Quenneville because Bettman will never let him back in the NHL.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Marner shitting himself now. He'll be waiving that NMC in no time now.

The dude holds people accountable and he won't put up with his chicken shit play.

wouldnt be surprised if he got a call from his agent saying "hey mitch this is ur contract year we need you to produce, this coach is all about team first u may not even put up points, waive and move to a team that will let u cheat for offense so we can milk the ufa market more money for you" (and internal voice more money from me from that bigger cut of that big contract) lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad