Sportsnet: Craig Berube hired as Head Coach (now official)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Marner's exit basically confirmed.. Berube is not having that.
It's funny because I see a a guy like Willie more in the cross hairs. Those half assed efforts at times, this guy will eat him alive. Anyways, all roads lead to Marner now, zzzzz.

Wonder who’s going to be apart of the staff as well
SO SO SO key. Word is Berube isn't a detail guy, he leaves that to his assistants. Big adds.

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
Sportsnet today were discussing how the analytics teams are starting to complain that coaches and GM's aren't listening to them. I think we reached peak analytics and we're seeing a return to a more balanced reality, hockey ain't math. A tool, an insight, interesting, informative, but not the main impetus to form player opinions. Dubas was a fad, even he evolved as his Moneyball approach failed.
I find analytics helps to get into the playoffs but you need balance with it.

the playoffs is such a different game and full of intangibles (toughness, compete, physicallity) it basically goes out the window. its not baseball

its why dubas and keefe failed miserably in the playoffs. Shanny got dooped by hiring Dubas.

xxOCZMSxx

Jan 20, 2015
So he looks mean and that’s an upgrade? I was more concerned about the assistants.

Not sure if this is an upgrade or not.
Thinking we will be calling for his head soon enough. Imagine if he makes the leafs miss the playoffs.

Or they have a 1st rd exit again and grit and and mean looking coach changed nothing.

Then what? :)
Bet you’re fun at parties…

• Haha
Reactions: TheVision

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I find analytics helps to get into the playoffs but you need balance with it.

the playoffs is such a different game and full of intangibles (toughness, compete, physicallity) it basically goes out the window lol

its why dubas and keefe failed miserably in the playoffs. Shanny got dooped by hiring Dubas.
It has a place, but hockey is so fluid, it just doesn't take like a static baseball analysis. Dubas is a charmer, a linguistic wizard.

Reactions: The Masters

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
It's funny because I see a a guy like Willie more in the cross hairs. Those half assed efforts at times, this guy will eat him alive. Anyways, all roads lead to Marner now, zzzzz.

SO SO SO key. Word is Berube isn't a detail guy, he leaves that to his assistants. Big adds.

I’m hoping he brings Steve Ott, leaves Mike Van Ryn on staff. I know people don’t like Van Ryn but the way the defense played in the playoffs was outstanding in the last 4 games.

Still praying that somehow Todd Is convinced to come run the PP and they do it by comittee

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
There’s a new Sheriff in town. Time to north/south it!
1715980613631.gif

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
This makes me happy. Getting rid of Keefe made me happy, but hiring a coach that can actually out coach other coaches, priceless

This has lost all meaning...

It is now what people say when they have nothing to critique anymore.

I would love to hear which coaches Berube has outcoached and how.

What system does Berube normally deploy offensively and defensively?

Regular season pt %:
Keefe: .665
Berube: .584

Playoff pt %:
Keefe: .432
Berube: .466

Marner's exit basically confirmed.. Berube is not having that.

Marner defensively is responsible and he works hard as much as people don't want to hear it.

Willy might be in the dog house if he goes cold, he offers nothing else.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
This makes me happy. Getting rid of Keefe made me happy, but hiring a coach that can actually out coach other coaches, priceless

I'm glad you're happy but I've got some reservations

I've got zero problems if he wants to hold guys accountable but his relationship with the some of the younger Blues players seemed pretty wrought

We've got plenty of youth to incorporate over the next few seasons, alienating the younger guys isn't going to help win us games

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
I’m hoping he brings Steve Ott, leaves Mike Van Ryn on staff. I know people don’t like Van Ryn but the way the defense played in the playoffs was outstanding in the last 4 games.

Still praying that somehow Todd Is convinced to come run the PP and they do it by comittee

It was mostly Woll having 2 amazing games and Samsanov having a good game...

I am not sure the team played that well in front of them, at least for how heavily we loaded up on defense only D, we should have been limiting chances more.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
This has lost all meaning...

It is now what people say when they have nothing to critique anymore.

I would love to hear which coaches Berube has outcoached and how.

What system does Berube normally deploy offensively and defensively?

Regular season pt %:
Keefe: .665
Berube: .584

Playoff pt %:
Keefe: .432
Berube: .466

Marner defensively is responsible and he works hard as much as people don't want to hear it.

Willy might be in the dog house if he goes cold, he offers nothing else.
One has a cup the other doesn't. Quite self explanatory.

Berube struggled when the blues team got blown apart, zero star power. Berube took the team from dfl to a cup. Seems he out coached someone.

Keefe, 1 playoff series win. Is that critical enough for you or is this soccer where winning the season is what matters?

Reactions: CabanaBoy5

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Don’t know much about Berube, so I’m not going to pump his tires by any means.

Results oriented business.
I like what I’ve heard, but as you say deeds not words. We’ve made multiple changes before. I need to see it.

Reactions: Da Mash

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
One has a cup the other doesn't. Quite self explanatory.

Berube struggled when the blues team got blown apart, zero star power. Berube took the team from dfl to a cup. Seems he out coached someone.

Keefe, 1 playoff series win. Is that critical enough for you or is this soccer where winning the season is what matters?

He struggled when Binnington wasn't on his game...

What specifically did Berube do as a coach?

You claimed he's outcoached other coaches, just curious when.

You seem very knowledgeable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad