Cpjhl junior development league

OttawaDad

May 15, 2015
This league only gets more ridiculous.
After a shaky first year, where 2 teams joined to ensure the had enough for one roster, 2/11 teams dropped out in the week leading up to the season start, and another was given a 2-week delay before dropping out, the league boots out two other teams. 2-3 of the remaining teams struggled to ice enough players for games, and 2 had to relocate after the first year. After year one, they have 6 teams.
So the the league decided, instead of making sure all of the teams they already had were viable, they would allow expansion. They grant new franchises to Bracebridge, Brampton, Coldwater and Creemore, to bring the league to 10 teams. Shortly after the announcement, Creemore bows out, dropping them to 9. Then they also take in 4 more teams from the former NCPHL; Ottawa, Lake Erie, Manawaki, and the Eastern Ontario Hockey Academy (one of which they had recently booted). So, in the month leading up to the start of their second season, they suddenly have 13 teams.
A week before the exhibition games start (and after the school year started), for season #2, the Brampton coach announces he is now coaching in Manawaki. Brampton merges with Grey Highlands, and the Brampton players are to move 130km away to continue playing.....and then there was 12.
With the league now into its 4th week, two teams are sharing the same coach, while Lake Erie has yet to play a single game, has no listed roster, and no listed home arena. Player issues are almost everywhere, 14/31 games have had at least one team ice 12 or fewer skaters, and in 3 of those games, both teams couldn't ice 3 full lines. The 'highlights' have been a 10 vs 8 game between Manawaki and Cobourg, and Grey Highlands taking 5 skaters to Seaforth. Only 5 teams have iced 3 lines in every game. Grey Highlands has rostered 21 skaters, but only 4 have played all 6 games, and 9 have played less than 3 of them....could be why they haven't iced a reasonable lineup in half of their games.

lol, remember 'checks and balances' to ensure that none of that would happen :)

valleydude

Mar 16, 2011
This sh*t show just keeps getting better.

---------------------

The O.V.W. are not related in any way to Sharpshooters, EOHA Wolves and The O-Town Rebels!

The Ottawa Valley Wolves has no Affiliation, Association or partnership of any kids with the Ottawa Sharpshooters, EOHA Wolves and the O-Town

DiggerD

Nov 21, 2014
lol, remember 'checks and balances' to ensure that none of that would happen :)
Yes, I remember the 'checks and balances' and the condescending tone of the OP. I can also remember him saying that I have 'lost all credibility', when I commented on the quality of play, poor attendance, and lack of players. After his team left the CPJHL, he trashed the league, only to return to it when the wonderful NCPHL folded.
They are now 2 months into season 2, and a league that bragged about 'checks and balances' that would protect the quality of play and ensure team stability, has been a revolving door.
-Almonte, one of the initial 11, won year 1, then were tossed from the league, eventually returning with the intake of the NCPHL teams.
-O-Town, another of the first 11, were tossed after year 1.
-Muskoka was one of 2 Northern Athletic Education teams that were slated to start in the first CPJHL, they amalgamated to have enough for one team. Muskoka were the top regular season team in year 1, but folded in the first week of the 2nd season.
-Norwood struggled with players all of season 1, then moved to Cobourg becoming the Galaxy, who folded 6 games into this season due to a lack of players.
-Akwesasne barely made it through the announcement phase of season 1, before folding. They claimed they would return for season 2.....but never did.
-Burks Falls was granted a 2 week delay in starting season 1, then disappeared.
-Coldwater Falcons folded before season 1, the Ice Wolves replaced them for season 2.
-Glengarry moved to Smith Falls after season 1.
- Brampton was an expansion team for season 2, but merged with Grey Highlands in the hopes of creating one healthy team
-Madawaska Valley was another expansion team, they only lasted 13 games before all records of the team were erased from the CPJHL website.
-Grey Highlands was an original, and are still struggling to ice a full team even after taking in players from Brampton and Madawaska after they folded.
-Creemore, like Akwesasne, made it to announcement (season 2) but no further.
Three teams from the original league have remained in the CPJHL, one of which has required 2 influxes of players from other teams. Not sure where the stability went. As for quality of play.......people can watch the youtube videos and judge for themselves, but one CPJHL team was excited to announce 2 signings, the first was a kid that had played Local League (no contact house league) the previous year, the other a handout from a struggling local JrC team.

OttawaDad

May 15, 2015
Yes, I remember the 'checks and balances' and the condescending tone of the OP. I can also remember him saying that I have 'lost all credibility', when I commented on the quality of play, poor attendance, and lack of players. After his team left the CPJHL, he trashed the league, only to return to it when the wonderful NCPHL folded.
They are now 2 months into season 2, and a league that bragged about 'checks and balances' that would protect the quality of play and ensure team stability, has been a revolving door.
-Almonte, one of the initial 11, won year 1, then were tossed from the league, eventually returning with the intake of the NCPHL teams.
-O-Town, another of the first 11, were tossed after year 1.
-Muskoka was one of 2 Northern Athletic Education teams that were slated to start in the first CPJHL, they amalgamated to have enough for one team. Muskoka were the top regular season team in year 1, but folded in the first week of the 2nd season.
-Norwood struggled with players all of season 1, then moved to Cobourg becoming the Galaxy, who folded 6 games into this season due to a lack of players.
-Akwesasne barely made it through the announcement phase of season 1, before folding. They claimed they would return for season 2.....but never did.
-Burks Falls was granted a 2 week delay in starting season 1, then disappeared.
-Coldwater Falcons folded before season 1, the Ice Wolves replaced them for season 2.
-Glengarry moved to Smith Falls after season 1.
- Brampton was an expansion team for season 2, but merged with Grey Highlands in the hopes of creating one healthy team
-Madawaska Valley was another expansion team, they only lasted 13 games before all records of the team were erased from the CPJHL website.
-Grey Highlands was an original, and are still struggling to ice a full team even after taking in players from Brampton and Madawaska after they folded.
-Creemore, like Akwesasne, made it to announcement (season 2) but no further.
Three teams from the original league have remained in the CPJHL, one of which has required 2 influxes of players from other teams. Not sure where the stability went. As for quality of play.......people can watch the youtube videos and judge for themselves, but one CPJHL team was excited to announce 2 signings, the first was a kid that had played Local League (no contact house league) the previous year, the other a handout from a struggling local JrC team.

Completely not surprised that the OP is MIA now. So much for integrity and honesty.

No Skin in the Game

Sep 15, 2015
Completely not surprised that the OP is MIA now. So much for integrity and honesty.

The Sharpshooters or EOHA website actually call out three families for non payment in the "financial Suspension" section because "We do not want any other Organizations to fall prey to families that ignore their contractual obligations." I can only imagine why they opted no to pay and continue in this questionable program.....

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
The Sharpshooters or EOHA website actually call out three families for non payment in the "financial Suspension" section because "We do not want any other Organizations to fall prey to families that ignore their contractual obligations." I can only imagine why they opted no to pay and continue in this questionable program.....

You've got to be kidding me. Absolutely reprehensible. Scammers having the gall to try and shame (by publicly naming minor children no less) their marks when they wise up.

It's almost like there's a reason why they have to operate outside of any regulatory body... they're crooks plain and simple.

Could you imagine the reaction if all the parents that have ripped off by these "alternative development paths" compiled a list of each league and team admin that "ignored their contractual obligations" and listed them and their children in every town that has had a league presence or family duped?

Last edited:
Reactions: DiggerD

OttawaDad

May 15, 2015
You've got to be kidding me. Absolutely reprehensible. Scammers having the gall to try and shame (by publicly naming minor children no less) their marks when they wise up.

It's almost like there's a reason why they have to operate outside of any regulatory body... they're crooks plain and simple.

Could you imagine the reaction if all the parents that have ripped off by these "alternative development paths" compiled a list of each league and team admin that "ignored their contractual obligations" and listed them and their children in every town that has had a league presence or family duped?

The league folded a few teams and forced players out in year one. Hilarious how its fine for them to do that, but a family do the same thing? Comical, sad its true. Completely gutless.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
The league folded a few teams and forced players out in year one. Hilarious how its fine for them to do that, but a family do the same thing? Comical, sad its true. Completely gutless.

Going beyond the folding- I'd say that every single team, admin etc "ignored their contractual obligations" no different than duct cleaning fraud. Parents are sold a bill of goods to try and help their kids live out a fantasy and get nothing to show for it, other than have their kid shipped off a town with less than 2000 people to play on a team that nobody cares about (that would have the shit kicked out of it by the local Midget AAA team or Junior C teams) in a league that is a laughing stock of the hockey community (which permeates into the highschool they attend- the AAA and Junior kids go there and no what the league is).

It's a recipe to do major damage to a kid that doesn't know what they're getting in to and actually believes the recruitment/ sales pitch, and their parents get the prize of paying thousands of dollars for it

OttawaDad

May 15, 2015

The one benefit is that the website itself is fairly poor and embarrassing, if i was running the program, i wouldn't put my name on it, it looks like its from 1995, so I doubt that it gets any traffic, it took me 20 minutes of purposely searching for it.

DiggerD

Nov 21, 2014
Can you imagine being one of those parents? Initially you fell for the “your son will be seen by all sorts of scouts”, “your son will play in a huge showcase”, “we develop kids for advancement in education and hockey”, and “we have checks and balances, to ensure quality hockey and stability” bullshit, so you agree to pay them their $6000-8000 for your kid to play.
Late in the summer, after forking over a few hundred to play in their ‘showcase’/tryout tournaments, your kid signs. The face of the team tells you how they ‘left’ the crappy CPJHL, where questionable people are making decisions, for the much better NCPHL. This league has better players, better intentions, and better opportunities. A month later, before the season starts, the NCPHL folds, and they rejoin that POS league. Now your kid gets a 6 1/2 hour drive for a road game across the province. You see teams amalgamating, others dropping, and witness the ‘checks and balances’. Your 16 year old child, who you are trying to prepare for a future in college hockey, is playing against 20 year-old, 230 lb men, who can barely skate and are only there to wreak havoc. Your team has 9 skaters, or the other team only has nine. The quality of play is worse than the minor hockey the kid played the year prior, so you refuse to play, and try to take him elsewhere.....and they have the nerve to try to blackball them.

Last edited:

Highlaneline

Apr 18, 2017
Can you imagine being one of those parents? Initially you fell for the “your son will be seen by all sorts of scouts”, “your son will play in a huge showcase”, “we develop kids for advancement in education and hockey”, and “we have checks and balances, to ensure quality hockey and stability” bull****, so you agree to pay them their $6000-8000 for your kid to play.
Late in the summer, after forking over a few hundred to play in their ‘showcase’/tryout tournaments, your kid signs. The face of the team tells you how they ‘left’ the crappy CPJHL, where questionable people are making decisions, for the much better NCPHL. This league has better players, better intentions, and better opportunities. A month later, before the season starts, the NCPHL folds, and they rejoin that POS league. Now your kid gets a 6 1/2 hour drive for a road game across the province. You see teams amalgamating, others dropping, and witness the ‘checks and balances’. Your 16 year old child, who you are trying to prepare for a future in college hockey, is playing against 20 year-old, 230 lb men, who can barely skate and are only there to wreak havoc. Your team has 9 skaters, or the other team only has nine. The quality of play is worse than the minor hockey the kid played the year prior, so you refuse to play, and try to take him elsewhere.....and they have the nerve to try to blackball them.

Funny how someone isn't defending any of this or even posting on here eh. Maybe cause that person had been caught lieing again.....

Highlaneline

Apr 18, 2017
Almonte shrapshooters have played there last game in the cpjhl from what I heard. Unknown about EOHA. After what stunt they pulled in playoffs. What a joke

Highlaneline

Apr 18, 2017
The owner of almonte and EOHA thought he could make one team from 2 teams for playoffs because players have quit. So the league cancel the playoff series and let Smithfalls win. Try to give him a chance to win I guess.

OttawaDad

May 15, 2015
The owner of almonte and EOHA thought he could make one team from 2 teams for playoffs because players have quit. So the league cancel the playoff series and let Smithfalls win. Try to give him a chance to win I guess.

isnt that 'checks and balances' angelo?

Colt Fan

Sep 10, 2015
Muskoka, Ontario
Well maybe the owner of EOHA and Almonte didn’t do his due diligence, but how was the Erie team allowed to play three playoff games in Maniwaki, QC. Was that because of ice, travel, etc? Given that this is a young league trying to limp along and create a name for itself. Wouldn’t you afford the same accommodations for EOHA if they were in a bind. These two teams limped into the season and throughout the season they struggled. In hind sight it may have worked better if the joined forces together.

Now the press release from the league indicates also ineligible players played. A situation that should not have occurred. But they gave Smith Falls a hell of a run in the two games before they were eliminated by the league.

The unfortunate part about this league is that you a league owner who owns a team in the league, Essa Stallions. So your either a league owner or a team owner, these two things don’t mix when it comes to the league business operations. If you want to have your hands in the cookie jar on both ends, then there needs to be transparency then. Operations and league decisions center around what’s best for certain individuals and operations. Case in point the social media actions of one coach throughout the season. No other coach in the league used this platform to send sometimes subtle messages about teams and officiating. Until it becomes an even playing field for all owners, then this league will continue to be plagued with problems.

If this league wants to pride itself on being a developmental league for players, then they need to develop a set of standards that everyone must adhere to. Many times when you view the game sheets, you find major fouls/penalties that virtually go unpunished, and hinge on who you are, and where you play. I realize that this is not kept to Hockey Canada standards, but with a set of reasonable standards outlined, then players and teams can identify with them and work within there confines.

If you want to encourage players to look to the league as an option to further there hockey aspirations, hockey standards need to be developed. If I’m a player from Ontario, Western Canada, United States or Europe looking for options and I view the game coverage of games that has happened throughout this season, why would I spend all this money to send my son over to play in this atmosphere. I have the expense for his schooling, lodging, travel, food, spending money, health insurance to the league (Europeans), and there own health insurance for there stay during the season to have my kid be subjected to conditions presently in the league. This is a developmental league, not Friday night fights or Saturday night hack and wack package. Young adolescent players have a strong will to do what they want at times, but with proper standards, this type of hockey can be curbed over time, sitting a player or coach down for his transgressions sends a message not only to the player or coach, but to the team and other teams that this will not be tolerated.

Then the possibly of the league gaining respectability and develop a reputation for developmental and good solid respectful hockey standards. After all, its about the players, not the coaches and owner(s) as they would have you believe.

You have to make this league the next best choice after Hockey Canada programs.

DiggerD

Nov 21, 2014
Plain and simple, the league was started because the owners didn't want to follow HC Regulations, so it is not a shock that they can't follow their own. Their own rule about imports, as per the OP who was 'instrumental' in starting the sham, was 6 per team. Essa has 22 skaters and 3 goalies on their roster (and 2 players who have been removed from it for an unknown reason), 11 are imports. In their last playoff game, both goalies and 5 skaters were imports.

A real league doesn't allow a person to coach two different teams at once. A real league doesn't allow a team owner to own the league. A real league has roster rules such as import limits, maximum cards that can be signed, and a roster cutoff date (Jan. 15th for the PJHL). The CPJHL seems to allow anything, unless it affects the Owner's team. After the first round of the PJHL playoffs (Feb 11), Seaforth was desperate to improve their team before playoffs, so they went to local PJHL teams and offered players spots on the team (no fees and free sticks). They signed 5 new players with less than a month remaining in the season. They won 7 of their next 12 games, which put them in a position where they could get home ice advantage in the one-game first round playoff, if they beat Coldwater in the last regular season game. As an insurance policy, Seaforth went recruiting again, adding 2 players that had just been eliminated from the 2nd round of the PJHL playoffs, and talking a player that they acquired in an earlier trade to play that one game (he had played one game for them, a month earlier, since traded). The two players combined for 5 points (3 goals) and the traded player added a goal and 2 assists, in a shocking 9-6 Seaforth win.
The league was made aware of the new additions, BUT allowed the Coldwater game to count, the league chose to deem the 2 ineligible for the playoffs. Seaforth played host to Grey Highlands in the one-game first round, without the traded player and 2 newest signees. After seeing parts of a few CPJHL games online, I decided to watch this one live. Not worth the $8 it cost me by the way. Six minutes into the game, a Seaforth player ran the Hawks goalie, and received a 5-minute interference penalty. He wasn't removed from the game, and finished the game without further incident. Late in the second period a Hawk player got retribution, running the Seaforth goalie, which started a line brawl. The Hawk player received a similar 5-minute interference penalty as well as a 5-minute fighting penalty, and was ejected. Late in the game, as tempers were starting to settle, a Seaforth player was ejected for a 5-minute elbow to the head.
Seaforth managed to squeak by Grey Highlands, and were to face Essa in a best of 3. The 2 players added before Coldwater were still ineligible, and Seaforth was informed that the only suspended player from the Grey Highlands game, was the player that earned the 5-minute in the first, and finished the game. That player was Seaforth's second leading scorer among defencemen and their leader in PIMs. His suspension was a coincidental 3 games. I guess ownership has its rewards.

OttawaDad

May 15, 2015
Plain and simple, the league was started because the owners didn't want to follow HC Regulations, so it is not a shock that they can't follow their own. Their own rule about imports, as per the OP who was 'instrumental' in starting the sham, was 6 per team. Essa has 22 skaters and 3 goalies on their roster (and 2 players who have been removed from it for an unknown reason), 11 are imports. In their last playoff game, both goalies and 5 skaters were imports.

A real league doesn't allow a person to coach two different teams at once. A real league doesn't allow a team owner to own the league. A real league has roster rules such as import limits, maximum cards that can be signed, and a roster cutoff date (Jan. 15th for the PJHL). The CPJHL seems to allow anything, unless it affects the Owner's team. After the first round of the PJHL playoffs (Feb 11), Seaforth was desperate to improve their team before playoffs, so they went to local PJHL teams and offered players spots on the team (no fees and free sticks). They signed 5 new players with less than a month remaining in the season. They won 7 of their next 12 games, which put them in a position where they could get home ice advantage in the one-game first round playoff, if they beat Coldwater in the last regular season game. As an insurance policy, Seaforth went recruiting again, adding 2 players that had just been eliminated from the 2nd round of the PJHL playoffs, and talking a player that they acquired in an earlier trade to play that one game (he had played one game for them, a month earlier, since traded). The two players combined for 5 points (3 goals) and the traded player added a goal and 2 assists, in a shocking 9-6 Seaforth win.
The league was made aware of the new additions, BUT allowed the Coldwater game to count, the league chose to deem the 2 ineligible for the playoffs. Seaforth played host to Grey Highlands in the one-game first round, without the traded player and 2 newest signees. After seeing parts of a few CPJHL games online, I decided to watch this one live. Not worth the $8 it cost me by the way. Six minutes into the game, a Seaforth player ran the Hawks goalie, and received a 5-minute interference penalty. He wasn't removed from the game, and finished the game without further incident. Late in the second period a Hawk player got retribution, running the Seaforth goalie, which started a line brawl. The Hawk player received a similar 5-minute interference penalty as well as a 5-minute fighting penalty, and was ejected. Late in the game, as tempers were starting to settle, a Seaforth player was ejected for a 5-minute elbow to the head.
Seaforth managed to squeak by Grey Highlands, and were to face Essa in a best of 3. The 2 players added before Coldwater were still ineligible, and Seaforth was informed that the only suspended player from the Grey Highlands game, was the player that earned the 5-minute in the first, and finished the game. That player was Seaforth's second leading scorer among defencemen and their leader in PIMs. His suspension was a coincidental 3 games. I guess ownership has its rewards.

‘Checks and Balances’ everyone

Highlaneline

Apr 18, 2017
How many or did any players in this league advance to CIS, NCAA comments or next level of there career? After all this is a development hockey league is it not? Just wondering cause no posted anything saying so.

DiggerD

Nov 21, 2014
How many or did any players in this league advance to CIS, NCAA comments or next level of there career? After all this is a development hockey league is it not? Just wondering cause no posted anything saying so.

Searching Elite Prospects, no CPJHL player advanced to CIS hockey, none went NCAA Div 1, or Div 3. So the next question is did any advance? There are a few variables for that question. In order to determine advancement, you have to know what level they are starting with. When the CPJHL first started, they touted themselves as ‘tier 2 Jr. A’, but quickly dropped any reference to letters. The OP stated they were close to Junior B level, with former Jr A, Junior AAA, Jr B and Junior C players. Having watched several PJCHL games, and a couple CPJHL games (as well as online ‘hilight packages’), the CPJHL pales in comparison to Junior C.
Considering they have only existed for 2 years, there was a lot of movement out of the CPJHL, but none went to the OHL, WHL, or QMJHL. There was no advancement to NCAA schools, either Division 1 or 3. There were a couple who signed in ACHA Div 2, but there is no scholarships there, so variable 2, how big of an advancement is development? Another played some ACHA Div 3, but that is considered non-varsity, and they are paying large sums to be there, so hardly moving up.
Five left the CPJHL for the CCHL, WSHL, or MJAHL, tier 2 Jr A teams, an improvement if the CPJHL is considered a lower rung option. Seven former CPJHLers went to CCHL2, which could be a slight improvement, unless they came from there originally. Two went to the PJCHL, Junior C, which by their original advertising is a demotion, but from games I saw is MUCH better hockey. The biggest group, 10 players, went to the rival GMHL, another place to pay large amounts for bad hockey, which brings variable 3, how do you classify the other ‘outlaw leagues’? All in all, 200+ kids paid $6000-10000 to play bad hockey, on a promise of advancement....
Variable 4, what is advancement? Has a player been developed or advanced by signing in a ‘better’ league, or do they have to actually stay and perform there? One CPJHL alum played 1 game in the PJCHL, seeing 5-6 shifts, and never returned. Another played 4 games in the CCHL2, a few lasted 10-15 games before leaving there. What was the CPJHL’s true goal for player development? In year one, many teams signed players that were 20 and 21, too old for even consideration in Junior B or the CHL, and already 3 years past high school graduation. Where were they advancing to, the AHL or ECHL? If so, no success there either. In this case, maybe they paid $6000 to be better rec hockey players.
Variable 5, the CPJHL has rather lenient roster rules, and teams have been noted to sign players that have been eliminated from their own (PJCHL) playoffs to bolster the CPJHL team for their playoffs. Not really developing these players, or the kids that have paid to be there all year, and now find themselves sitting out. When these rental players go back to Jr C, or to B, is that advancement from the CPJHL?

Last edited:

DiggerD

Nov 21, 2014
Almonte Jr Sharpshooters Win it all

Just want to congratulate the team on winning the championship.
thank you

Had to comment on this.....7 months AFTER he claimed in another thread that he couldn’t comment on this thread. “And since I cannot answer in the CPJHL thread I wanted everyone to understand that some people are getting away with what they are saying because I cannot answer on the thread.” Bullshit, the truth is he was called in his stories, and couldn’t face the heat.

CURIOUS1

Mar 15, 2018
After having a son in the CPJHL for the past 2 seasons, and then watching Jr.B games there is simply no comparison...CPJHL is a garbage league...just garbage. The corruption starts at the top and simply runs down.

If you have a kid playing in this league, or you are thinking of playing in this league...just leave, don't join up...stay in HC...stay away.

You have read 12 pages of how this league is crap, and the odd person trying to defend it. There is no way to defend it...just stay away.

Last edited:

DiggerD

Nov 21, 2014
Thank you.
My son was 'recruited' in year 1, after he was seen skating for another team, and asked to tryout. After a lengthy discussion with him, where I informed him that their promises were bullshit and it was just another outlaw league, he decided to stay with the team he was trying out for. This year, after his team was eliminated, he was asked to sign on with a CPJHL team for their playoffs. I talked with him again, and agreed to go watch a couple games with him. He decided that playing there was a dumb idea. We chatted with a father of a player that did sign on for the playoff run, and he stated it was the worst hockey his kid had played in, that it couldn't compare to Junior C let alone B.

DiggerD

Nov 21, 2014
The Death Pool – Special Report – GMHL Adds CPJHL Reject In Ottawa

Had to add this, since the OP was so honest and polite with everyone here...... Can you smell a rip off artist? His CPJHL team booted in year one, his NCPHL league folded after a partial year, his CPJHL TEAMS booted after his second attempt, his AAA team couldnt ice enough AAA talent.......so he is starting a GMHL team, the league he couldnt wait to trash.
The add even attempts to use the Sens and 67’s as a way for his future stars to get exposure. Guess he has to try anything since his organizational record is shit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad