Confirmed with Link: Coyotes Sign Jack McBain, 2 years ($1.6M AAV)

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
I'm slightly younger (I think) than many people here (I'm 37), and started with AOL chat rooms with a 14.4k modem. Got into IRC, forums, Facebook (back when it was for university students only, I hardly log in anymore), and was an early adopter of Discord back in 2015. I never really understood Twitter or Reddit, but I read content on them semi-regularly. I get my daily hockey content almost exclusively here, but for live chatting during games I've largely migrated to Discord.

Also been a strange road for me.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
BBS's (San Diego was the Mecca of BBS... there were literally dozens.)
AOL (from chatroom noob > chatroom host > Apple II forum consultant > board builder/manager for International Channel)

Reactions: Summer Rose

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I remember when I switched my BBS over to a USR 2400bps modem, I was the most popular sysop in town for about a week.

AOL on a 2400 was...... fun. Even with the text based interface they stuck the Apple IIgs with. Was jealous of the techie guys who boasted about their T1 connections. One of them posted a 10Mb graphics file in a forum library that would have took me over 24 hours to download in those days. And with paying connection rates by the hour..... woof.

When I did switch to a Powerbook (and a PC later) and had 56K under the hood it was finally usable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad