Confirmed with Link: Coyotes sign G Anson Thornton to 3yr. ELC

Mar 12, 2009
I came here because I was wondering who the hell this kid is , who I thought was Ben Gaudreau until seeing his name plate. Sarnia seems to have somehow found a gem in the OHL's U18 draft.

He's stopped 14/15, his teams been hemmed in and down a man a lot of the period. Made several acrobatic saves. Only one that got by him was a rebound after a good save that a D man should have been in postion to clear.

Mar 12, 2009
ended up getting lit up a bit, but Sarnia was pretty terrible the whole game and at least 4 of the goals he had no real chance on. Only thing I saw that stuck out as maybe needing work (albeit it's 1 game) is rebound control; just in controlling where he directs the puck. Big kid, very athletic and seems to read plays pretty well. I can see why he was signed despite so little playing to go off of the last couple years.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
ended up getting lit up a bit, but Sarnia was pretty terrible the whole game and at least 4 of the goals he had no real chance on. Only thing I saw that stuck out as maybe needing work (albeit it's 1 game) is rebound control; just in controlling where he directs the puck. Big kid, very athletic and seems to read plays pretty well. I can see why he was signed despite so little playing to go off of the last couple years.

He was chosen as 3rd star of the game, so my guess is that he overperformed by only giving up the 5 goals

Mar 12, 2009
He was chosen as 3rd star of the game, so my guess is that he overperformed by only giving up the 5 goals
Correct. Sarnia had nothing going, were hemmed in most of the game and giving up a lot of shots in high percentage scoring areas. Most of the goals came off of rebounds where he made a really good save, but there were no D in the proper areas to clear the puck or otherwise take away and rebound shot. Could have easily been 4-0 after just the first, and I could see that game getting to 9-10 goals for the Rangers with a lesser tender.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I concur. This is what i saw in the 10 minutes i watched. Highlight reel saves but he was getting shelled.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Sarnia fan here. I was at the game last night. If it wasn’t for Thornton then Sarnia could have lost by 8+ goals. The team in front of him were god awful. This ain’t on Thornton at all. He made a handful of absolute MASSIVE saves. He gave his team a chance up until the mid way point of the third period. I feel bad for him. He definitely deserved a better outcome. His teammates let him down huge. Didn’t matter who would have been in net last night.

One thing we talked about on the Sarnia board is the fact that the Sting have two starters in Gaudreau and Thornton. I assume the Yotes brass wouldn’t want Thornton being a back up after signing a contract. I just don’t see a scenario where Thornton gets more than 30-40% of the starts with Gaudreau there. Gaudreau is Sarnia’s golden child. Could see Thornton being traded to a team looking for a starter. There’s a few teams that are looking. In the mean time, what a treat it is to watch both Thornton and Gaudreau put on a clinic each time they are playing.

Pretty impressive story Thornton has turned out to be this far!

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Sarnia fan here. I was at the game last night. If it wasn’t for Thornton then Sarnia could have lost by 8+ goals. The team in front of him were god awful. This ain’t on Thornton at all. He made a handful of absolute MASSIVE saves. He gave his team a chance up until the mid way point of the third period. I feel bad for him. He definitely deserved a better outcome. His teammates let him down huge. Didn’t matter who would have been in net last night.

One thing we talked about on the Sarnia board is the fact that the Sting have two starters in Gaudreau and Thornton. I assume the Yotes brass wouldn’t want Thornton being a back up after signing a contract. I just don’t see a scenario where Thornton gets more than 30-40% of the starts with Gaudreau there. Gaudreau is Sarnia’s golden child. Could see Thornton being traded to a team looking for a starter. There’s a few teams that are looking. In the mean time, what a treat it is to watch both Thornton and Gaudreau put on a clinic each time they are playing.

Pretty impressive story Thornton has turned out to be this far!
Come back. Make yourself at home. Have a sandwich. Seriously you are welcome anytime. Loved this post.

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016
Figured I’d pop back in to give y’all a little update. Today our #1 took a knee to the head and had to leave the game. Sting decided to dress their 3rd string goalie during the first intermission and put him in even though Thornton was already dressed as back up. Our 3rd string let in two quick shorthanded goals (one was called back for offside) and then Sarnia pulled him and put Thornton in. Super weird and made no sense why Thornton didn’t go in from the get go.

anyway, Thornton comes in at a 2-2 game and absolutely shuts the door. Stopped all 27 shots he faced with a couple massive game savers. Completely lights out. This was against the top team in the league, the London Knights. Super impressive. It appears Thornton will be taking over the #1 job for a bit. Gaudreau apparently received a concussion so the crease is Thorntons for the time being. Excited to see what he can do as a #1

Dead Coyote

Oct 10, 2017
Figured I’d pop back in to give y’all a little update. Today our #1 took a knee to the head and had to leave the game. Sting decided to dress their 3rd string goalie during the first intermission and put him in even though Thornton was already dressed as back up. Our 3rd string let in two quick shorthanded goals (one was called back for offside) and then Sarnia pulled him and put Thornton in. Super weird and made no sense why Thornton didn’t go in from the get go.

anyway, Thornton comes in at a 2-2 game and absolutely shuts the door. Stopped all 27 shots he faced with a couple massive game savers. Completely lights out. This was against the top team in the league, the London Knights. Super impressive. It appears Thornton will be taking over the #1 job for a bit. Gaudreau apparently received a concussion so the crease is Thorntons for the time being. Excited to see what he can do as a #1

It was also the teddy bear toss!

Thornton played very well, and even as a Knights fan I was impressed with him. Sarnia already had solid goaltending, but Thornton has been great and I'm very much looking forward to seeing him play more...as long as he doesn't play lights out versus the Knights, at least :rolleyes:

He's overall very good, no glaring weaknesses.

Reactions: Ferda11

Ferda11

Feb 16, 2016

Update - Thornton didn’t originally relieve Gaudreau because he had a migraine. That’s why our 3rd string went in before being pulled for Thornton. So Thornton stood on his head while having a migraine…what a stud!

Hogan20

Leader of the JJ Moser Fan Club
May 1, 2016
Maine
Only .883 sv% on the season, but getting better. Last 5 games .923 and his first shutout.

I don't think Sarnia is strong this year. Barely hanging onto a playoff spot, 2 points ahead of Kitchner and Erie who are tied for the last playoff spot.

Reactions: MIGs Dog

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I don't think Sarnia is strong this year. Barely hanging onto a playoff spot, 2 points ahead of Kitchner and Erie who are tied for the last playoff spot.
Sarnia is awful. Standing on your head for the goalies meant only allowing 4 or 5 goals in a game.

Reactions: MIGs Dog

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
how is he doing/developing?
Not many posters on this forum have actually watched him and probably none of us are qualified at evaluating goalies. With that being said, his save percentage was 88.3% which is not good. Especially bad for a player with an NHL contract.
Maybe he'll turn it around now that he has some actual experience under his belt.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Not many posters on this forum have actually watched him and probably none of us are qualified at evaluating goalies. With that being said, his save percentage was 88.3% which is not good. Especially bad for a player with an NHL contract.
Maybe he'll turn it around now that he has some actual experience under his belt.
Traded to Barrie and appears to be their starter. Thornton struggled at getting consistent playing time so this bodes well for figuring out what we have.

Reactions: Mosby

TheLegend

Hardly Deactivated
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Thornton was assigned to Tucson this week but that’s more likely due to their camp beginning soon and the dearth of goalies available.

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
how is he doing/developing?
Never watched him personally but have a buddy with the sting that said he had a really rough year, stole a couple games but after that the team lost faith in him. Made it clear for them that Benny was there guy going forward, also Thornton brought in a decent return, so they hopefully try making a run at it this year or next.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad