Confirmed with Link: Coyotes sign Anthony Duclair to 1-year deal $1.2M (Official)

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
1.2 mil is the word

Seems like a lot to me...his qualifying offer was way lower and he didn't even have AHL level last season. He just let it slide. I don't quite get it if that's true. If he doesn't find some motivation rather quickly, he'll have a pretty decent salary for an AHL player. Just for one year but still. Don't think it's necessary to pay him that much.

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
Seems like a lot to me...his qualifying offer was way lower and he didn't even have AHL level last season. He just let it slide. I don't quite get it if that's true. If he doesn't find some motivation rather quickly, he'll have a pretty decent salary for an AHL player. Just for one year but still. Don't think it's necessary to pay him that much.

Agreed.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

His qualifying offer was a formality, the bare minimum - both sides knew it was simply for the Coyotes to retain his rights.

1.2 mil is fine for a guy who had the year Duclair had before last year. We need the cap hit, anyway. And I guarantee you that Duclair would have left for Europe before signing anything any lower than that.

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
His qualifying offer was a formality, the bare minimum - both sides knew it was simply for the Coyotes to retain his rights.

1.2 mil is fine for a guy who had the year Duclair had before last year. We need the cap hit, anyway. And I guarantee you that Duclair would have left for Europe before signing anything any lower than that.

I get the Cap issues, but not the undeserved salary. If he wanted to go pout in Europe, I say "bye".

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

No way he would have left for Europe. He would get about a third of it in Europe...at that point at best. Why would he play in Europe for less? Plus, that would have pretty much ended his NHL career. Coyotes apparently tried to sell him pretty hard but nobody was willing to take a chance. He even had his issues 15/16 when playing mostly with Hanzal and Domi who covered for him. It was a decent season but he also had a ridiculously high shooting percentage. Alarmbells should have been ringing in his head after that season. Instead, he became lazy and was basically just floating around last season. That does not go down well with NHL GM's...I can tell you that. Especially since his AHL number support the impression everybody had after his lackluster NHL performances last season. He still got yet another chance but wasn't any better than before.

Had he gone to Europe, he would have had a very hard time trying to rebound from that...

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
No way he would have left for Europe. He would get about a third of it in Europe...at that point at best. Why would he play in Europe for less? Plus, that would have pretty much ended his NHL career. Coyotes apparently tried to sell him pretty hard but nobody was willing to take a chance. He even had his issues 15/16 when playing mostly with Hanzal and Domi who covered for him. It was a decent season but he also had a ridiculously high shooting percentage. Alarmbells should have been ringing in his head after that season. Instead, he became lazy and was basically just floating around last season. That does not go down well with NHL GM's...I can tell you that. Especially since his AHL number support the impression everybody had after his lackluster NHL performances last season. He still got yet another chance but wasn't any better than before.

Had he gone to Europe, he would have had a very hard time trying to rebound from that...
He was misused last season and while minutes were only down slightly (14:22 to 13:18), his shot total dropped from 1164 to 771 and shooting percentage from 19.0 to 6.6. Dropping a 1st line player to the 4th line (which happened all to often) will do that.

His speed and ability to finish perfectly compliment to Tocchet's style.

Last edited:

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
Glad they were able to reach a deal and it is reasonable for both sides. Now Duclair you need to have a great season and earn a pay raise.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
He was misused last season and while minutes were only down slightly (14:22 to 13:18), his shot total dropped from 1164 to 771 and shooting percentage from 19.0 to 6.6. Dropping a 1st line player to the 4th line (which happened all to often) will do that.

Blame Tippett for everything you want but not for this. He gave Duclair every chance to succeed. Duclair got demoted/scratched because of his own poor performances. He even got a second chance despite playing poorly for Tucson.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I'm a fan. I'm not a cap space fantasy player. The market determines value and its petty to complain that a player isn't worth his salary.

Complaints about performance, TOI and line usage seem far more fair to me than complaining that Duclair is overpaid.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

1.2 is absolutley cheap enough.

I agree, but I don't think Duclair would have left for Europe. A one year deal is good for both sides. I thought almost everything went wrong for him last year but most was by his own doing. He stopped giving that second and third effort you need to get yourself out of the slump he was in. I think he will get 40+ pts. this year.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

He wasn't misused last year. When things started to snowball he lost all his confidence and never gave that second and third effort. Blame the player for his play, not the coach. He didn't do any better in the AHL, so he better have a good year or his NHL career will be in jeopardy, even at his age.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Frankly speaking......

I don't give a rat's butt how he was used last year. It's how he is utilized and responds this upcoming season that matters.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Frankly speaking......

I don't give a rat's butt how he was used last year. It's how he is utilized and responds this upcoming season that matters.

His play will dictate how he will be utilized. It's 100% up to Duclair.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Anybody who says $1.2m is too high doesn't have the strongest grasp on player value and salary in the NHL...

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
His play will dictate how he will be utilized. It's 100% up to Duclair.

Really??????

giphy.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad