News Article: Coyotes getting kicked out of Glendale in 2022

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
As I understand it, the big sticking point is that if you have the Coyotes at the arena, you can't plan out/book the arena until the schedule comes out for the next season. So if a nationwide concert tour starts in March looking to come through AZ in November, GRA doesn't know when it will be available until after the next season schedule comes out in June (or whenever). Not sure why they can't book the arena and send that info to the NHL.

It was also brought up that a Coyote game produces half the revenue of what a concert or other event brings in (hence, only needing to book 20 events to replace the games). On a weeknight, the fight through traffic means fans only have enough time to get across town and head right in to the arena and not spend money in Westgate prior.
I think the key is no Coyotes is only better than Coyotes with one foot out the door. Coyotes on say a 10 year lease is a completely different package. I'm sure the 15 + years of uncertainty has cost the whole area from corporate and private business not to mention how many fans that would buy tickets if they weren't turned off by the continual mess. Throw in a garbage team for most of it's tenure in Glendale and they've done about everything you can possibly do to kill attendance, investment and overall interest.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
No luxury boxes, but AVMC seats close to 14k for hockey.

Not according to that picture, at least a third of the seats would be unavailable if upgrades such as those intended for the WNBA would be installed and seats with obstructed view not sold.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
So true. It would be impossible for anyone to do a worse job than the Coyotes have done over the last quarter of a century.

It certainly would be nice that at some point in their trashing of the west side, our new owner would acknowledge that. Throw those of us westsiders a bone that spent money to see a substandard product on top of our increased taxes.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

Knights2017

Jan 13, 2021
Gilbert, AZ
It certainly would be nice that at some point in their trashing of the west side, our new owner would acknowledge that. Throw those of us westsiders a bone that spent money to see a substandard product on top of our increased taxes.

They spent to the Cap when coming in the door and are adjusting to the realities while fixing all of the previous regime's problems for long term success while pursuing a location that will work for 80% of it's paying customers

Zero reason Meruello would or should throw a bone or apologize for a previous regime's mistakes

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I think the key is no Coyotes is only better than Coyotes with one foot out the door. Coyotes on say a 10 year lease is a completely different package. I'm sure the 15 + years of uncertainty has cost the whole area from corporate and private business not to mention how many fans that would buy tickets if they weren't turned off by the continual mess. Throw in a garbage team for most of it's tenure in Glendale and they've done about everything you can possibly do to kill attendance, investment and overall interest.

I should also stress in the strongest possible terms that the Coyotes as a franchise have spent their whole tenure trying to avoid calling Glendale their "home" and acted like they were renting an AirBnB instead of engaging with the locality where they actually play. That attitude has prejudiced every relationship they ever had on the West Side.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I should also stress in the strongest possible terms that the Coyotes as a franchise have spent their whole tenure trying to avoid calling Glendale their "home" and acted like they were renting an AirBnB instead of engaging with the locality where they actually play. That attitude has prejudiced every relationship they ever had on the West Side.
Yep. That's why I'm always saying they keep shitting on us. Every owner and the NHL have done the same thing. I get they've just continually sucked at their jobs, keeping us from having a decent team to watch. However, the disrespect of the fans that are paying for your building and have paid probably close to 100 mil in subsidies to keep you here, is a choice they continue to make.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
At least starting with the recession, that's true.

Reactions: SniperHF

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
The furthest West I've lived was around 32nd st, the further East I've ever lived is the 101. I. However I'm now seriously contemplating a move to Peoria so I think it's safe to say the Tempe relocation is a virtual lock!

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
From Google:

Arizona Veterans Memorial Coliseum is a 14,870-seat multi-purpose indoor arena in Phoenix, Arizona, located at the Arizona State Fairgrounds. It hosted the Phoenix Suns of the National Basketball Association from 1968 to 1992, as well as indoor soccer, roller derby and major and minor league ice hockey teams. Wikipedia
Address: 1826 W McDowell Rd, Phoenix, AZ 85007
Phone: (602) 252-6771
Description

Opened: November 3, 1965
Architecture firm: Lescher & Mahoney
Function: Arena
Capacity: Basketball: 14,870; Ice hockey: 13,730
Construction cost: 7 million USD
Owner: Arizona Exposition and State Fair Board
Broke ground: August 11, 1964

GhostofTommyBolin

Aug 18, 2016
Chandler, AZ
The City of Tempe held an event at Sun Devil Stadium yesterday. A long-time friend of mine runs a couple different operations at ASU, so he was at the event and said Shane Doan was there. He wasn't a guest speaker, but he was networking on behalf of the Coyotes.

So at least that's...something, right? At the very least it illustrates their desire to move into the previously-mentioned site in Tempe. (Only a scant 16 minutes from where I'm moving to in Chandler. Woot!)

Knights2017

Jan 13, 2021
Gilbert, AZ
The City of Tempe held an event at Sun Devil Stadium yesterday. A long-time friend of mine runs a couple different operations at ASU, so he was at the event and said Shane Doan was there. He wasn't a guest speaker, but he was networking on behalf of the Coyotes.

So at least that's...something, right? At the very least it illustrates their desire to move into the previously-mentioned site in Tempe. (Only a scant 16 minutes from where I'm moving to in Chandler. Woot!)
His Son literally plays for ASU Hockey this season

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
From Google:

Arizona Veterans Memorial Coliseum is a 14,870-seat multi-purpose indoor arena in Phoenix, Arizona, located at the Arizona State Fairgrounds. It hosted the Phoenix Suns of the National Basketball Association from 1968 to 1992, as well as indoor soccer, roller derby and major and minor league ice hockey teams. Wikipedia
Address: 1826 W McDowell Rd, Phoenix, AZ 85007
Phone: (602) 252-6771
Description

Opened: November 3, 1965
Architecture firm: Lescher & Mahoney
Function: Arena
Capacity: Basketball: 14,870; Ice hockey: 13,730
Construction cost: 7 million USD
Owner: Arizona Exposition and State Fair Board
Broke ground: August 11, 1964
I’m sold.

Ad