Speculation: Coyotes 2021 Offseason Roster Discussion Thread #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
You know what?

Steering us in a new direction I wouldn't mind if we signed Karl Alzner for the league minimum for a year or two. He's 32 (about the same age as Ness who is 31) and has quite a bit to prove. And I have a lot more faith in him than Aaron Ness as our third pair LD.

Then you have:

OEL -- ?? (maybe Demers)
Chychrun -- ?? (hopefully Hakanpaa!!!!)
Alzner / Capo -- Bush / Soderstrom

You've saved just over 10m in cap space because Goose and Hammer are gone, bump that up to ~$15m if we let Raanta walk (don't necessarily think that's a good idea, Adin Hill has consistently failed my eye test but I definitely am in the minority here). Cap space is good and you can maybe use that for more draft picks depending on the team's performance. And you don't have to rush the young guys.

Regardless, Army's first real chance to put an impact on this team is in how he addresses our UFA defensemen. Let's see how he does good luck BA!
Alzner would be an interesting acquisition. Brings a vet presence with significant playoff experience.

With 15 UFA/RFA’s and $30m in cap space BA has a chance to really put his stamp on next years roster.

Reactions: Surfshop

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
I’d give Gabriel what we paid Brassard last year no doubt. Dude has heart, chip on his shoulder and could easily be a fan favorite by the end of preseason.

I remember rooting hard for Ryan White and loved him as a Coyote. I think we’d feel the same about Gabriel

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
With 15 UFA/RFA’s and $30m in cap space BA has a chance to really put his stamp on next years roster.

Cap space is largely irrelevant as the Coyotes are a cash budget team. One that added $15m in upward adjustments to existing contracts without making a single trade or signing. Garland is due around 5, at least. So that's $20m more for the same team.

Keller +1.5
Schmaltz +3
Dvorak +1.625
Pitlick + 0.9
Crouse +0.9
Larsson +0.8

OEL + 2.5
Chychrun +2
Kuemper +2

If Craig's budget number is accurate, and Garland gets around $5m, that would leave ~9m to sign 4D.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Alzner would be an interesting acquisition. Brings a vet presence with significant playoff experience.

Alzner can't skate. Is he even playing hockey?

Sm00chy

Sep 29, 2017
I don't think anyone is overpaying for anything. Its got to be as simple as:

Kirk has contract offers from European leagues, likely the Liiga, Maybe the NLA.
Kirk wants to play in North America. He does not have the history or clout to get a North American out-clause in contract negotiations with European leagues.
GMBA is not willing to give him a contract at this point - probably never paid any attention to him outside the World Championships. Nobody in this organization has any history with Kirk. The whole staff has turned over in the last year and a half.
Kirk needs to commit to European offer before time Coyotes Vet camp starts - no chance to earn a North American contract before Liiga starts.
Coyotes doing Kirk a solid by allowing him to see if any other teams will sign him to a contract now.

We won't be getting much more than another unsigned draft pick in a Kirk trade.
I don’t necessarily think someone will… but the hope remains that there is a GM out there that may be willing.

Zero harm in trying if you have no intention of signing him

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Yea not worried.

Would I like to see what he can do in the AHL? Sure...but I wont lose any sleep if he is moved.
I suspect this is a message to Kirk to go and see what offers you can get. It is a way to gauge value on a contract. Coyotes offered X, Kirk feels he is worth Y. Go ahead and see what other teams offer and come back to us.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Go on. Heard he had a good season.
He can play. I noticed right away in the Regina bubble. Kid will make nhl likely in bottom 6 any situation capacity. I haven’t been this excited about a late round pick since Winnik.

Reactions: RemoAZ

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
He can play. I noticed right away in the Regina bubble. Kid will make nhl likely in bottom 6 any situation capacity. I haven’t been this excited about a late round pick since Winnik.
Loved Winnik. Would have liked to see him sign a long term contract but he didn't seem to want to do that anywhere.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I like Kirk and I’d sign him but I understand the thinking. He was good but not great in Peterborough. He needs to play in a serious league next and stop f***ing around in England. The top Finnish league is an option so that’s a good start.

Reactions: Hi De Hi

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
OMG that is so not true. I recently semi-abused save states (saved before every fight) and re-beat most of Mike Tyson's punch out on my Wii U, everyone except for the last boss Mr. Dream who was Mike Tyson's replacement after the licensing agreement ran out. Seems like there's a split second lag so I'm not going to spend the time to beat Mr. Dream the same way I somehow beat Tyson as a kid.

But, I did beat Super Mario 3 on this Wii U with the same way of using save states (never beat the game as a kid) so maybe it's a reflex thing instead of lag. Although I will still blame the half second lag I read about on reddit (which actually think may be accurate but who actually knows).

But yeah, Glass Joe? Come on. Use a better example. Maybe Soda Popinski, or even the 2nd version of Piston Honda. Actually Soda Popinski's probably a good example, I had a ton of trouble with Soda Popinski this time but never had any trouble as a kid.

But Glass Joe? Come on @Sinurgy. If that's true you need to get better at old *ss NES games ;)
I think you've misunderstood the analogy, it's quite on point in my opinion. As for gaming I think my mastery of the Soulsbourne series alone gives me plenty of git gud cred! ;)

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
I suspect this is a message to Kirk to go and see what offers you can get. It is a way to gauge value on a contract. Coyotes offered X, Kirk feels he is worth Y. Go ahead and see what other teams offer and come back to us.

I dont think they are even offering anything. Kirk would take anything to get a chance, he is not holding out. There's just a lot working against him. Top European teams have said they wont offer an import slot to a British player no matter how good he is despite his WC showing. Because they're afraid of being mocked for doing so. British players are looked down upon as second class players. Mark Bell is more worried about looking silly than taking a risk.

It's not personal, I think Armstrong is pretty conservative when it comes to orthodox hockey traits and Kirk is as unorthodox as they come. He's also one of the most improved prospects in the past 2 years. But the Coyotes aren't too bothered about ignoring marginal talent - Hoefenmayer, Busby, Nussbaumer are other recent examples, so it's not personal to Kirk. I worry that Daryin may also be ignored.

When they like a guy, they'll move heaven and earth to help them progress - see Crotty the Boston Uni kid who ticks all the right boxes. Cam Dineen with his hockey bloodlines is another.

Reactions: Art.Vandelay
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad