Covid-19

Status
Not open for further replies.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Pritzker and Lightfoot have shown a level of confidence and sincerity with all of their decisions that's made me feel very steady and secure. Even if i don't like their decision-making, i've never not felt that they're doing these things for what they perceive to be in the best interests of Illinois residents.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Clearly not an expert in virology or infectious-disease but one thing i've been wondering a lot the last week or so is how exactly there's going to be a "2nd wave". I mean, even with social distancing, hasn't the virus circulated through the country enough at this point to where you're either going to get it or not? Especially after the summer months where everyone is around everyone. How is there supposed to be an entire 2nd round of mass-infections that would be so drastic to cause the country/world to lock down again?

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Clearly not an expert in virology or infectious-disease but one thing i've been wondering a lot the last week or so is how exactly there's going to be a "2nd wave". I mean, even with social distancing, hasn't the virus circulated through the country enough at this point to where you're either going to get it or not? Especially after the summer months where everyone is around everyone. How is there supposed to be an entire 2nd round of mass-infections that would be so drastic to cause the country/world to lock down again?

It can't really be a 2nd wave if we never got out of the first wave. The reality of the situation is, a very small percentage of the country has had this, even by the most generous antibody testing... You're talking 5-10% of the total population.... At most. There are still hundreds of millions of people to infect.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Seems in Illinois Covid doesn't apply to rioters, looters or protesters. Just the rest of us.
A lot of protesters have worn masks.

And the ones that don't, you'd probably get along with. Bond over your hatred of face coverings and complain about how much of an inconvenience this virus is.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008

And the ones that don't, you'd probably get along with. Bond over your hatred of face coverings and complain about how much of an inconvenience this virus is.

And you can commiserate over the increase in cases when we know it kills very, very few people. And we pretty much know which those people are.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
And you can commiserate over the increase in cases when we know it kills very, very few people. And we pretty much know which those people are.
Yeah, I'll feel bad that an individual dies from a nasty virus that basically suffocates them to death. Must mean I'm a weak softy for feeling empathy.

And well over a hundred thousand Americans isn't 'very, very few people'.

Crow

May 19, 2014

Those types of masks don’t really help you avoid catching the virus when social distancing guidances are ignored. Cotton isn’t going to filter out a tiny virus even if the masks were fitted to the face. They aren’t so the air and virus flows through around them. You need specialized filter media. I won’t be surprised at all to see increased spikes in areas where protesting, rioting and looting were noted. They are great for hiding your face while looting though.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Those types of masks don’t really help you avoid catching the virus when social distancing guidances are ignored. Cotton isn’t going to filter out a tiny virus. You need specialized filter media. I won’t be surprised at all to see increased spikes in areas where protesting, rioting and looting were noted. They are great for hiding your face while looting though.
I'm sure there'll be some sort of an increase. Maybe the masks aren't 100%. It's not like everyone has an ability to get N95 masks.

But at least most of those individuals protesting, at least in the Chicagoland area, tried to take some level of precaution. It's not like some individuals in the world, and on this forum, who don't feel like even making that attempt.

Crow

May 19, 2014
I'm sure there'll be some sort of an increase. Maybe the masks aren't 100%. It's not like everyone has an ability to get N95 masks.

But at least most of those individuals protesting, at least in the Chicagoland area, tried to take some level of precaution. It's not like some individuals in the world, and on this forum, who don't feel like even making that attempt.
I agree that they might help some. Specifically if you are contagious, I think the virus is likely to not spread as far from you if you sneezed, coughed or breathed while wearing a face covering. I suspect due to my background and the information I’ve absorbed that it probably helps mostly with those sneezing and coughing the most.

Oddly I didn’t follow the whole uproar very much. I can’t remember what I was busy doing, but I wasn’t even reading the news at all and I’ve long abandoned social media due to the quality of information. My friends told me about it mostly, that looters were close by my house and such. Then I started to pay some attention.

What little I did see included a lot of people protesting shoulder to shoulder in crowds which is sad on so many levels. Maybe still needed in spite of the pandemic. Many people still aren’t getting the message. And some are taking things too far IMO to the point where they actually are more racist, but maybe that’s just part of a well needed process of change.

By that last comment I am trying to express that singling out minorities in too proactive a way might backfire among underprivileged whites and others causing more resentment.

Last edited:

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Yeah, I'll feel bad that an individual dies from a nasty virus that basically suffocates them to death. Must mean I'm a weak softy for feeling empathy.

And well over a hundred thousand Americans isn't 'very, very few people'.

You can empathize all you like, it's just a bit odd that this virus is what got you all emotional. Yes, 100,000 dead in US is statistically small. Nearly 3,00,000 die every year but most are not a cause celeb.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
You can empathize all you like, it's just a bit odd that this virus is what got you all emotional. Yes, 100,000 dead in US is statistically small. Nearly 3,00,000 die every year but most are not a cause celeb.
What else kills 118,000 people in 3 1/2 months? I think only the big stuff like heart disease and cancer are up there. And that's only if you lump the umpteen cancer types together as one.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
What else kills 118,000 people in 3 1/2 months? I think only the big stuff like heart disease and cancer are up there. And that's only if you lump the umpteen cancer types together as one.

You answered your own question but I'll add that those deaths occur every year.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
You answered your own question but I'll add that those deaths occur every year.

In the last week, COVID passed World War I for total American deaths. We have a ways to go to catch World War 2 or the Civil War. And of course the Spanish Flu pandemic had hundreds of thousands of deaths. But what else in this country has had so many deaths in so short a period of time? This has become an historically grim event in United States history.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I think Heart Disease does. But...1 in 4 deaths in the US are related to Heart Disease.
Yeah, I just looked it up.
Cancer and HD are still ahead by lots, but Covid, statistically, will end up being #3 in 2020.
If current numbers continue, covid will kill roughly 300k by the end of the year, and that's if it doesn't get bad in the fall. Hopefully if anyone gets sick this fall with a respiratory illness, there's enough testing that they can find out if it's covid, the flu or a cold.

Last edited:

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Yeah, I just looked it up.
Cancer and HD are still ahead by lots, but Covid, statistically, will end up being #3 in 2020.
If current numbers continue, covid will kill roughly 300k by the end of the year, and that's if it doesn't get bad in the fall. Hopefully if anyone gets sick this fall with a respiratory illness, there's enough testing that they can find out if it's covid, the flu or a cold.

These hospitals are receiving money for Covid patients so I'm not buying the numbers. If you had severe coronary disease and then caught the flu which put you over the top, the cause of death would have not been the flu, although it may have been a contributing factor to the heart attack. Now it's more likely it's Covid.

Unique Coronavirus Strain Found in Chicago: Northwestern Study
I was reading another article that the prominent strain of Covid in Chicago is directly from Wuhan while the NY strain seems to be a mutation and much more contagious.. It's kind of crazy it has already adapted a couple of times already.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
These hospitals are receiving money for Covid patients so I'm not buying the numbers. If you had severe coronary disease and then caught the flu which put you over the top, the cause of death would have not been the flu, although it may have been a contributing factor to the heart attack. Now it's more likely it's Covid.

Unique Coronavirus Strain Found in Chicago: Northwestern Study
I was reading another article that the prominent strain of Covid in Chicago is directly from Wuhan while the NY strain seems to be a mutation and much more contagious.. It's kind of crazy it has already adapted a couple of times already.

The bolded is conspiracy theory nonsense.

Reactions: Sarava

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
What is the bolted supposed to mean exactly? I hadn’t heard whatever he’s trying to imply and am not 100% what he even is trying to imply.
its something that fox news was rallying behind when the numbers started to increase. that deaths of people who were already "going to die" that had corona virus shouldnt count. even tho that is how every disease is counted. hell they compare it to the flu but thats how influenza deaths are counted as well. they also were saying hospitals were fudging covid deaths to increase money being given to them from the government (dont know how this works).

Frequently Asked Questions about Estimated Flu Burden | CDC

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
so 100,000 dead is statistically small in what case? you didnt mention a time frame or the fact the WHOLE COUNTRY WAS LOCKED IN THEIR HOUSES and it still did those numbers. Its a huge deal. dont think about democrat or republican and take a look around. its a huge deal.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014

You’re so disingenuous, it’s farcical. Since people die all the time I suppose we shouldn’t care about the four people in Benghazi. Or 9/11 (we currently suffer two 9/11’s a week worth of deaths from the virus). Or Iraq/Afghanistan. Or drunk driving. Or anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad