News Article: COVID 19 POSITIVITY THREAD: Useful links, hopeful news etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Qualifier: there is lots yet to be proven and I am not counting my chickens. That being said the announcement was very welcome news.

First off from a world view anything we can achieve that can slow the spread and drop the death rates is obviously something that is critical.

Secondly, for the economy and from a mental health perspective anything we can achieve with a vaccine (and hopefully treatment) that allows people to not be paralyzed by fear to gather again is a game changer.

I expect this to be a long tough winter but as we head into the spring.......summer......then back into next fall I think many elements of our life will feel better and hopefully people will be, and will feel more safe to gather.

I know some people are scared of vaccines but I am not in that camp.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
More positive news today.

U.S. allows emergency use of Eli Lilly's Covid antibody therapy

Interesting this is targeted at the higher risk individuals and can be used to treat mild-to-moderate Covid-19 in adults and pediatric patients over the age of 12, the FDA said. This is helping reduce the need for hospitalization and emergency room visits with patients at high risk of the disease. The Company also has plans to pursue a similar authorization in late November for its two-antibody cocktail, which is described as having helped reduce the viral levels even more than the approved single-antibody treatment.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Finally a little good news regarding this shity virus. Just tell me where to go to get this vaccine and i'm there.

I hope you realize it will likely be at least the middle of next year before you get a chance unless you’re in the medical field or high risk group. It’s going to take time just to get nurses and doctors vaccinated. The positive thing is Pfizer is heading the distribution themselves and not the government.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I hope you realize it will likely be at least the middle of next year before you get a chance unless you’re in the medical field or high risk group. It’s going to take time just to get nurses and doctors vaccinated. The positive thing is Pfizer is heading the distribution themselves and not the government.
Absolutely i realize that , i was just saying i'm getting it when it's available .I'm a essential worker and it would be nice to be able to go to work and not have to worry about if i'm going to get very sick and also pass it to others .

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Manitoba lockdown starting Thursday, positive in the sense something had to be done already to get these cases under control

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Absolutely i realize that , i was just saying i'm getting it when it's available .I'm a essential worker and it would be nice to be able to go to work and not have to worry about if i'm going to get very sick and also pass it to others .

Just curious but what do you do? Essential worker in Canada vs US or more specifically Georgia are very very different. Lol

Reactions: ps241

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Pfizer is stating they are expecting broad based distribution and access by Q3 of 2021.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Also Canada has already preordered 20million doses. That 10 million people since it’s two doses several weeks apart.

I believe that $20 million takes into account the two doses per person. Still only roughly half the population but I expect if things continue to go favorably they will order what else they need.

Reactions: Howard Chuck

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
There is nothing positive about lockdowns.

I disagree, Covid is starting to run loose through our hospitals and personal care homes right now and our hospital critical care wards are getting stretched to the limit. Deaths are starting to pile up. Our provincial government had their fingers up their collective bums for months and did little to prepare for a second wave, instead they put up billboards about Manitoba's glorious reopening plan. So if it helps save some more lives and reduces cases and it made our somewhat absentee Premier wake up, it is a positive.

I should probably clarify this isn't a total lockdown. Essential stores, businesses, pharmacies, health care related etc will still be open.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
At the very least, if not a month ago. All the evidence was there that things were getting bad. Backing down on the initial bar and restaurant closures was a mistake.

Yup. Just awful planning by our government. They thought because we didn't get hit in the opening wave that we wouldn't get hit bad in the second wave and have been completely unprepared and slow to react. How they didn't learn anything from what happened with the personal care homes in Ontario and Quebec juat floors me...

Reactions: Jets 31

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
I disagree, Covid is starting to run loose through our hospitals and personal care homes right now and our hospital critical care wards are getting stretched to the limit. Deaths are starting to pile up. Our provincial government had their fingers up their collective bums for months and did little to prepare for a second wave, instead they put up billboards about Manitoba's glorious reopening plan. So if it helps save some more lives and reduces cases and made our somewhat absentee Premier wake up, it is a positive.

I should probably clarify this isn't a total lockdown. Essential stores, businesses, pharmacies, health care related etc will still be open.

We flattened the curve like we were asked to.
We really clamped down.
Businesses had asked to reopen albeit in stages and they did.
We wear masks and social distance.

We are also heading into the typical cold and flu season on top of this.

I’m shocked anyone is actually surprised by this.

It’s either a handful of renegades that caused this or perhaps mankind has zero control over a virus.

I’m really thinking it’s the latter.

Reactions: Cypruss

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Just curious but what do you do? Essential worker in Canada vs US or more specifically Georgia are very very different. Lol
Nothing important really, i work in a large grocery store. Well i guess people need food but i'm no doctor or anything like that.

Reactions: MardyBum

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Unfortunately i think schools should have been closed as well. I know it's hard on parents but i was a kid once and i don't think i would have been very smart with this virus.

Gotaf7

Nov 6, 2011
Unfortunately i think schools should have been closed as well. I know it's hard on parents but i was a kid once and i don't think i would have been very smart with this virus.
Ya I agree but I no longer have kids in school so it is easy for me to say that. It just seems that Pallister has taken half measures since we dodged the first breakout.

Reactions: Jets 31

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
All the blame can't be laid on the government and I should say right now I don't like Pallister.
The people have to take some of this blame. The disease is spread by us. I am glad the restrictions are finally here and hope people are smarter the next time the restrictions are relaxed.
My heartfelt condolences to friends and families that have lost someone during the pandemic.
What is going on in our long term care homes needs to be dealt with and needs to be dealt with now.
Why did it take a pandemic to bring out how these people are(n't) being cared for? How many others are there in the province in the same shape?
Both the Maples and Parkview are owned by the same company too. Those people are responsible for people's deaths and should be dealt with accordingly.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
There's been next to zero evidence of transmission in the schools. Cases yes, but further transmission to other kids, no. So the kids in the school that are infected are identified, have picked it up elsewhere (i.e. NOT at school), subsequently stay home and aren't spreading it. What would closing do? If there's evidence of spread in schools, by all means, close them, but until there is you're shooting in the dark hoping to hit something and achieving nothing in the process except negative outcomes for a variety of people. Those outcomes aren't Covid related.

There's reasonable evidence that yes the bars should not have re-opened but minimal evidence of transmission from restaurants. Straight-forward restrictions on restaurants (50% capacity (which isn't really enough), 1 hour time limit, maximum 4 people per table, maximum 2 drinks, close at 9 P.M.) should have been sufficient. The Pancake House near me operated under all government restrictions but operated only from 7 A.M. to 3 P.M. to serve the seniors that are over-represented there. Was there spread going on there? Highly doubtful. Shutting them down when they put even greater restrictions on themselves is helpful?

As far as care homes go, we can amply fault our inglorious leader in Ottawa as well. They've done zip, zero, nada to make changes to the system.

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I'm doing Physio right now and i asked last time i was there if they would close with a lock down and my Physiotherapist said no but they would only be allowed to work on essential workers and postoperative clients .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad