News Article: COVID 19 POSITIVITY THREAD: Useful links, hopeful news etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
Hello all,

I found some super nice work published this morning on the discovery of a cryptic antigenic site (CR3022) in SARS-Cov-2 (COVID-19).

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/ ... id=3271861

Proteins may move around slightly or "breathe" in vivo, which imparts unique opportunities to make antibodies to shut down their function as they reveal or expose cryptic sites. This feature can be exploited for development of effective therapies.

The authors state:

"Examples of antibodies that do not have in vitro neutralization activity but confer in vivo protection, have also been reported for influenza virus (27), herpesvirus (28), cytomegalovirus (29), alphavirus (30), and dengue virus (31). Therefore, although CR3022 does not neutralize SARS-CoV-2 in vitro, it is possible that this epitope can confer in vivo protection."

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
VERY PROMISING!!!
https://nypost.com/2020/04/02/scientists-believe-they-found-potential-coronavirus-vaccine/
Scientists at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine believe that they’ve found a potential vaccine for the new coronavirus.
The researchers announced their findings Thursday and believe the vaccine could be rolled out quickly enough to “significantly impact the spread of disease,” according to their study published in EBioMedicine.
The vaccine would be delivered on a fingertip-size patch. When tested on mice, the vaccine produced enough antibodies believed to successfully counteract the virus.
The scientists say they were able to act fast because they had already done research on the similar coronaviruses SARS and MERS.
“These two viruses, which are closely related to SARS-CoV-2, teach us that a particular protein, called a spike protein, is important for inducing immunity against the virus,” read a statement from co-senior author Andrea Gambotto, M.D., associate professor of surgery at the Pitt School of Medicine.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Hello all,

I found some super nice work published this morning on the discovery of a cryptic antigenic site (CR3022) in SARS-Cov-2 (COVID-19).

https://science.sciencemag.org/content/ ... id=3271861

Proteins may move around slightly or "breathe" in vivo, which imparts unique opportunities to make antibodies to shut down their function as they reveal or expose cryptic sites. This feature can be exploited for development of effective therapies.

The authors state:

"Examples of antibodies that do not have in vitro neutralization activity but confer in vivo protection, have also been reported for influenza virus (27), herpesvirus (28), cytomegalovirus (29), alphavirus (30), and dengue virus (31). Therefore, although CR3022 does not neutralize SARS-CoV-2 in vitro, it is possible that this epitope can confer in vivo protection."

The last paragraph talking about a potential universal vaccine is really encouraging as well.
I didn’t understand much of the article :laugh:
but the takeaway is really good news

Reactions: kanadalainen

kanadalainen

A pint of dark matter, please.
Jan 7, 2017
The 100th Meridian
The last paragraph talking about a potential universal vaccine is really encouraging as well.
I didn’t understand much of the article :laugh:
but the takeaway is really good news

Sorry for the jargon in the article -its kind of thick, like me. :laugh: It caught my eye, because my daughter did her undergrad at Pitt (she is a swimmer, and went down there on a scholarship). I visited her a zillion times, and have to admit, Pittsburgh is a cool place.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
From the Johns Hopkins COVID-19 update:

"Spain reported a total of 135,032 confirmed cases and 13,055 deaths. Spain has the second most cases in the world, ahead of Italy, but its daily incidence has decreased considerably over the past week. Spain's incidence fell from a high of 9,222 new cases on March 31 to 4,273 in the most recent report. "

Nice to see Spain trending in the right direction.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Lockdown could eliminate Covid-19 - new NZ research

NZ well on the way to eliminating the virus!

Have they determined yet if your Hobbit population is at risk from the virus? Just to be safe, I don't think people should be visiting the Shire at this time. Hobbits are an endangered species, after all.

25052745298_4b3f69fd44_b.jpg

;)

Reactions: John Agar
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad