OT: COVID-19- March 17 2020 - No politics! Read post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Were going to use the rules that the corona virus forum had implemented. You will be immediately removed from conversation if you cannot abide by them.

Welcome to the COVID-19 Forum. This is going to be an all consuming subject for some time. We think it deserves its own forum.

This forum is not limited to hockey-related talk.

You may critique the response of government but don't make it political.
Posts attributing motives because it involves this or that political party/politician/ideology will not be tolerated.

Examples:
Allowed: "Trump doesn't know what he's doing, the response was too little too late"
Not Allowed: "The only reason the response was so slow was to keep the stock prices high so he can get reelected"

Allowed: "The media is over-reporting this and it's going to make things worse"
Not Allowed: "The liberal media is over-reporting this because they're trying to bring down Trump"

Miracle cures, home remedies, and medical advice should not be posted.

Be careful what you link to
, treat it like the trade forum we don't want to spread bad information.

How you're preparing, how this is affecting your community, news and information are the types of discussion this thread is for.

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
it should be humbling that such a little virus can bring every part of our life to its knees

we're soon going to be living in a world a lot like ready player one aren't we

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
If the mortality rate isn't as bad as what the media/gov say, and this turns out to be an overreaction to a lot of mixed messaging and media scare... couple that with loss of more rights and the real possibility of forced vaccinations etc. I think there are going to be a lot of very angry people in "fly-over country".

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
Let's not be the Toronto Maple Leafs during these troubled times. Let's, all of us, play like a team. Just like sports we will not win if we are not team players. My feeling is, we do what we have to together to get through this. How much do we need to survive. We should all do this in unison. This will end and nobody should think that anyone benefited more than anyone else. For those of us that are Leaf fans, if we all win this, it will be so much bigger and make us more proud than if we win the Cup.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
it should be humbling that such a little virus can bring every part of our life to its knees

we're soon going to be living in a world a lot like ready player one aren't we

People have to realize that for most everyone this is just a big inconvenience. Yes some will lose jobs and others will see retirement savings decrease but for the vast majority life will be back to "normal" within a month or so. Now compare our current situation to a time when we were going through a world war. Then millions of people were dying and food and goods were rationed for years. That was a time of real suffering.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
People have to realize that for most everyone this is just a big inconvenience. Yes some will lose jobs and others will see retirement savings decrease but for the vast majority life will be back to "normal" within a month or so. Now compare our current situation to a time when we were going through a world war. Then millions of people were dying and food and goods were rationed for years. That was a time of real suffering.

Agreed, except it will take longer than a month. I predict 2-3 months before things start reverting to normal.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

My parents used to have shelving with canned goods ... everything ... they used to keep stocked up. Looked like a section of a grocery store.

Probably a month of food for a family of 5, which I think was a holdover from the war.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Hmmmm.....interesting scenario for me. Sold my house at the end of November. Renting a place for the winter. Was on the cusp of making an offer on a place. Not really sure where to go with that now? Have had my eye on a place that was way overpriced. Before any of this hit, they dropped price a couple times and right before it hit dropped it again so that it has gone down about 30% from original ask. Again was way too high to begin with. Now I'm trying to figure out whether to leap or when?

On the upside because I sold when I did, I am fortunate enough to have zero debt and some money aside right now.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
My parents used to have shelving with canned goods ... everything ... they used to keep stocked up. Looked like a section of a grocery store.

Probably a month of food for a family of 5, which I think was a holdover from the war.

That's why I am the way I am. My folks I would say always had enough for probably 4 months or more.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Agreed, except it will take longer than a month. I predict 2-3 months before things start reverting to normal.

Being a Virus it could be a year or more. Many go around the world mutating for several years historically so either you get a treatment in place or it just keeps going around. Truth is, nobody knows the extent of how bad this is because all of the mixed messages. In Italy it's the creeping death, in SK it's not so bad, in China it was bad but is now apparently not as bad.

Very confusing

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009

So true, and very little was wasted.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Source?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

There is no source. It doesn't make a sense unless the fix becomes apparent ie. DRUG found on level of antibiotics to treat Covid19. Vaccine won't do the trick because mutations of Corona Virus, its the common cold and there is no cure for that.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006

My dad is the same way. If he sees things on sale, and yes that includes months' supply of toilet paper, he would just stock up. His whole mantra was, "It's always good to have extra." Same with the huge chest freezer -- meats, fish and frozen veggies he would find on sale just loaded up that would last half a year.

And to be honest, me and my siblings actually thought it was smart as opposed to wondering why we needed so much. It was always easy to just go in there and grab what we needed for the time. Never were in a pinch. You never really know, and now that we are experiencing the "never really know", it's as if things come full circle having my own family now and it making complete sense.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Hmmmm.....interesting scenario for me. Sold my house at the end of November. Renting a place for the winter. Was on the cusp of making an offer on a place. Not really sure where to go with that now? Have had my eye on a place that was way overpriced. Before any of this hit, they dropped price a couple times and right before it hit dropped it again so that it has gone down about 30% from original ask. Again was way too high to begin with. Now I'm trying to figure out whether to leap or when?

On the upside because I sold when I did, I am fortunate enough to have zero debt and some money aside right now.

Yea, different situations for a lot of folks. Myself am about to retire at end of April and my employer wants to immediately re-hire me back due to COVID-19. I've worked in front line health care my whole career and the big fear now is that our already over-crowded health care system will become overwhelmed by this virus. My health authority is reaching out to retirees to come back to work during the crisis. So instead of retiring, I am going to continue to work to help fight this. It beats sitting at home retired with no where to travel, eat out, etc, etc, etc.
A month ago I was feeling pretty high on life with my impending retirement, now....not so much.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
One thing that I've appreciated through this is the government's constant reference to the size of this country and the different demographic and geographic contexts nationwide, both from a risk mitigation and a economic support perspective.

The risk measures for the GTA may not be necessary for rural Canada. The fiscal support measures for the GTA might not be the right ones for rural Ontario. Finding the right balance will be key for the health and financial future of the country.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Not liking the escalations going on during all this stuff. Really adds to the discomfort of Covid19. Aren't they supposed to work together as a global community and come together to fight this thing?

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
Not liking the escalations going on during all this stuff. Really adds to the discomfort of Covid19. Aren't they supposed to work together as a global community and come together to fight this thing?

yeah we really don't need stupid escalation

this is what worries me a lot

we need leaders to shut up and treat their own people

Reactions: PromisedLand

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Yea, different situations for a lot of folks. Myself am about to retire at end of April and my employer wants to immediately re-hire me back due to COVID-19. I've worked in front line health care my whole career and the big fear now is that our already over-crowded health care system will become overwhelmed by this virus. My health authority is reaching out to retirees to come back to work during the crisis. So instead of retiring, I am going to continue to work to help fight this. It beats sitting at home retired with no where to travel, eat out, etc, etc, etc.
A month ago I was feeling pretty high on life with my impending retirement, now....not so much.

A relative of mine did a similar thing with a telecommunications company.

Took a buy-out (18 months salary), and was hired as a contractor the following week. (How much can you hide when you're getting Pension, Buy-Out and Contractor Wages all at the same time?)

And if you delay CPP 8% increase each year, and OAS 7% increase each year (after age 65), without contributing. Why women (especially) should delay taking CPP

mix1home

Sep 29, 2009
Toronto,ON
Uh oh... I was planning my vacation to Portugal and France that supposed to start yesterday and end April 1st. After travel advisory by government thought about it for a day, but then with heavy heart cancelled everything - international flights, local flights, trains, hotels, apartments stays, etc.
So much effort was spent on planning, booking, research...
Airbnb actually gave me full refunds for all properties due to circumstances.
Booking.com still investigating in light of recent travel quarantine and movement restrictions imposed by Canada and France.
Air Transat gave credit for future use, but charged 300 in cancellation fees on otherwise non-refundable flights.
Flight from Porto to Bordeaux got cancelled today by easyJet.
Looking at virus spread graphs and news, I think I just might escaped near disaster.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

Yeah my grampa went through WW1 as front line infantry, Spanish flu and the great depression. He was never more scared for his life as da war, never more sick with Spanish flu (even with cancer) and never as worried to provide for his family after he lost his business in depression --- his words direct RIP. But he lived to be 95. He always said everyday it was a pleasure to wake up. and he said his post WW11 years were da best. He hoped we never had to live through those kinda of traumatic moments in his life. I hope we can work together and get through this is quick as possible. There is never a more important time where we need to pull together. Everyone grab an oar and paddle together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad