Couturier or Matthews?

Who is better?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
Matthews has a better future, but right now i'll take the guy that actually shows up in playoffs and is better defensively. Couturier playing on one leg had 5x more points than Matthews did this year.

Reactions: Hot Dog Water Shaw

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Matthews has a better future, but right now i'll take the guy that actually shows up in playoffs and is better defensively. Couturier playing on one leg had 5x more points than Matthews did this year.
Couturier was a notorious under-performer in the playoffs previously, to the tune of 4 points in 19 games. But now he's the guy who "actually shows up in the playoffs" because he had one good series against a weak defensive team and weak goalie

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
Couturier was a notorious under-performer in the playoffs previously, to the tune of 4 points in 19 games. But now he's the guy who "actually shows up in the playoffs" because he had one good series against a weak defensive team and weak goalie

huge difference. Matthews was the 1C on his team this year. he was expected to produce. those past Couturier performances were when he was a rookie playing as a shutdown 3C. this was the first playoff he was in a scoring role, and he delivered. Matthews didn't.

Reactions: olli

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014

What?

Coutourier has played 24 career playoff games. He's recorded at least 1 point in only 4 games. A couple big games and then nada.

Yasuo

Sep 7, 2016
Matthews easily. I don't even know if Couturier will ever score 70+points again in his career

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007

you mean the team with 2 of the best players of all time and coming off back to back Stanley Cups?

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
So Hyman > Giroux then too right? 8 points in his last 13 playoff games vs 4 in 12 for Giroux.

that's pretty stupid on a numbers of levels. Giroux just finished 2nd in the league in scoring. he's also had monster playoffs before, we know he can elevate his game come playoffs. Matthews has yet to have a good run.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
that's pretty stupid on a numbers of levels. Giroux just finished 2nd in the league in scoring. he's also had monster playoffs before, we know he can elevate his game come playoffs. Matthews has yet to have a good run.
I mean, yeah except for literally last year where he had 4g 5pts in 6 games against a team that finished the regular season with 118 points. Short Memory I guess.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

4 goals 5 points in 6 games as a rookie is not a good run? Giroux used to be able to elevate his game, not so much in his past 3 runs. "Right now I'll take the guy who actually shows up in the playoffs", has Giroux actually shown up in the past 5 years?

Or, maybe, just maybe, small sample sizes of 6-7 games don't actually mean anything.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
4 goals 5 points in 6 games as a rookie is not a good run? Giroux used to be able to elevate his game, not so much in his past 3 runs. "Right now I'll take the guy who actually shows up in the playoffs", has Giroux actually shown up in the past 5 years?

Or, maybe, just maybe, small sample sizes of 6-7 games don't actually mean anything.

or we could just go by regular season where Giroux was the far better player. but this isn't about him and Matthews anyway.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
You're fooling if yourself if you think switching out Matthews for Couturier on the Leafs makes them a better team and switching out Couturier for Matthews on the Flyers doesn't make them a way better team.

bring back the jets

Oct 30, 2010
You're fooling if yourself if you think switching out Matthews for Couturier on the Leafs makes them a better team and switching out Couturier for Matthews on the Flyers doesn't make them a way better team.

The only advantage Couturier would have had over Matthews in the playoffs is that other teams would have cared far less to focus him out of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad