Post-Game Talk: Could've been worse. Leafs go down 3-1 in the game and the series.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Rielly’s best skill is that of an instinct puck rusher or a guy who aggressively joins the rush. That’s it. He’s of no use as a PPQB. Adds little to a structured breakout and transition. There’s no value in him becoming a more conservative defenseman since that’s a weakness he needs to constantly outscore and there’s no value in the revolving door of babysitters we have to carry to make him barely functional defensively.

Ideally, we replace the Top 2 D on the blueline via free agency and a massive trade. I don’t think that’s really out there yet but in any case Rielly isn’t good enough to be Top 2 and the lower down you push him he’s just too expensive to keep.
Rielly’s going to sge like potato salad left in the sun on a hot dummer day……

Reactions: PromisedLand

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
Source? Treliving signed them, just curious where Shanahan overruled him trading one of them or letting them walk.

And Dubas had complete control? So no need to dislike Dubas anymore?
It's actually more on Shanny than anyone else. He green lit this Nu-Hockey crap that we started and was on board with all of the picks and prospects traded. It's his job to put the brakes on. The only good thing he has done as President is stopping Dubas from getting Karlsson.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
2 months till July 1st

What's the over/under of Keefe getting dumped before that and some huge roster moves? Or is it "run it back again"

I think I am warming up to the idea of investing my free time doing something else in the evening instead of just Leafs LOL

Reactions: Cleetus

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
Mmm yes they lost so much better in those first-round and fake playoffs series'

Like I said, you've got very very high standards for first round losses.

Blowing a 3-1 series is superior to losing in 5.

You've got it all figured out.
The Dubas fans have moved off of "there are 31 losing teams every season", to now accepting that there are different levels of success/failure.

And all it took was a change in GM. Who'da thunk?

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
2 months till July 1st

What's the over/under of Keefe getting dumped before that and some huge roster moves? Or is it "run it back again"

I think I am warming up to the idea of investing my free time doing something else in the evening instead of just Leafs LOL
There is a sense of relief of this being over soon. I can just focus on my personal life without the distraction of games. Even if they beat Boston it's not like they'll do much beyond that lol, whoever wins this series is getting destroyed by Florida anyways.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
2 months till July 1st

Assuming we go on to lose this series, at the very least, Keefe and Shanahan will be fired. As for running it back, I think Treliving will at least explore the trade market for Marner.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
Judging purely by what Pittsburgh did and how weird those decisions were for Pittsburgh, I think a Dubas offseason would have seen us package off Brodie and spend some of the UFA dollars on Erik Karlsson, probably lock in Samsonov to the Jarry deal, re-sign Acciari. Maybe sign Ryan Graves.
1000% correct. I was a little worried that he got the boot because he said that everything would be on the table....but he seemed to go back to his doubling down on his previous mistakes in Pittsburgh and would have crippled us for years to come. Other than the Willy deal...Tre hasn't done a really stupid long term deal...yet...

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
It's strange that one one hand you want to use statistics to quantify which loss is worse, but you are seemingly ignoring the most important element of the equation, and that's the opponents.

Who do you think were the toughest opponents out of Montreal, Columbus and Boston? Surely that should be a big factor in which defeat was "the worst," no?

In the playoffs Leafs have consistently been the 2nd best or have had 2nd best
- Scoring
- Defense
- Goalie
- Offense
- Effort
- Coaching
etc....

The dubas stink that people expect to go away wouldn't be done in a jiffy. Hell even when you leave out rotten milk out in the kitchen the filthy smell takes its sweet time to get away anyway....

IMO one cannot judge Treliving 100% until Tavares is off the cap to see what Tre can really do. Tre is handcuffed here with NTCs and NMCs. He has chosen his horses in Matthews and Nylander; other than that there has not been any significant commitment in terms of NTC/NMC/Term/AAV by him. So as far as I am concerned thats pretty good given what he was given to work with and the shit he had to deal in calgary with the flames owners

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
The Leaf doctors pulled him from the game, likely due to the risk of dehydration. He was running on fumes the last couple of games due to food poisoning.

He should be back to normal by Tuesday.
He has a bad ankle....it's not food poisoning. He got hauled down late in game 2 or 3 in the corner and twisted his left ankle. He could barely use his left leg to get off the ice at the end of the 2nd. He ain't coming back....

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
He has a bad ankle....it's not food poisoning. He got hauled down late in game 2 or 3 in the corner and twisted his left ankle. He could barely use his left leg to get off the ice at the end of the 2nd. He ain't coming back....
If that were the case, I think they would just say that he has a lower body injury like they do with everyone else. I don't think they would have said that the team physicians pulled him off.

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
In fairness those players in the 'grit' list have made some notable mistakes leading to goals in the series. But it is redemption to get those back.
The guys paid to actually produce are not but let's put the blame on the supporting cast lmao

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad