Post-Game Talk: Could've been worse. Leafs go down 3-1 in the game and the series.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
I agree with being patient, but at the time that the Leafs signed Tavares it looked like the team was ready to take the next step to becoming a playoff contender. The team had three emerging stars that were already doing really well and adding JT looked to be a great move when you were signing a vet star player in his prime to be your leader and to take the team to the next level.

Hard to say that it was a bad move in that context and looking at his stats every season he's been a Leaf he's either been at or near a point per game player except for this year. I mean sure he hasn't had that elite level impact that we hoped he could deliver, but he's still been a really good player during his time here and he's been productive and impactful for longer than many expected him to be when a number of people accepted that he would decline near the end of his contract and yet here he is with one year left after this season and he's still putting up good numbers.

I think the idea was that either Matthews or Tavares will be able to win their match ups as the other faces higher QoC.

There had been plenty of evidence that Tavares was not that kind of player from NYI. Winners find a way to win. Tavares has never been that kind of guy.

Example: Crosby, Toews, Kopitar, ROR, etc....

None of the players mentioned above had their team add super elite talent with high AAV from UFA market in the time they were competing to win except perhaps Hossa for the hawks. But Hossa had jsut played 2 SFS back to back losing both times on different teams. And pens traded for Kessel while Leafs retained 2 AAV from that trade for the duration of that contract.

Tavares was not the kinda player Leafs needed IMO; and if they really wanted to go for Tavares they should have traded one of Nylander/Marner at the time. The "We can and We Will" hubris came back to bite Leafs on teh ass not only in terms of cap allocation but also in terms of maintaining any kind of draft capital for sustained success and progress

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
View attachment 860965

It’s almost over.

Based on things, I think if you tell Marner he’s not being resigned, and if he doesn’t work with the team to find a deal, they will put him out after every game to answer questions, he will waive.

He's got thin skin and an ego. He will get his money and get out of the thunder dome.

He will waive.

This team cannot remain as assembled and he’s the easiest to lift out.

Shanahan out
Keefe out
Marner out

This needs to happen this summer.

Enough of this shit already.

May be ask Marner to make a new list on who is the "SOFTEST" Leaf on the roster who gives up a play as soon as he sees hit coming and continues to turnover the puck like a scared child

Mike4Leafs4ever

Feb 22, 2020
Babcock might be a pos, but he saw through the rotten character of the whiny trio, especially marner.
Yes, the original sin of Dubas was firing Babcock. It let the the core think they run the show. Huge mistake. Better to have let the core change the ways or let the season die. Too late now, they are older and spoiled to the core.

The second sin was not firing Keefe after the Colombus series, and just outrageous not to fire him after the Montreal series.

Shannon has to go. Nothing can be fixed until he is gone.

Reactions: seventieslord

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
You're kinder than I.

I just don't see the point, at this point.
That might be the first time anyone has ever used that word on my hockey comments without a word like "not" in the sentence haha.

I am tired of Captain Mumbles. I am. I just think that Marner, Keefe and Shanahan are bigger priorities I guess.

Reactions: Rare Jewel

ThrowDemTongs

kid named jeff finger
Mar 21, 2013
Coquitlam, BC
They were in the same position last year, so it will be interesting to see how they approach game 5 this year.
It's going to take a monumental shift. I wish they were just playing possum and will pull an Uncle Phil and just say, "Geoffrey, break out Lucille" but I don't think it's happening.

I'll watch, but I'm not counting on it. It's been a fun year on here, though, man.

Last edited:

Blanka

Mar 27, 2013

1000003848.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad