Could USA/Canada game outdraw HNIC?

Discussion in 'The Business of Hockey' started by dakota, Dec 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dakota

dakota Registered User

Home Page:
    Just curious who will be watching... it will be interesting to see the numbers on Monday. Will it outdraw the Toronto Maple Leafs?

2. Avery4Byng*

Avery4Byng* Guest

I think it most definately will.

3. Squiddy*

Squiddy* Registered User

Ofcourse. The salt lake finals drew a 10.2 share in America. That alone is more than HNIC.

4. ludger

ludger Registered User

Habs game for me. If anything last nights game was one of the worst hockey that I ever seen, man, those guys are only 18 or 19. a lot to learn and polish yet. Give me the new NHL anytime

5. Squiddy*

Squiddy* Registered User

oh wait for the world juniors? No..

6. Namso

Namso Registered User

the leafs are playing the devils so that's not a big matchup. I think it could perhaps come close. Still a lot of people don't have cable so that might help HNIC.

If it was leafs/habs then forget about it.

7. Tricolore#20

Tricolore#20 PK PK PK

Home Page:
    Apparently, you won't be able to see any of the Canadiens game until after the USA/Canada game is done. RDS is showing the World Jr game first, and jumping into the Canadiens/Canes in progress. SRC isn't showing the Canadiens either, so we'll have to watch the Canada game.

8. dakota

dakota Registered User

Home Page:
    well the game is on nationally up against the HNIC Toronto game... I know most Canadians outside of Toronto will be watching it - it will be a good test to see if another game can outdraw the LEAFS nationally. This way maybe CBC will at least broadcast other games (English CBC) at 7:00 nationally (let Toronto area still have their leafs games) and let all other Canadians watch other games.

9. Garbs

Garbs Registered User

Most definitely, especially considering their opponent.

10. go_leafs_go02

go_leafs_go02 Registered User

Student
    Home Page:
    I don't know..tough call to make.

I don't get TSN as it isn't covered on my basic cable, but i get Sportsnet. So I will definately be watching the Leaf game. Personally I'd start watching the leaf game, but if it got boring (like a lot of games do) I'd switch over to TSN to watch if I could, especially during commercials and intermissions.

what CBC and HNIC have going for it, is that anyone, anyone at all can pick up the game with an antenna, TSN isn't the same story, as in this case. :(

11. Ogopogo*

Ogopogo* Guest

I will definitely watch it ahead of a Leafs game. I would watch the Oilers over World Juniors any day.

12. Scoogs

Scoogs Registered User

Will be watching both... So.. yeah..

13. rwilson99

rwilson99 Registered User

Real Estate Agent
    Home Page:
    That's more than all of Canada.

14. dakota

dakota Registered User

Home Page:
    have the numbers been posted anyone know of a link to where we can see them? Or is it all on a need to know basis only?

15. jamiebez

jamiebez Registered User

The ratings were in this morning's Globe and Mail. The junior game on TSN drew ~1,200,000 viewers, Leafs-Devils on CBC drew ~600,000.

Juniors by almost a 2:1 margin!

16. Schenn02

Schenn02 Registered User

Home Page:

Yup read it as well, gotta admit though, watching the Juniors made watching the Leafs unbearable on Sat night!

17. Mr BLUEandWHITE

Mr BLUEandWHITE Registered User

that is what i was thinking i was watching canada at first i think i watched the leaf game 10 min max

18. blank_username

blank_username Registered User

Toronto Star reported it to be:
    - per-minute average of 1.4 million for USA vs CAN
    - peaked at 1.6 million making it the most-watched roundrobin broadcast in world junior hockey history
    - Devils vs Leafs: 612,000 (half the season average) - believed to be the lowest audience for a Saturday night Leaf game EVER
    - Edmonton vs Calgary: 742,000

no surprises really...

19. dakota

dakota Registered User

Home Page:
    so does this mean that if CBC showed another team nationally on Saturday night (SENS or CANADIENS) that they could draw 1.2 million and still broadcast leaf game and get 600,000? It means more viewership ratings... I am sure more people in the country would watch more hockey on Saturday night...

20. ryz

ryz Registered User

I'm with you. I firmly believe that if CBC got off the "All Leafs, All the Time" mantra they wouldn't see much if any ratings drops by showcasing the other Canadian teams. The days when english speaking Canadians had only 1 team to cheer for are long over.

21. blank_username

Maybe IF your working on the premise that SENS or CANADIENS could outdraw LEAFS game....let's face it 600,000 + for the leafs on saturday (vs devils, a game that paled considerably against a USA vs CAN matchup) is not that horrible considering that the flames and oilers only managed to draw 100,000 more after the USA vs CAN...

22. blank_username

the ratings dropped for one saturday night when a much anticipated USA vs CAN matchup was showing...only a marquee matchup (i.e. leafs vs sens/habs) could have put competition with the viewership on saturday...do u think that if sens/habs/oilers/flames/canucks vs devils could have drawn more than 600,000+ on saturday? i highly doubt it....

and i don't agree with "All Leafs, All the Time", it's more of "Leafs are the priority" because last time i checked, CBC still show games that leafs are not participating in and no i am not saying that it's fair but i guess money talks and leafs do roll in the most dough among all 6 canadian teams even you can't argue that and yes, money absolutely matters even to CBC

23. dakota

dakota Registered User

Home Page:
    im not talking about scraping the Leafs game regionally (keep it for sure) but show the rest of the country once and awhile another game nationally (keep leafs game regionally) and suddently you have more viewers watching that time slot.

24. ryz

ryz Registered User

That's exactly what I'm trying to say. Out west here (Calgary) I garauntee a higher vieweship for a Sens vs. Team A over a Leafs vs. Team A in the same time slot. Show all leafs games regionally, that's fine with me, but at this point the Sens are a more popular Eatern Canadian team in Western Canada right now, probably by a ways too.

25. blank_username

you can guarantee? and "by ways too"?? do you have any some sort of proof to back this up?...you could make a good argument if you would have said the Habs but the Sens? I would have to disagree with you...let's put it this way...if the Sens were the ones being shown natioally and not the leafs, there would be WAY more complaints to CBC by leaf fans not being able to watch them...it's hard to deny the leafs that they have a huge following all over Canada

but that is not to say i don't understand the frustration that fans of other teams have i'm just saying that I understand why CBC do what they do...i'm sure they do research on those type of things

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.