Corsi, Corsi, Corsi!

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
mm16.jpg

Since some of you guys seem to be talking up corsi (and now even Foxy), I decided to do some legwork (and I hate legwork). From limited time in doing research, I've found that corsi can be a useful tool. And in fact, if you look at the past 6 yrs since its inception in 2007-8 season, just looking at the CF% which is basically a plus/minus for shots on goal+shots missed+blocked shots, 4 out of past 6 years, a team ranked in the top 4 in CF% has won the stanley cup.

2007-2008 Det 58.7% (ranked 1st)
2008-2009 Pit 48.1% (ranked 19th)
2009-2010 Chi 56.55 (ranked 1st)
2010-2011 Bos 50.7% (ranked 14th)
2011-2012 LA 54.8% (ranked 2nd)
2012-2013 Chi 54.1% (ranked 4th)

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/teamstats.php?disp=1&db=201314&sit=5v5&sort=CFPCT&sortdir=DESC

What I don't understand is how corsi can or is being used to determine each individual player ( i.e. Muzzin) when there are so many variables that can come into play. So, if someone is a corsi expert or even just a casual corsirian, feel free to chime in and educate.

6a015431fc4e55970c017ee5e35b15970d-800wi

Last edited:

Muzzinga

Regehr GOAT
Oct 30, 2009
Its better for judging teams because the quality of shots taken by each team generally evens out because of the average of all the players. Just for example, about 20% of every teams shots is a quality shot, with only a tiny % variation (just made that number up, but you get the idea). So the more shots a team generates, the better they are

For individual players, it is not the same, because individual players can create far greater quality chances per shot. Crosby and Orr aren't going to create the same quality of chances, so even if by some miracle Orr outshot Crosby, Crosby would still outproduce him easily

In the examples above, Pittsburgh could get away with a poorer Corsi because with Malkin and Crosby, they score more goals for every shot than any other team. And Boston weren't that great of a team, they rode a red hot goalie and still needed 3 game 7's to win

*far from an expert though, as Andy Sutton would point out

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Well, your team can't be ranked highly in the Corsi rating unless you have a number of players that are highly rated.

Muzzin is the #1 defenseman in the NHL right now. Does that mean he is a Norris candidate? Of course not, but he sure as hell isn't as awful a player as some around here think.

Face Wash

Mar 17, 2002
Visit site
So sick of Corsi and Fenwick. Watch the games.

I'm a huge stat freak and even I approve this message.:handclap:

But for this team, the only stat I truly care about as far as individual performance outside of goals and assists is Giveaways, Takeaway/Giveaway Ratio and what other things a player brings to the table if Giveaways are too high and the ratio is too low.

The only player I really question as far as that goes this season is Slava. His G/T ratio is abysmal and what else is he doing this season? At times he's been the worst defenseman on the ice. So I'm a little worried about him, but he's always been a great playoff player and this team is built for the playoffs.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
I'm a huge stat freak and even I approve this message.:handclap:

But for this team, the only stat I truly care about as far as individual performance outside of goals and assists is Giveaways, Takeaway/Giveaway Ratio and what other things a player brings to the table if Giveaways are too high and the ratio is too low.

The only player I really question as far as that goes this season is Slava. His G/T ratio is abysmal and what else is he doing this season? At times he's been the worst defenseman on the ice. So I'm a little worried about him, but he's always been a great playoff player and this team is built for the playoffs.

Giveaways and Takeaways are basically random in the NHL scoring. I could randomly select numbers and they will likely be more accurate in fact. There is no set rule for what constitutes a giveaway or takeaway and even worse all rinks are different. A direct pass to another player may be labeled as a takeaway, a giveaway or just not recorded at all, at random. I would not use that stat for a single measly thing, it is worse than useless, IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad