OT: Coronavirus XXXIX: Local Covid Talk, No Politics, No Derailing, See OP

Status
Not open for further replies.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
This is the third time I've been summoned to this thread (and I'm barely online right now) in the last few days. Y'all need a break.
This will be the last one.

Whenever a new Covid thread is started:
1. It must ONLY be about local issues relating to the Corona virus response. The goal of the team board threads is not meant to have 32 different Corona virus boards, it's to discuss pertinent issues to Edmonton in this case; not the entire pandemic as a topic.

2. Politics, as usual, stop doing it.
Discussing the response by politicians isn't against the rules inherently, it is when you start talking about parties, libs vs cons, US Politics, or whatever else that's not directly related to a virus response.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
There will be a zero tolerance policy here. If you don't abide by the rules or come in here just to stir the pot you will be dealt with harshly as this is an important topic and something thatw e should be able to discuss at the board level without the added BS that the last few threads and some previous threads have had. This is the 39th Covid thread, by now most of you should know the drill.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
There will be a zero tolerance policy here. If you don't abide by the rules or come in here just to stir the pot you will be dealt with harshly as this is an important topic and something thatw e should be able to discuss at the board level without the added BS that the last few threads and some previous threads have had. This is the 39th Covid thread, by now most of you should know the drill.

Thanks Bryan. Just to clarify, we can't link news about vaccine improvements, delays etc, that while are not really a local issue, does end up affecting us locally?

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
Thanks Bryan. Should we be sticking to posts with substantiated claims, data, etc. like the updates of @bellagiobob, investigations of the AZ vaccine for blood clotting, news of vaccine delivery/rollout in Canada, etc, or can we still post opinions without any backing? Just trying to understand the expectations of this thread before responding to posts.

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I don't make this comment often or at all, but maybe its because I have some people on ignore but I don't know what specifically shut the last thread down. Phoenix, others, and I were having a reasonable exchange on the impacts of Coronavirus and how it effects suicide rates, accidental deaths etc. This didn't seem to be political at all and yet thats when it got shutdown. Was the shutdown latent? Because the thread seemed to be going OK.

I'll mirror the comments of others. I'm not saying anything Political in the threads and haven't for several months. Not sure what is and isn't OK.

More and more I'm just isolating on commenting on things that are meant to be helpful. Updates on side effects, vaccines, numbers etc.

ps I've read @SniperHF comments again and this part is tricky. That the thread here is only to discuss Edmonton specific pandemic and not pandemic as a whole. The trouble with this is it doesn't even encompass who our membership is on this board. Many are not residing in Edmonton. So that our convo's here involve as many places as we live. Much broader than Edmonton. Plus that its a pandemic. I'm not sure its easy to jsut keep to Edmonton when the Pandemic is global, which is what Pandemic refers to. So I'm legitimately, I think, confused. Edmonton Oilers nation is very global. Uniquely so because the glory years Oilers built legions of fans across the globe that come here to discuss.

If this was an Edmonton specific microcosm of course it would make sense. But of course we're impacted by the pandemic and what happens in different regions. For instance an outbreak of a variant in Vancouver will hit us. Soon. A report on vaccination availability or suitability will impact us here in Edmonton. Even the AHS updates are provincial, they are not Edmonton specific.

Last edited:

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
A rare poster uploaded a picture meant to denigrate an individual. Just the picture, nothing else.

I very, very rarely report and never when it is aimed at me, but I reported it. It was cruel. It forced a MOD to show up repeatedly on a long weekend. Sorry about that, @SniperHF .

Then the thread was shut down. So blame me a bit, the unknown poster more. ;)

Please don't denigrate others. Be respectful.

Thanks, Mods.

trick91

Jun 7, 2012
looks like there will be an emergency cabinet meeting today to decide if to impose restrictions. Got a feeling restaurants go to take out or patio dining only. Gyms is up in the air. BC allowed gyms to remain open with certain restrictions, while Ontario closed them all. Will be interesting to see.

Reactions: oilers'72

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
looks like there will be an emergency cabinet meeting today to decide if to impose restrictions. Got a feeling restaurants go to take out or patio dining only. Gyms is up in the air. BC allowed gyms to remain open with certain restrictions, while Ontario closed them all. Will be interesting to see.

The thing to watch for is if Kenney or Shandro are set to appear at the news conference today.

So far it's just Dr. Hinshaw.

But I feel like they're going to have to take some kind of step backwards. Numbers are increasing too quickly, and vaccines moving too slowly to make a different soon enough.

They did announce today that category 2B vaccine candidates have been moved up to those born in 1973 and earlier. I just narrowly missed eligibility by a few years. Drat.

Duke74

Jan 13, 2018
The thing to watch for is if Kenney or Shandro are set to appear at the news conference today.

But I feel like they're going to have to take some kind of step backwards. Numbers are increasing too quickly, and vaccines moving too slowly to make a different soon enough.

They did announce today that category 2B vaccine candidates have been moved up to those born in 1973 and earlier. I just narrowly missed eligibility by a few years. Drat.

The second paragraph in this article indicates that Hinshaw will be joined by "officials," which I think means Shandro and/or Kenney:

Dr. Hinshaw to update Alberta's COVID-19 status for first time since Easter weekend

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
In a startling moment of competence, Toronto has decided to close all schools for in-person learning following Peel’s lead.

Hopefully, where I live (York) follows suit.

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007

Check to see Hinshaw's bangs. If she has really short bangs, she's had a fresh cut because she knows salons will be shutting down shortly. Apparently the 'bangs' analysis has correlated well with the previous two lockdowns.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
In a startling moment of competence, Toronto has decided to close all schools for in-person learning following Peel’s lead.

Hopefully, where I live (York) follows suit.

One of the things I think this government has gotten right is that at least elementary schools have all remained open for in-class teaching this entire school year. Schools have not been a major source of transmission.

Reactions: AM

Skar

Jul 2, 2016
@bellagiobob Have you signed up for the Pfizer vaccination? My dad wanted to wait until my mom was eligible as well so they're both scheduled to receive the Pfizer vaccine this week.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
Check to see Hinshaw's bangs. If she has really short bangs, she's had a fresh cut because she knows salons will be shutting down shortly. Apparently the 'bangs' analysis has correlated well with the previous two lockdowns.
I heard Sandro moved up his tanning appointment a week early. All signs are pointing to another lockdown.

OfCorsiDid

Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
One of the things I think this government has gotten right is that at least elementary schools have all remained open for in-class teaching this entire school year. Schools have not been a major source of transmission.

The Schools haven't been great out here that's for sure (236 new cases in schools alone in Ontario yesterday). I mean realistically its only an actual shut down for 3 days (7th to 9th). The week after is April break so everyone had that week off anyway so I don't really mind it.

It would be better if during that time TDSB and the other local school boards could get their teachers vaccinated, but alas that's probably not gonna happen.

OfCorsiDid

Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Competence..... lol

236 new cases in Schools yesterday. 3 day shut down before a week long break that everyone gets anyway.

Idk it seems to make sense to me, especially if that extra time is used to vaccinate teachers.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
236 new cases in Schools yesterday. 3 day shut down before a week long break that everyone gets anyway.

Idk it seems to make sense to me, especially if that extra time is used to vaccinate teachers.

Why teachers specifically?

There are a whole lot of front-line health care workers who still aren't vaccinated. We won't get to them until category 2C. Besides teachers had the option to teach online-only at the start of the year.

DaGap

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017

A yes just like our school that had 1 case which cause almost 400 kids to have to go remote for 2 weeks

236 cases out of what a million+ lol overeaction

Reactions: oilers'72

OfCorsiDid

Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Why teachers specifically?

There are a whole lot of front-line health care workers who still aren't vaccinated. We won't get to them until category 2C. Besides teachers had the option to teach online-only at the start of the year.

Teachers are a part of Phase 2 in Ontario which began today.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Teachers are a part of Phase 2 in Ontario which began today.

Well in Alberta HC workers working directly with Covid or in ERs of intensive Care were included in Phase 1 (as well as nursing home residents). Phase 2A was older Albertans 65+. Phase 2B (where we are now) is pre-existing health conditions. 2C (up next) is health care workers not included in Phase 1, as well as other front-line services like police or EMS.

I don't see why teachers should necessarily come ahead of any of those groups. Maybe 2D which still isn't fleshed out. Phase 3 will be the general public.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad