OT: Coronavirus. NHL conference call with announcement shortly after

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Over here in Europe there is pretty much mayhem behind the scenes of many sporting events due to what is happening all over the place.

My sister in-law who is playing woman's football in Italy and the state of what is going on there is jarring.

While it is a serious topic, there is now discussion about European Football games being cancelled or played in empty stadiums.

The Ice Hockey World Championships will be looking at the situation again the 15th of March with a final decision on March 31st. I know guys that are part of the team GB support staff and they have been told to hold off on all travel plans until further notice. They do not think the games will go a head.

Obviously I am in Europe where things are getting a little strange.

The question has to be asked, with coronavirus still spreading and not contained will not just the NHL but MLB and other pro sports leagues cancel, delay or reschedule games?

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Olympics will be cancelled. I imagine in a month or so's time we will be seeing NHL games with no spectators. Tons of countries in Europe and Asia already doing this.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
A vendor at the last Seattle XFL game tested positive for it yesterday. The XFL issued a statement today asking those over 60 years old or with respiratory issues and some other conditions to stay home from games.

That to me is the most common sense approach and I can see most pro leagues in NA doing the same.

Reactions: ujju2

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
This may well cancel the stanley cup. The virus is here and will spread. Surreal feeling, but good chance were gonna be like all those other places on earth with restricted contact. All these kinds of events and school and concerts, canceled.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Going to Vegas and Phoenix in May for some hiking. Hopefully I don't have to cancel anything since I've already booked everything in January.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Olympics will be cancelled. I imagine in a month or so's time we will be seeing NHL games with no spectators. Tons of countries in Europe and Asia already doing this.

Unless government forced the NHL won't do anything. Too much money to refund in a gate driven league. They would cancel games before playing in empty stadiums.

Also I suspect Olympics will be pushed back to september or october.

Last edited:

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

I know a few guys that are part of the Canadian support team. They have to pay for their own transport and housing and they have been told to hold off on booking flights or accommodation till further notice

Reactions: Sweetpotato

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Unless government forced the NHL won't do anything. Too much money to refund in a gate driven league. They would cancel games before playing in empty stadiums.

Also I suspect Olympics will be pushed back to september or october.
Televising empty arenas will still generate more money than cancelling games especially if it's the playoffs.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Televising empty arenas will still generate more money than cancelling games especially if it's the playoffs.

No because then you have to pay the players and all the support staff needed to put a game on. These soccer leagues make almost all their money from TV so they can play empty.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I don't think there will be cancellations unless players themselves start contracting the virus. Though gates are a big revenue generator for the NHL, TV generates more.

But I really wouldn't be surprised to see televised games with empty buildings.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
No because then you have to pay the players and all the support staff needed to put a game on. These soccer leagues make almost all their money from TV so they can play empty.

How much support staff do you need for an empty arena?

The players will get paid regardless.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

Just imagine watching playoffs hockey at the comfort of your home due to the coronavirus spread. Less parties and more households viewing of the games. The gates and local bars will suffer but the viewings will increase drastically. I for one wouldn't invite anyone over and do a small celebration with the family if that's the case

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
There were recent meetings discussing whether the U18s and World Championships will be cancelled. Not sure about the NHL though.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Just imagine watching playoffs hockey at the comfort of your home due to the coronavirus spread. Less parties and more households viewing of the games. The gates and local bars will suffer but the viewings will increase drastically. I for one wouldn't invite anyone over and do a small celebration with the family if that's the case

Viewership doesn't increase revenue though. At least not in the short term.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
When I was bringing this up on the OT board over a month ago I was being told that it was a nothing impact, overblown, "nothing to worry about" and that focus on the virus only produced fear and that it was not going to be a pandemic.

hmmm

Meanwhile the virus has had well over 100K victims and 3.5% of those contracting the virus die.

Along time ago I was saying that flights should not be occurring, at all, involving countries harboring this virus.

World wide contain is now completely broken. 7k cases in South Korea, 5K cases in Italy, 5k cases in Iran.

Also the one cruiseship was pretty much a case study in now much this virus will spread in an unintended control quarantine paradigm. Pretty much hiliting how ineffective limited quarantine is.

By all means I would avoid airports, hospitals, mass gatherings, malls, schools (University of Alberta) etc. I say U of A because a large amount of students there that have travelled to and from the infected countries.

The good news is that for weeks the new cases in China has pretty much flatlined. Recoveries also increasing. The spread subsequent to China is rest of the world. To this point 21K cases outside of China.

People will make their own choices.

Hopefully Canada avoids huge infected numbers and we can get through the next few weeks, and then contagion season is past us. By next flu season better medical options, treatment, vaccination could exist.

Last edited:
Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I don't think there will be cancellations unless players themselves start contracting the virus. Though gates are a big revenue generator for the NHL, TV generates more.

But I really wouldn't be surprised to see televised games with empty buildings.

it could be beyond the NHLs control

there are talks here in the UK of grounding all non essential flights

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
There will be a vaccine in no time. Nothing to worry about
According to an AMA done on reddit by some researchers with MRIGlobal:

MRIGlobal:
The US government's projected timeline for deploying a vaccine is 12-18 months. This is impressive given that most vaccines and drugs take 10 years and billions of dollars to develop.
Coronaviruses do mutate, but that wouldn't necessarily render the vaccine ineffective

While we absolutely shouldn't go into full blown panic mode, saying "Nothing to worry about" is definitely not the right attitude either.

The full thread can be found here for those curious.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
According to an AMA done on reddit by some researchers with MRIGlobal:

While we absolutely shouldn't go into full blown panic mode, saying "Nothing to worry about" is definitely not the right attitude either.

The full thread can be found here for those curious.

Interesting, thanks for the link.

Reactions: 3IR
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad