Coronavirus in Football

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006

So, italy’s government is thinking of suspending the league for 2 weeks. It will happen I think and other leagues will probably follow. We are in the 2nd wave and it won’t get better just yet.

Reactions: Juve

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
It's probably the best thing to do at this point.
I also read Serie A is in danger of collapse is that hyperbole or a legit concern?

Yeah bigger picture it is best to lock it down everywhere until the vaccine is available.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Is it really necessary? Second wave and all, but cases are 'spiking' among massive influxes of announced false positives and a rapidly declining deathrate/serious illness rate. Speaking only of sports teams in general most of these guys don't even show any symptom at all and are back playing within a week or two much like most common illnesses they may contract.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site

So, italy’s government is thinking of suspending the league for 2 weeks. It will happen I think and other leagues will probably follow. We are in the 2nd wave and it won’t get better just yet.

I can understand Series A doing as they have had multiple players test positive. No need for the EPL to do anything so drastic at this point.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Note there was an article that talked about it, but then it went on about a certain players contract (Ozil). I can't link / post on that on these parts, so you'll just have to find the articles yourself.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Vladimir Coufal tested positive for Covid on international duty with the Czechs before their NL match in Israel. Big outbreak in their squad (again) apparently. Soucek supposedly tested negative, but if I'm West Ham I send a plane asap and get him back in England.

Internationals in the middle of a pandemic really needs to be rethought. Especially for meaningless friendlies.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Vladimir Coufal tested positive for Covid on international duty with the Czechs before their NL match in Israel. Big outbreak in their squad (again) apparently. Soucek supposedly tested negative, but if I'm West Ham I send a plane asap and get him back in England.

Internationals in the middle of a pandemic really needs to be rethought. Especially for meaningless friendlies.
Nevermind on Coufal:

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
German TV stations are struggling to find personnel for the upcoming games on the weekend. As per the German league's Covid plan they can't use staff residing in a Covid hot spot on location at the games..but by now a large chunk of Germany is designated a Covid hot spot as per German government guidelines..so now they're running out of staff who don't live in those areas and would be able to work the games.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
Edouard, El Hamed, and Bitton have tested positive while on on international duty. Christie in isolation due to close contract with Armstrong on international duty. 4 players potentially unavailable now for celtic for big games in the next 2 weeks. Total bullshit to be playing stupid ass international games right now.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
If the virus situation is so bad that international games shouldn't be played, then club football shouldn't be being played either.

gnr25

May 22, 2008
Ottawa
Europe has glorified friendlies this week while South America has qualifiers. Any other continents should have had friendlies in Europe.

Africa has qualifiers in November.
Asia and North America have postponed their games until 2021.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
If the virus situation is so bad that international games shouldn't be played, then club football shouldn't be being played either.
Currently approximately 0.0005% of the Canadian population is COVID positive and 0.008% of that number are in hospital/critical (154 people total). Apparently Canada is now considered a hot zone for travel and anyone coming out of it has to quarantine. The response to this virus has certainly been interesting.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
German TV stations are struggling to find personnel for the upcoming games on the weekend. As per the German league's Covid plan they can't use staff residing in a Covid hot spot on location at the games..but by now a large chunk of Germany is designated a Covid hot spot as per German government guidelines..so now they're running out of staff who don't live in those areas and would be able to work the games.
It's effin' hilarious what they implemented, some places are like in full lock down, but a twenty minute drive and you can pretty much do anything. Makes no sense, when people - who carry the virus but don't know it yet - in the hotspots will travel out of their state and go to less hotspots making those places future hotspots. Either shut it down fully or not.

Currently approximately 0.0005% of the Canadian population is COVID positive and 0.008% of that number are in hospital/critical (154 people total). Apparently Canada is now considered a hot zone for travel and anyone coming out of it has to quarantine. The response to this virus has certainly been interesting.
Again it makes no sense to crash the economy for 1-5% of the population who're susceptible.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Stick to how this effects soccer and not the politics of it.

Having these players go around the world and coming back is not ideal. Now with the Continental tournaments beginning just more of chance of things spreading. Like what happened in Liverpool and Bergamo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad