OT: Coronavirus (COVID-19): Part VI (NO RIOT/PROTEST DISCUSSION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Are people really that bent? In real life I mean. I know there are a few outliers that of course get recorded and plastered on social media. And I know people talk big on Twitter and whatever. But I think (thought) people are generally reasonable in public. But I don't know. Been a while since I've been in NY for more than a few days. Maybe I'm projecting.

They absolutely are. I went to the grocery store last week and there was a middle-aged woman screaming at the kid at the door who was denying entry to people without masks. She was railing on and on about her "rights" while standing a few feet away from an elderly store attendant who must've been in his 70's. Apparently they had to call the police on her.

FWIW, I'm in western PA not NY. Our county went "green" three weeks ago and there's already an uptick in cases amongst 20-30 year olds as of this morning. People just couldn't wait to get back to the bars. I drove by a local bar-heavy area on Saturday night and it was swamped with younger people, very few of whom were wearing masks.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
D6526875-2788-4BD3-9EC1-757553CB1E02.png
They absolutely are. I went to the grocery store last week and there was a middle-aged woman screaming at the kid at the door who was denying entry to people without masks. She was railing on and on about her "rights" while standing a few feet away from an elderly store attendant who must've been in his 70's. Apparently they had to call the police on her.

It’s exciting to read how well people are doing across the Nation.

Last edited:
Reactions: egelband

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
It's really disheartening to see states exploding like this. After watching the Northeast, you would have hoped lessons would have been learned. I really dont want to go back to that here - but I'm not sure it's avoidable as people just lost interest in caring and gave up.

But the attitude in leadership all across the country was to mock masks and thumb their nose at early states as if it was some sort of political issue they were above. This is just an amazingly stupid period in modern American history.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
So I got my haircut it was from an older gentleman. Somehow his mask was torn at the strap and half the time it was barely covering his mouth and half the time it was covering his chin. Oh well, at least I look fly. If I get Corona, at least I'll look good doing it!

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It's really disheartening to see states exploding like this. After watching the Northeast, you would have hoped lessons would have been learned. I really dont want to go back to that here - but I'm not sure it's avoidable as people just lost interest in caring and gave up.

But the attitude in leadership all across the country was to mock masks and thumb their nose at early states as if it was some sort of political issue they were above. This is just an amazingly stupid period in modern American history.

Governor of Florida taking the pages out of the Jaws Mayor’s emergency book.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
several cities in florida are finally requiring masks in public spaces, but not state wide.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
several cities in florida are finally requiring masks in public spaces, but not state wide.

I’m supposed to head down end of July to see some friends and family but going to hold off till Sept. I mean if they take this seriously and start enforcing the precautions like masks, maybe by mid Aug will get their numbers back down to where they can “safely” conduct business to like a phase 2/3 NY type re-open. But they are not taking the precautions and mandates like NY, NJ, and CT did. It’s also the idiot college kids who just don’t care. The Median age of infection in some of these hot areas are under 30 yo, so yeah.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Need To put NY and NJ in a bubble now. Don’t want that shit coming back.

I agree......but I think people here are taking this a bit more seriously here. Parameters have been put into place to shut everything down again if certain thresholds are reached like in hospital capacity. We have tracking and tracing. But as long as other states aren't doing enough though there is always going to be a threat. The Governor of Florida IMO is a big problem.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I agree......but I think people here are taking this a bit more seriously here. Parameters have been put into place to shut everything down again if certain thresholds are reached like in hospital capacity. We have tracking and tracing. But as long as other states aren't doing enough though there is always going to be a threat. The Governor of Florida IMO is a big problem.

You mean this guy...

7B06DA92-D7AD-4F51-BBB9-8F6DF34B75B4.jpeg

egelband

Sep 6, 2008

FWIW, I'm in western PA not NY. Our county went "green" three weeks ago and there's already an uptick in cases amongst 20-30 year olds as of this morning. People just couldn't wait to get back to the bars. I drove by a local bar-heavy area on Saturday night and it was swamped with younger people, very few of whom were wearing masks.
That’s a shame. If only because there’s no reason to give the guy at the door a hard time. Even if the policy is bad, it’s not like the kid stuck on the door can do anything. I see a bit of that where I live too, but it’s I guess more passive aggressive. Neither is good and neither is right, regardless.
Personally I think it’s reasonable to ask people to wear a mask when in close quarters. Though I don’t like the idea of someone being subject to arrest for not complying. It’s a tough one to reckon. I wish people could just have manners.

Reactions: Barnaby

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
That’s a shame. If only because there’s no reason to give the guy at the door a hard time. Even if the policy is bad, it’s not like the kid stuck on the door can do anything. I see a bit of that where I live too, but it’s I guess more passive aggressive. Neither is good and neither is right, regardless.
Personally I think it’s reasonable to ask people to wear a mask when in close quarters. Though I don’t like the idea of someone being subject to arrest for not complying. It’s a tough one to reckon. I wish people could just have manners.

I try to be open minded and see where people are coming from, but I admittedly have a really hard time wrapping my head around refusing to wear a mask. If you don't care about your own health, fine, but it's pretty much the bare minimum you can do in order to protect your neighbor. If we can't handle a mild inconvenience in order to protect human life, I can't help but lose a lot of faith in the future of our society.

Then again, we live in a world where we need to penalize people so they'll actually wear a seat belt. So maybe people just don't care about their own lives and therefore think it's too much to be asked to care about someone else's.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I try to be open minded and see where people are coming from, but I admittedly have a really hard time wrapping my head around refusing to wear a mask. If you don't care about your own health, fine, but it's pretty much the bare minimum you can do in order to protect your neighbor. If we can't handle a mild inconvenience in order to protect human life, I can't help but lose a lot of faith in the future of our society.

Then again, we live in a world where we need to penalize people so they'll actually wear a seat belt. So maybe people just don't care about their own lives and therefore think it's too much to be asked to care about someone else's.

My friend refuses to wear a seatbelt. He would sit there and go through the whole process of the car beeping nonstop and not put it on. Every time I tell him be tells me to shut up. His GF told him at first and then next time I heard her say it he said: "I told you not to tell me this". It's absolutely mind-boggling. Add to that he has a 2-year-old son.

As far as masks go, there was a brief period of time I didn't wear mine because the mask I had didn't fit, it kept sliding off my face. It was like a week and I'd really only be outside and would walk around people. But then I heard others urge me to wear it and now I always wear it.

There are certain cases like with a friend of mine where I can understand people not wearing masks. She has asthma and also she's a domestic violence victim where she was violently choked by her ex-husband. She said constraining herself in that way gives her PTSD. But most people are like my neighbor who "got sick of wearing it".

egelband

Sep 6, 2008

Here’s my thing. I have gone out and forgotten to wear a mask. I run back upstairs and get it, but if I didn’t, say, and I pop into a store, social distance, pull my shirt over my mouth, keep my head down, hurry up with my shop and get back home, I think that’s pretty reasonable. And I shouldn’t get bothered by the authorities. I would rather the line were drawn at ‘unsafe’ behavior. Same with driving, I don’t think someone should get pulled over simply for going over the speed limit on an empty road at midday.
I know...I know...it’s not so cut-and-dried. I’m just talking ‘perfect world’.

tbassler

Jul 22, 2009
you sheep and your mask fetishes.

masks don't work.

Masks Don’t Work: A Review of Science Relevant to COVID-19 Social Policy

cases are going up, but fatalities are going don. The states that stayed open have a 75% lower death rate than the states that locked down.

It has become a silly symbol like wearing a ribbon for peace.

Coronavirus Cases Are Climbing Again. So What?

Its easy to stand on top of a hill and beat your chest and scream. It is little harder to educate yourself and listen to other ideas.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

masks don't work.

cases are going up, but fatalities are going don. The states that stayed open have a 75% lower death rate than the states that locked down.

Its easy to stand on top of a hill and beat your chest and scream. It is little harder to educate yourself and listen to other ideas.

You take your 5000+ and increasing cases every day in Florida and I'll take our 581 (yesterday) cases and decreasing in New York and we'll see where we are in a couple months

Last edited:

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006

masks don't work.

None of those studies have anything to do specifically with Covid 19. Here are some for you, if you are truly concerned with being informed and not being a "sheep"

https://www.healthaffairs.org/doi/10.1377/hlthaff.2020.00818

Face masks critical in preventing spread of COVID-19: Study found that wearing a face mask stopped person-to-person spread of the virus

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31142-9/fulltext

And even if all of these turn out to be wrong, you lose nothing by wearing a mask other than helping get everyone more on board with opening up. If you were truly concerned about the economy, this is such a small measure you can take to help regain consumer confidence.

You not wearing the mask just means you aren't willing to do the BARE MINIMUM to potentially help fellow Americans stay healthy.

Reactions: McSauer

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The United States broke its single day new coronavirus case record yesterday by more than 9000 cases. Yesterday there were more than 45,500 new cases reported. The previous record was from April 26. This is all going on as cases in the Northeast are on the decline. As I said New York had 581 new cases yesterday. It's gone to other parts of the country--particularly to the South...areas that have not mandated masks or social distancing--have not ramped up tracking and tracing or implemented any other measures to contain spread.

U.S. hits highest single day of new coronavirus cases with more than 45,500, breaking April record

The Republican National Convention is now to be held in Jacksonville Fla. at the end of August. The POTUS wants to jampack that venue--no masks, distancing, no nothing. Republican delegations to that event should be wary because if that goes according to the POTUS's wishes that has the potential to hit them like an atomic bomb.

Last edited:

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Somehow I should have known masks would become a political issue. Other than the event that shall not be named, this "it's muh God-given right to infect whomever I want, this is 'Merica!" is pretty clearly skewed towards one area politically.

Reactions: eco's bones

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
So even with Phase 4, Gyms, movie theaters , and indoor malls will not be able to open. Stick a nail in the coffin of these industries. Governor just killed them.

https://nypost.com/2020/06/24/heres-what-will-not-reopen-in-new-yorks-phase-four/

it kills those industries and a number of gyms have already filed for bankruptcy (mine closed) and I wish i could go to the gym...but they are also petri dishes of germs. it sucks for the small gym owners but it make sense that they would wait, its probably the least space place to reopen.

I sympathize for the small gyms, but the huge gyms get an eye roll. their business model is to get people to join on new years and stop going 2 weeks later but then keep paying and then 2 months without getting paid they are going out of business.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad