Cornwall community kills Kings

SemireliableSource

Liter-a-cola
Sep 30, 2006
HSV
That's an incredibly dramatic title for a press release/announcement.

Then again, I guess they thought, "screw it! We're ceasing ops, why the hell not?"

JackalsKnuckles

Jun 18, 2007
Part of the problem is that the Colts and River Kings split the fan base and sponsor revenue. When I was there last December for a River Kings game there were maybe 300 people in the stands on a Saturday night teddy bear toss night. The Colts don't draw much either.

The Colts are advertising that the arena has a new video board this season (there was none at all before), but I wouldn't get my hopes up for a team in a higher league there anytime soon. The economy in Cornwall is just not strong at all.

Jackets Woodchuck

Dec 27, 2010
In term of the LNAH being a "goon show", what US league would be the equivalent in terms of level of goon-centricity?

JackalsKnuckles

Jun 18, 2007
In term of the LNAH being a "goon show", what US league would be the equivalent in terms of level of goon-centricity?

They've toned things down a bunch in the last 5 years but there are still 2-3 times as many fights as the SPHL (which has the most fights on any US pro league last season).

According to http://www.dropyourgloves.com/ :

The LNAH was at 2.56 fights/game last season and the SPHL at a little less than 1 per game.

Overall there is lots of skill, quite a few guys with AHL resumes, and some good talent.

The atmosphere is what is crazy though, lots of air horns, loud fans, lots of beer and very rowdy crowds.

It is also about the only league left where they drop the buckets and have a 30 second square off before fighting.

Enjoyed all my trips there, although there is the occasional game without a fight at all.

Last edited:

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Part of the problem is that the Colts and River Kings split the fan base and sponsor revenue. When I was there last December for a River Kings game there were maybe 300 people in the stands on a Saturday night teddy bear toss night. The Colts don't draw much either.

The Colts are advertising that the arena has a new video board this season (there was none at all before), but I wouldn't get my hopes up for a team in a higher league there anytime soon. The economy in Cornwall is just not strong at all.

In fact the economy in Cornwall is no worse then any other small- mid size city in fact unlike many smaller areas Cornwall is growing at a good clip.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
There is nothing like it in the US. It has been several years since I saw a game, but when we went it wasn't unusual to see multiple line brawls in the same game. One game we were at there was a massive fight and 8 guys from each side ended up in the penalty box. As soon as two guys would get out they would fight again the next shift and go right back in. The remaining skill players on each side were pretty gassed by the end of the game since they had like 5 forwards and 3 defensemen available for most the second and half the third period.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad