Recalled/Assigned: Cormier Recalled

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I have a bad feeling Petan is headed down the same road with Maurice. Hope I'm wrong.

Why would you think this? Petan is 19 yo and junior eligible. Other than a few of the most elite prospects he is in the league prospects his age play in. Using the Tatar example, he played is last full season in the AHL at 22 yo and made the jump to the NHL at 23 yo.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Wasn't the 30 games he played last season for the Jets a chance?

Guess you woulda buried Tatar as well since he was "terrible" in his first 30 games as well.

He was a bit unlucky getting injured in camp but realistically all he has to do is prove is he is a better option that Halischuk or Galiardi and he is on the NHL roster. Two players that I'd put in the same type of grouping as O'Dell. Guys that have bounced around and are eaking out a living at the bottom of the NHL food chain.

Really? Because Jets have proven so throughly that they value talent and are great at evaluating it "cough Peluso/Jones/Miettienen/Wright/Glass etc cough".

I see O'Dell as rather fortunate to toil in an organization with as little depth as the Jets as it keeps him in position to make the jump if is play warrants it. He would be buried much deeper in a stronger organization.

Oh yeah everyone has prospects they refuse to give chances to despite huge AHL success. Super common :shakehead: He'd be #1/#2 callup on every team if they were so stupid as to bury him in the first place.

Yes maybe he is not better than Dustin Jeffrey type. Could be but at least Jeffrey was given his chance.

And there is no way you will convince me O'Dell is in the same category as Tatar. I've seen them both play and it is not even close.

They are not the exact same type of players no doubt. Tatar makes more "impact" plays no doubt, although I'd argue O'Dell makes more "quality" plays. Whatever the point isn't that they are the same or O'Dell is at Tatar's level. That's not the question. The question is that Detroit proved their development model and gave Tatar his chance to shine. Meanwhile WPG marginalizes and discredits a player of similiar standing pre NHL. It shows the effectiveness of their respective development models.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Guess you woulda buried Tatar as well since he was "terrible" in his first 30 games as well.

Really? Because Jets have proven so throughly that they value talent and are great at evaluating it "cough Peluso/Jones/Miettienen/Wright/Glass etc cough".

Oh yeah everyone has prospects they refuse to give chances to despite huge AHL success. Super common :shakehead: He'd be #1/#2 callup on every team if they were so stupid as to bury him in the first place.

Yes maybe he is not better than Dustin Jeffrey type. Could be but at least Jeffrey was given his chance.

They are not the exact same type of players no doubt. Tatar makes more "impact" plays no doubt, although I'd argue O'Dell makes more "quality" plays. Whatever the point isn't that they are the same or O'Dell is at Tatar's level. That's not the question. The question is that Detroit proved their development model and gave Tatar his chance to shine. Meanwhile WPG marginalizes and discredits a player of similiar standing pre NHL. It shows the effectiveness of their respective development models.

I get it you love O'Dell. Sorry, but you can argue it as much as you want but o'Dell is no where near the player Tatar is. And if you believe the only difference is opportunity that's okay.

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
O'Dell must have had an affair with the wife of someone high up in TNSE... that's the only explanation of his treatment by the organization. Another Redmond in the making

Maybe he is simply over rated by the fans, Another Spencer Machacek.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Maybe he is simply over rated by the fans, Another Spencer Machacek.

Or underrated by the organization? But management has given us 3 years of missing the playoffs while giving big icetime to players like Jokinen, Setoguchi, Miettinen, Randy Jones, etc. So obviously, they can't be wrong... :sarcasm:

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Or underrated by the organization? But management has given us 3 years of missing the playoffs while giving big icetime to players like Jokinen, Setoguchi, Miettinen, Randy Jones, etc. So obviously, they can't be wrong... :sarcasm:

Yeah we would have been in the playoffs 3 straight years if we had played more players like O'Dell instead of Jokinen.

castle

Dec 2, 2011
Australia
I don't see how Redmond stays with the Jets. Him movign on was the best option. He's a righty. Bogosian, Trouba, Byfuglien, Postma... where does Redmond fit? Management put Postma ahead of Redmond. i have no quibbles with that. Redmond may turn out better... or not. Tough to fault the decision.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
mmm I thought it reset as soon as he was recalled and dressed for 1. Interesting, learned something new.

Nope, that's why players value actually goes up slightly once they clear waivers.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I don't see how Redmond stays with the Jets. Him movign on was the best option. He's a righty. Bogosian, Trouba, Byfuglien, Postma... where does Redmond fit? Management put Postma ahead of Redmond. i have no quibbles with that. Redmond may turn out better... or not. Tough to fault the decision.
The biggest factor with Redmond is that he didn't want to stay. He was a free agent. He walked. If not for his massive injury, he may have reached the games played threshold the would keep him an RFA -that didn't happen though.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
Why would you think this? Petan is 19 yo and junior eligible. Other than a few of the most elite prospects he is in the league prospects his age play in. Using the Tatar example, he played is last full season in the AHL at 22 yo and made the jump to the NHL at 23 yo.

I say it because of Maurice's frequently stated affection for big players (need to look no further than Thorburn). Ehlers is likely to make the roster, and that might be enough "small" players for Mo's taste.

I know Mo has said Petan will be an NHLer. What might have been unsaid is "...as soon as I'm no longer coaching the Jets" or "...once he's traded to another team."

Guess we'll see. I sure hope he makes it here and helps the team win.

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
I see that Cormier's been re-assigned to the Icecaps http://jets.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=743754 Do we start a new thread or continue this one?

It was pretty obvious that his callup was as a potential emergency replacement forward, if we lost another forward while Kane was suspended. With Kane coming off his suspension, Cormier goes to St John's, and I assume that Galiardi goes back to the pressbox, leaving us with 22 on the roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad