Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Eric O'Dell right now

frabz-I-DONT-Get-No-Respect-ae1d05.jpg

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
LOL. He must be thinking there's no future with the Jets by now. Would love to see him get a good chance. Just hope it's with the Jets one day.

Pretty sure he'll be a UFA after this season, so it better happen soon.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
Pretty sure he'll be a UFA after this season, so it better happen soon.

O'Dell needs 42 games in the NHL this year or he becomes UFA like Redmond. Doesn't look like he'll make that many at this point.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Probably going with what we saw in the third for the next few.

LLW

Perrault-Scheifele-Frolik

Lowry - Slater-Hali

Thor - Cormier - Peluso

Either way I would rather get O'Dell up and play him on the third.

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
I bet they're worried about O'dell getting claimed again if they re-waive him to send him down after this one game fill in.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
I bet they're worried about O'dell getting claimed again if they re-waive him to send him down after this one game fill in.

He needs 10 games or 30 days on the roster, not much of an issue really.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Probably going with what we saw in the third for the next few.

LLW

Perrault-Scheifele-Frolik

Lowry - Slater-Hali

Thor - Cormier - Peluso

Either way I would rather get O'Dell up and play him on the third.

Doubt Cormier plays a single game unless there's another injury.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Just rewarding an organizational soldier with some NHL cash and two games in the press box. He won't see the ice, so not worth getting fussed about.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Honestly I don't think they would blink over that. PMo has shown that he has no use for O'Dell or Galiardi. I don't know why but he has his reason. Neither of those guys has any future with the Jets. That has been made abundantly clear.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
O'Dell must have had an affair with the wife of someone high up in TNSE... that's the only explanation of his treatment by the organization. Another Redmond in the making

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
No problem with the Cromier call up. It is not like he will be playing. I don't get all the O'Dell love. He is a true tweener. He doesn't provide enough offense to make up for his lack of physical presence on the bottom of the roster. He is sitting at 14 points in the AHL. He isn't exactly making a strong case for himself.

He will likely get a few games at some point due to injuries, but can't see him getting the 42 required not to become a UFA. But does it really matter? Any team could have picked him up for free anyways. Either way it is unlikely any team will offer him more than a 2-way contract at the league minimum. Most teams already have better options waiting in the A for their chance as it is.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
No problem with the Cromier call up. It is not like he will be playing. I don't get all the O'Dell love. He is a true tweener. He doesn't provide enough offense to make up for his lack of physical presence on the bottom of the roster. He is sitting at 14 points in the AHL. He isn't exactly making a strong case for himself.

He will likely get a few games at some point due to injuries, but can't see him getting the 42 required not to become a UFA. But does it really matter? Any team could have picked him up for free anyways. Either way it is unlikely any team will offer him more than a 2-way contract at the league minimum. Most teams already have better options waiting in the A for their chance as it is.

He is a playmaker on the 2nd worst offensive team in the AHL. That's the counter argument? He has a proven track record.

I guess Tomas Tatar was a guy who didn't provide enough offense to make up for his lack of physical presence as well? Since O'Dell mirrors him almost exactly other than Detroit giving Tatar a chance in his 4th season.

This waiver argument is ridiculous. Danny Briere, Martin St. Louis and very recently Chris Kunitz all cleared waivers as well. Ignorance from GM to stuck in their ways is also not a good argument.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
He is a playmaker on the 2nd worst offensive team in the AHL. That's the counter argument? He has a proven track record.

I guess Tomas Tatar was a guy who didn't provide enough offense to make up for his lack of physical presence as well? Since O'Dell mirrors him almost exactly other than Detroit giving Tatar a chance in his 4th season.

This waiver argument is ridiculous. Danny Briere, Martin St. Louis and very recently Chris Kunitz all cleared waivers as well. Ignorance from GM to stuck in their ways is also not a good argument.

I know you are a fan of O'Dell, and I've seen you compare Tatar to O'Dell in the past. IMO they no where close to the same players. Last year Tatar got 39 points in 73 games with the Wings, while O'Dell got 7 points in 30 games with the Jets. This year Tatar has 20 points in the NHL while O'Dell has 14 in the AHL. They may have been similar at one point, but Tatar has developed into a solid NHLer while O'Dell hasn't. IMO the only thing they have in common is they are both 24 yo. If you are still trying to establish yourself in the minors in your mid 20's the odds are starting to get pretty long for you.

I bring up waivers because players can and do get picked up off them by teams. How many teams do you think would pick up Tatar if he was waived by the Wings?...29.

My guess is next off season we will see if the rest of the GM's are as "stuck" in their ways as Chevy as there is little doubt o'Dell will then be a UFA. If he then gets re-signed by the Jets to a similar 2-way deal is it okay to then call him a tweener?

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Last year Tatar got 39 points in 73 games with the Wings, while O'Dell got 7 points in 30 games with the Jets. This year Tatar has 20 points in the NHL while O'Dell has 14 in the AHL.

Um well if you compare in years pro after 3 years pro you have 30gp, 3g, 4a, 7pts vs 27gp 5g, 3a, 8pts. Not sounding so different now are they?

They may have been similar at one point, but Tatar has developed into a solid NHLer while O'Dell hasn't. IMO the only thing they have in common is they are both 24 yo.

Well other that similiar track records leading up to NHL. Big difference is one was shown faith by NHL club other was not. That's the only difference between "developing in NHLer" and not.

If you are still trying to establish yourself in the minors in your mid 20's the odds are starting to get pretty long for you.

Agreed. But is on the players or the lack of vision by NHL GM's?

I bring up waivers because players can and do get picked up off them by teams. How many teams do you think would pick up Tatar if he was waived by the Wings?...29.

Now yes. Two years ago? Probably nobody. NHL teams are notoriously fearful of risk. If he's not a top pick or not a known name they avoid them like the plague. Big difference is one has been given the chance to succeed at NHL level, other has not.

My guess is next off season we will see if the rest of the GM's are as "stuck" in their ways as Chevy as there is little doubt o'Dell will then be a UFA. If he then gets re-signed by the Jets to a similar 2-way deal is it okay to then call him a tweener?

Faulty logic. All nobody going out to get O'Dell proves is that many GM's like Chevy ARE stuck in their ways. Don't want to give chances to players who have earned it in favour of name value (ex-first rounders or name players) or "character" guys who can't play hockey.

If O'Dell was given a chance and failed fine. It's the denial of the chance that drives me nuts.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Um well if you compare in years pro after 3 years pro you have 30gp, 3g, 4a, 7pts vs 27gp 5g, 3a, 8pts. Not sounding so different now are they?

Well other that similiar track records leading up to NHL. Big difference is one was shown faith by NHL club other was not. That's the only difference between "developing in NHLer" and not.

Agreed. But is on the players or the lack of vision by NHL GM's?

Now yes. Two years ago? Probably nobody. NHL teams are notoriously fearful of risk. If he's not a top pick or not a known name they avoid them like the plague. Big difference is one has been given the chance to succeed at NHL level, other has not.

Faulty logic. All nobody going out to get O'Dell proves is that many GM's like Chevy ARE stuck in their ways. Don't want to give chances to players who have earned it in favour of name value (ex-first rounders or name players) or "character" guys who can't play hockey.

If O'Dell was given a chance and failed fine. It's the denial of the chance that drives me nuts.

Wasn't the 30 games he played last season for the Jets a chance? He was a bit unlucky getting injured in camp but realistically all he has to do is prove is he is a better option that Halischuk or Galiardi and he is on the NHL roster. Two players that I'd put in the same type of grouping as O'Dell. Guys that have bounced around and are eaking out a living at the bottom of the NHL food chain. I see O'Dell as rather fortunate to toil in an organization with as little depth as the Jets as it keeps him in position to make the jump if is play warrants it. He would be buried much deeper in a stronger organization.

And there is no way you will convince me O'Dell is in the same category as Tatar. I've seen them both play and it is not even close.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad