Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil

Tier 1: Celebrini
Tier 2: Silayev, Dickinson, Yakemchuk, Levshunov
Tier 3: Catton, Demidov, Lindstrom
Tier 4: Parekh, Buium, Helenius, Jiricek, Eiserman
Tier 5: Iginla and MBN are in there
Tier 6: Rest of the list with Greentree, Connelly, Boisvert and Kiviharju being some of the names

Compared to his last rankings, Lindstrom goes from tier 2 to tier 3 as the mystery and silence continues around his injury and Dickinson goes from tier 3 to tier 2.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
I dunno if I am buying all of these incremental Eiserman drops but whatever.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
I dunno if I am buying all of these incremental Eiserman drops but whatever.
Aside from lack of size, the greatest concern with Caufield was that he was a one-trick pony. He hasn't let goal struggles this year slow him down and he's developing a very solid play making ability. Caufield will never be able to battle in the corners, but he's working on getting in there, underneath bigger players, and stealing pucks.

With the right teacher, I have faith that Eiserman can develop the other parts of his game. He's committed to a great program at BU, where I expect he'd play a year. I'd have no qualms about Montreal taking him, and feel good about MSL being the right teacher at the pro level.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Aside from lack of size, the greatest concern with Caufield was that he was a one-trick pony. He hasn't let goal struggles this year slow him down and he's developing a very solid play making ability. Caufield will never be able to battle in the corners, but he's working on getting in there, underneath bigger players, and stealing pucks.

With the right teacher, I have faith that Eiserman can develop the other parts of his game. He's committed to a great program at BU, where I expect he'd play a year. I'd have no qualms about Montreal taking him, and feel good about MSL being the right teacher at the pro level.
Pronman had Caufield top 4 in that draft pretty sure

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
That's when he liked little guys. Now he's on a big guy kick.

He's gone very vanilla on this list, with the exception of Eiserman. I don't mind it. Surprised that Parascak didn't make into the 1st round. He will likely put up 100 points this year in the WHL.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I find the top half of his rankings a lot better than the second half. Seems like everyone agrees on who the best players in this draft are and then there’s a huge variance in opinion for the second half of the first round.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

austin63867

Nov 13, 2018
How does he have Silayev as having "below average" puck skills but also has the puck moving ability to be a future #1 defenseman?

Reactions: paulmm3

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
I like Silayev but i’ve watched him almost every game this year and i don’t really get why he’s in tier 2. I mean, yes i understand the size, the potential of a bigger dman like him but he doesn’t have any elite traits other than the size and skating.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
Not sure why Lindstrom being injured would really drop your evaluation of him as a scout unless you assume it's an injury that will prohibit his further growth.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Not sure why Lindstrom being injured would really drop your evaluation of him as a scout unless you assume it's an injury that will prohibit his further growth.
Agree. The number of games he played is enough to make a pretty good idea of him.

I’d assume we’ll see him in the playoffs or U18

Reactions: David Suzuki

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
I like Silayev but i’ve watched him almost every game this year and i don’t really get why he’s in tier 2. I mean, yes i understand the size, the potential of a bigger dman like him but he doesn’t have any elite traits other than the size and skating.
That's what makes this such an interesting draft. If Levshunov doesn't pan out is he like a Ristolainen defender? Does Dickinson have a high enough upside? Other than Celebrini everyone has something holding them back. In Silayev's case, yes it's the puck skills...but even if those don't improve he's going to be one of the toughest defenders to play against given his reach/hitting/skating combo. So with that said, (keep in mind I'm a big Levshunov fan)...for all those GMs who think Levshunov can improve his decision making, those GMs will also bank on Silayev improving his puck skills.

Obviously there's a ton of risk at 2nd overall, but that's what's going to make this top 5 very interesting. The teams drafting 5-10 have it a little bit easier, because they get to take who falls, but whoever loses the lottery out of CHI, SJS, ANA, or CBJ have a lot to lose if they mess up their pick.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
That's what makes this such an interesting draft. If Levshunov doesn't pan out is he like a Ristolainen defender? Does Dickinson have a high enough upside? Other than Celebrini everyone has something holding them back. In Silayev's case, yes it's the puck skills...but even if those don't improve he's going to be one of the toughest defenders to play against given his reach/hitting/skating combo. So with that said, (keep in mind I'm a big Levshunov fan)...for all those GMs who think Levshunov can improve his decision making, those GMs will also bank on Silayev improving his puck skills.

Obviously there's a ton of risk at 2nd overall, but that's what's going to make this top 5 very interesting. The teams drafting 5-10 have it a little bit easier, because they get to take who falls, but whoever loses the lottery out of CHI, SJS, ANA, or CBJ have a lot to lose if they mess up their pick.
I agree, it’s gonna be very interesting.

I can’t say who out of all of the defensemen gonna be the best, it can be Parekh for all we know because at least he has his elite offense and a good enough brain to learn the defensive side.

Reactions: Blueston

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

5th actually, after Hughes, Kakko, Turcotte and Byram.

Worth noting there's about a 40% chance none of those teams draft first, even if they finish bottom 4.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

BerthMania

Jun 3, 2022
Montréal
How does he have Silayev as having "below average" puck skills but also has the puck moving ability to be a future #1 defenseman?
Someone made the same point in the comments and Pronman said it was a mistake and he will correct it

In my view, the fact that we have a small sample of games makes us less sure about his capacity to reproduces the success he had early this season.

Reactions: viceroy

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Worth noting there's about a 40% chance none of those teams draft first, even if they finish bottom 4.
Yeah but they will be the teams drafting 3-5 unless there's a huge change in the standings to end the season. My point was picks 2-5 could end up looking really bad in a few years because of how open this draft is, so it's gonna be difficult for the teams in that range.

Reactions: coooldude

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Tier 1: Celebrini (NCAA)
Tier 2: Silayev (KHL), Dickinson (OHL), Yakemchuk (WHL), Levshunov (NCAA)
Tier 3: Catton (WHL), Demidov (MHL), Lindstrom (WHL)
Tier 4: Parekh (OHL), Buium (NCAA), Helenius (Liiga), Jiricek (Extrliga), Eiserman (USNDTP)

One of the things that makes scouting trickier these days, players are really scattered all over. Compare this to the 1987 Draft where the first 18 picks, and 20/21 first rounders were in the QMJHL, OHL or WHL.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
One of the things that makes scouting trickier these days, players are really scattered all over. Compare this to the 1987 Draft where the first 18 picks, and 20/21 first rounders were in the QMJHL, OHL or WHL.

They were already scattered all over in 1987, scouts just didn't watch the ones that lived far away.

Did they have onhockey.tv back then? I'll be flipping between WHL games later.

Heck I can't imagine scouting without the CHL tv package. You'd spend most of your time in the car and in diners.

Reactions: Aashir Mallik

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Most of the scouts had him as a top 4 talent, but knocked him out of the top 10 because of his lack of size.

A lot of scouts get enamored by the late risers. Intentionally or not, they become jaded/bored by people they've seen a lot of. It's "new toy excitement". Sometimes it's warranted, other times ...

Eiserman may not have built on his first Dev team season, but the whole team is producing less. Last year's team was stacked.

Last edited:

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Most of the scouts had him as a top 4 talent, but knocked him out of the top 10 because of his lack of size.

A lot of scouts get enamored by the late risers. Intentionally or not, they become jaded/bored by people they've seen a lot of. It's "new toy excitement". Sometimes it's warranted, other times ...

Eiserman may not have built on his first Dev team season, but the whole team is producing less. Last year's team was stacked.
Idk I might compare eiserman fall to a guy like Raty

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
I see 2-10 pretty much all in the same tier, despite my own preferences. We have a good idea who will be in that group but it really could go in any order.

My biggest disagreement with Pronman is Yakemchuk being amongst that group.

Reactions: Blueston

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad