Corey Perry

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleublancrouge

Oct 1, 2004
Up north
What's up with this guy? He puts up unreal numbers in the OHL, he's 6'3'', and no one seems to be high on him. Does anyone ever seen him play? His he a good skater? What's the major problem with him? His he a kind of Taylor Pyatt or what?

Corey Perry 19 games; 16 goals + 28 assists = 44 points

Thanks!

Vic Rattlehead*

bleublancrouge said:
What's up with this guy? He puts up unreal numbers in the OHL, he's 6'3'', and no one seems to be high on him. Does anyone ever seen him play? His he a good skater? What's the major problem with him? His he a kind of Taylor Pyatt or what?

Corey Perry 19 games; 16 goals + 28 assists = 44 points

Thanks!
He'll be better than Pyatt.

fedorov_jr

May 8, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
19bruins19 said:
He'll be better than Pyatt.

whats the point in responding if you're just going to throw an answer like that out there?

i was wondering the same thing about perry.... he's putting up numbers on par with crosby so far... why is that?

skill? linemates? ice time?

thanx

Vic Rattlehead*

fedorov_jr said:
whats the point in responding if you're just going to throw an answer like that out there?

i was wondering the same thing about perry.... he's putting up numbers on par with crosby so far... why is that?

thanx
Perry has the skill. He has very skilled teamates. I am not sure about ice time.

He is a tough player and can score. That's pretty much all I can say about him, as I have not watched that much of him.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
He's a late 1st rounder whos proving several people wrong and they don't want to admit it, that's why. Atleast partly.

He has good linemates but he's also defensively responsible (gets lots of PK time, unlike this certain guy Schremp), plays a lot more physical game than earlier, has shown leadership and even his skating is improved.

Basicly he has all the tools needed to be a successful NHLer, but he's not a early 1st rounder which automatically puts him out of the top prospect lists.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
The thing with Perry was that he never had the draft status many others did primarily because people viewed him as soft. He has grown since the draft, and the 'negatives' on him seem to be similar (mind you I personally have not seen him play in quite some time).

Perry likely will play in the NHL, and it appears many teams missed the boat on him in 2003. There are still questions as to whether or not he can hack it in the big leagues. We'll see. I didn't like him to start out, but it's obvious he's got skill coming out of his backside. Based purely on talent, he's clearly got top line upside.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
fedorov_jr said:

thanx

Well he is very skilled but is also two years older then Crosby and playing on a much better team then Crosby is. The Knights are probably the best CHL team right now and Perry has a lot of support for his numbers.

Now that isn't to take anything away from Perry, he is quite talented. I have heard the general consensus is he'll likely be a 2nd line winger. The biggest knock I have heard about him is he is reportedly soft and doesn't play well in high traffic, tight checking games.

But don't take my word as gospel, I have only seen him play twice

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Aside from the knock of being soft - which it seems Perry is at least partly answering - is his skating. It is not the type of skating you look for in a scoring line NHLer. Skating is also reportedly the main reason Perry didn't make the WJC team last year (He scored a ton of points last year too).

Whether it becomes his achilles heel, or whether he improves and turns into another Jason Allison remains to be seen. But Allison is probably the best comparison for Perry in terms of upside, although Allison was probably a bit tougher and stronger, and perhaps a tad more skilled. But a poor man's Allison is still a premier scoring forward in the NHL. He definitely has good upside and is generally regarded as a blue chip prospect.

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup
I've got season tickets to the Knights the past 2 years and have had the delight ofwatching him night in and night out (over 100 times the past 4 years). He has come along way the past 3 1/2 years. When he came into the O he was 6'3 and 170lbs .... after being drafted he went through a gruelling work out program w/ Mr. Spezzz....... (knights training cordinator) and now weighs 195 lbs.... so he isn't as soft as he once was. He's improved his skating ability the past 2 years as well.. Overall, he is one of the most offensively skilled players for his age in the world, whether that carries over to the NHL remains to be seen.

I have made many posts on Perry including one today comparing his stats to Crosby.

DLMDLM

Aug 24, 2004
London Ontario
Perry and his skills

I'm a season ticket holder of the Knights. I've only followed junior hockey for about 5 years so I wouldn't consider myself an expert but....

When Perry came in as a 17yr old he was about 160 lbs and couldn't stay on his feet for more then a couple seconds but has always had hands. Now at 200lbs he still spends more time on his butt then the rest of the team combined. That and the fact that he shirps without backing it up are the knocks on Perry. So even though he is the best scorer in the league he will never be the biggest fan favorite until he shuts up and stays on his feet.

That being said when he isn't down, even in thick traffic the puck doesn't leave him. He has an incredible ability to keep the puck in his feet as he moves to the net. He is a master behind the net on the wrap around and has a very good shot. He can know hold off an opponent along the boards and is fast enough to get away from them with the puck. He seems like he skates slow but he is never out of position and he seems to cruise like a shark, a bit like Brett Hull does. His biggest upside is his reach and vision/passing.

Him and Bolland had the puck in over time against Guelph for a minute without giving up the puck and getting more then a couple point blank shots.

As soon as I'm ready to write him off as being too childish and not strong enough...... He does something that only he can do and before I know it getting back on the Perry band wagon.

Of course this is on one mans opinion.

Kevin Forbes

Jul 29, 2002
Nova Scotia
www.kforbesy.ca
When he was in Anaheim for the rookie tournament, there were comparisons between his play down-low and that of recently departed Duck, Vaclav Prospal. His skating is NHL level, it's just merely not as up-to-par as his other offensive skills, another Prospal comparison. He's also a pesky sort of guy, doing little things to throw his opponents off their game or try to draw a penalty, a yapper. Since being drafted, he has worked hard to add strength and improve his skating, both with Anaheim's conditioning staff and those in London. I would agree with the 2nd line wnger upside, he continues to look like a shrewd pick.

Sammy*

forbesy said:
When he was in Anaheim for the rookie tournament, there were comparisons between his play down-low and that of recently departed Duck, Vaclav Prospal. His skating is NHL level, it's just merely not as up-to-par as his other offensive skills, another Prospal comparison. He's also a pesky sort of guy, doing little things to throw his opponents off their game or try to draw a penalty, a yapper. Since being drafted, he has worked hard to add strength and improve his skating, both with Anaheim's conditioning staff and those in London. I would agree with the 2nd line wnger upside, he continues to look like a shrewd pick.
From what I hear, his skating is not close to being NHL level. Prospal could circles around him.

BuppY

xGoodwillx
Dec 24, 2003
relatednews.net
Has all the talent, but skating is an issue, but is improving and is starting to use his size little more. He seems like a good player, He probably will go to the AHL next year to work on his skating and see how he adjusts to the pro game. If he can do well there then he will most likely succeed in the NHl as a offensive player. :D

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
I met him at the Pacific Division Rookie Tournament in September. I was surprised how skinny he is. He needs to keep hitting the gym everyday all day.

His grit and toughness are pretty good though considering he doesn't have Getzlaf type strength.

Skating is good enough in my opinion.

Skill level is very high. Creativity, passing, stick handling all good enough to be a top 6 forward in the NHL in 1-2 years.

He shows a lot of desire and I believe that will be the difference between him making it as a good second line winger and being a bust.

Ducks gave him his entry contract on lockout deadline day so I would think they are expecting big things out of him.

McDonald19

Sep 9, 2003
California
Sammy said:
From what I hear, his skating is not close to being NHL level. Prospal could circles around him.

no don't go that far. I've seen both Prospal and Perry in person and Prospal skating is so bad its funny. Perry will be a better skater don't worry.

FearTheFlyers

Feb 3, 2003
Visit site
The reason why Perry is putting up great numbers in the OHL is because of good stickhandling and a really nice shot. But I think he is a great OHL player, but I don't see his game translating to the NHL. He is a poor skater, mediocre passer, and has trouble receiving passes. Lots of his moves won't work on NHL d-men or goalies.

#1GuinFan

Apr 4, 2003
canada
Visit site
Don't let the PIM's trick you into thinking that Perry is tough. I'm from London and watch them regularily and Perry is far from tough. Most of if not all the penalities he takes are tripping or slashing penalties, and most of these occur in retaliation to another players actions against him. DUMB penalties.
In regards to his skill, there's no doubting its there. Personally I don't see much upside though. He's weak on his skates too, its as though every time someone so much as touches him he falls over, especially in the offensive zone. This is the primary thing that will hold him back from a successful pro career (not saying he won't be successful, just saying if he's not, then that is the reason.) He often try's a toe drag manoever to throw defendors off when he's approaching the net, the thing is he's so successful at it that he has himself on the ice everytime too. Once he gets to the AHL level, he will have to improve his balance or find some way to improve his center of gravity issue that has him lying on the ice every shift. Past that, his skating is above average and offensive game is quite obviously good. His numbers may be on par with Crosby, but there is NO comparison what so ever between the two.
I'm not to familiar with his D game, as London spends so little time in the defensive zone.

Personally, I was hoping he would drop to the Penguins second round pick that year, but now I'm glad he didn't. He's a good player, don't get me wrong, but I'd rather see him with another teams jersey on, as I don't see him making the NHL. I do hope he does though.

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
OneSpeedOnly said:
The reason why Perry is putting up great numbers in the OHL is because of good stickhandling and a really nice shot. But I think he is a great OHL player, but I don't see his game translating to the NHL. He is a poor skater, mediocre passer, and has trouble receiving passes. Lots of his moves won't work on NHL d-men or goalies.

He is a great passer, hence the 28 assists in 19 games.

FearTheFlyers

Feb 3, 2003
Visit site
trahans99 said:
He is a great passer, hence the 28 assists in 19 games.

He's not a great passer at all and I question his awareness, I think his assist totals are misleading because of the great team he plays on.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
OneSpeedOnly said:
He's not a great passer at all and I question his awareness, I think his assist totals are misleading because of the great team he plays on.

His passing and playmaking skills have always been great, first and foremost Corey Perry makes players around him better and always has since he broke into the OHL. His goalscoring prowess didn't hit full stride until last year, otherwise he'd have been a much higher pick in the draft.

Edit:Assist totals for Perry would be even higher if Rick Steadman could actually capitalize on some of the opportunities that Perry sets up for him, (1 goal for Steady and he plays on the top line) so far Dylan Hunter is doing a pretty good job of that this season.

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
OneSpeedOnly said:

Add another highlight reel goal and 4 assists. Oh wait I thought he wasn't a good passer. Well I think having 32 assists in 20 games indicates hes a good passer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad