Speculation: Corey Perry to Leafs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
You do realise posting his stats goes against your argument right? Other than last season, hes been productive every single year for over a decade. I'd gladly take him on a cheap deal vs some plug.

all i care about is last yr. hes not 20 hes 30+

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Well, 2015-16. But he did put up 19 in 2016-17 and 17 in 71 games in 2017-18 (on a Ducks team I wouldnt exactly refer to as an offensive powerhouse) so I'm not sure I would call 20 a huge leap on this team.

he needed nearly 18 minutes of ice in order to not score 20 goals those two seasons.

what role are you putting Perry in here, exactly? and for how much money?

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
he needed nearly 18 minutes of ice in order to not score 20 goals those two seasons.

what role are you putting Perry in here, exactly? and for how much money?
I'm not sure Perry is as done as people think he is. I could see him in either a 2-3rd line role making 2M on this team. So let's call it 16- 16.5 mins per game. With his most recent pace, that would put him around 15 goals on Anaheim assuming his sh% stays as low as it's been the last two seasons, which is below his norm.
I would assume he would get some play on the PP, and Toronto just happens to be a much more offensive team than the Ducks as well.
Again, I don't see 20 as a huge stretch based on all of the above.

member 300185

I'm not sure Perry is as done as people think he is. I could see him in either a 2-3rd line role making 2M on this team. So let's call it 16- 16.5 mins per game. With his most recent pace, that would put him around 15 goals on Anaheim assuming his sh% stays as low as it's been the last two seasons, which is below his norm.
I would assume he would get some play on the PP, and Toronto just happens to be a much more offensive team than the Ducks as well.
agreed

Reactions: The Apologist

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

He won't be scoring 15 goals from the 2nd PP unit with very limited TOI at ES.

We've seen time and time again how quickly this type of player falls of a cliff. Post knee surgery Perry is not cracking our top-9, count on it. If you're giving him 16:00 - 16:30 of ice time, which player are you taking TOI away from to give him that? He will not be anywhere near guys like Kapanan and Johnsson in overall effectiveness.

Not to mention he's a RW. Which one of our RW'ers do you honestly see him beating out for a spot? He's got zero experience on LW, so don't even go there.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
He won't be scoring 15 goals from the 2nd PP unit with very limited TOI at ES.

We've seen time and time again how quickly this type of player falls of a cliff. Post knee surgery Perry is not cracking our top-9, count on it. If you're giving him 16:00 - 16:30 of ice time, which player are you taking TOI away from to give him that? He will not be anywhere near guys like Kapanan and Johnsson in overall effectiveness.

Not to mention he's a RW. Which one of our RW'ers do you honestly see him beating out for a spot? He's got zero experience on LW, so don't even go there.

I'd be more than ok with....

Nylander / Matthews / Kapanen
Hyman / Tavares / Marner
Johnsson / Kadri / Perry
Mikheyev / Gauthier / Moore

Assuming Brown is traded for cap space. Johnsson and Mikheyev move up spot until Hyman is healthy and one of Bracco, Korshkov or Marchment draws in on the 4th line along with Moore and Gauthier.

I see no problem with that group and I think Perry could be a 35 point player on Kadri's wing. Their playstyles matchup really nicely, IMO. Connor Brown had 29 points playing that role last year and he's an offensive black hole at times. If Toronto could get Perry for Brown's money, or cheaper, I'd do it.

Before last year Perry scored 49 points in 71 games for the Ducks. The two years prior to that he had 53 points and and 62 points. If the Leafs medical staff believes they can get him 75% back to his pre knee injury form, he's worth a gamble on the cheap.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
all i care about is last yr. hes not 20 hes 30+

Last year seems to be an outlier for him. He was injured for a considerable period of time and understandably wasn't at his best when he came back.

I think he will have a bounce back type of season for whichever team rolls the dice on him. I hope it's us.

Reactions: kb

Leaf4Life

Feb 8, 2010
I can see Perry quickly becoming the next whipping boy after Babcock puts him out for 18+ min a game and he still can't score. He'd be the next Marleau.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Apparently Babs is huge in favour of this, and told Perry that he's got a spot on PP1. Zzzzzz.

Info coming from one of Perry's friends, but nothing close to a contract/confirmation of it happening yet.

Reactions: WizardOfNaz

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Apparently Babs is huge in favour of this, and told Perry that he's got a spot on PP1. Zzzzzz.

Info coming from one of Perry's friends, but nothing close to a contract/confirmation of it happening yet.

There were rumours that Babcock heavily stumped for the Marleau deal as well

Just another reason to tell him to piss off, coach the team and let the management team handle player acquisition

Reactions: Suntouchable13

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
There were rumours that Babcock heavily stumped for the Marleau deal as well

Just another reason to tell him to piss off, coach the team and let the management team handle player acquisition

I don't think Dubas is going to change his philosophy for Babcock, which is very important.

What I'm afraid of is that Perry actually would be a very good
(assuming) low-cost addition to this team to play in essentially the role Ennis did (beside Naz though to start), which might make him attractive to Dubas. The problem is the thought of Perry being stapled to one of JT/AM and used on the 1st PP over Will/Naz.

Reactions: Kiwi

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
I don't think Dubas is going to change his philosophy for Babcock, which is very important.

(assuming) low-cost addition to this team to play in essentially the role Ennis did, which might make him attractive to Dubas. The problem is the thought of Perry being stapled to one of JT/AM and used on the 1st PP over Will/Naz.

You know Babcock would overplay the **** out of him

The problem I see with Perry is I think a team will give him some term, maybe as much as 3 years in the 2M+ range and that's a no go for me

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario

There a link at all or somewhere I can find this? I've been hoping for Perry as a 3rd line wing and PP net front. Figured if we got him it's for Babs. It doesn't seem like a Dubas move. Dubas will likely throw Babs 1 bone though. Otherwise their relationship will fall apart soon enough. Babs already didn't seem happy come playoffs when he didn't have enough "greasy" players

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario

The problem I see with Perry is I think a team will give him some term, maybe as much as 3 years in the 2M+ range and that's a no go for me
Perry at 2 or less I'm fine with going 3yrs. He suddenly has a healthy year and throws up 25G/50pts (not unreasonable at all for him), we will kick ourselves for not getting another couple years of that. Due to his style of play he's likely to retire at 37 and live in London. 3 years would bring him right to retirement and assure him he can move home for good. If the number doesn't exceed 2, I pull that trigger all day long

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Perry at 2 or less I'm fine with going 3yrs. He suddenly has a healthy year and throws up 25G/50pts (not unreasonable at all for him), we will kick ourselves for not getting another couple years of that. Due to his style of play he's likely to retire at 37 and live in London. 3 years would bring him right to retirement and assure him he can move home for good. If the number doesn't exceed 2, I pull that trigger all day long

I'd be fine with this if Connor Brown goes overboard.

Reactions: WizardOfNaz

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON

Yeah, and thats when Dubas needs to step in and either wake him tf up, or fire him.

If he's not making in the 1's or less, it shouldn't even be a discussion. Guy needs to show he's not washed before getting a real contract again.

There a link at all or somewhere I can find this? I've been hoping for Perry as a 3rd line wing and PP net front. Figured if we got him it's for Babs. It doesn't seem like a Dubas move. Dubas will likely throw Babs 1 bone though. Otherwise their relationship will fall apart soon enough. Babs already didn't seem happy come playoffs when he didn't have enough "greasy" players

Nope. But one of my friends heard it from the mouth of one of Perry's best friends (who was reading a text chain with Perry between the two of them).

Yeah well it could be another 'savvy' move by Dubas assuming Babs plays him properly. He's still a decent player, and brings a bunch to the table, just nowhere near what he used to be.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

(assuming) low-cost addition to this team to play in essentially the role Ennis did (beside Naz though to start), which might make him attractive to Dubas. The problem is the thought of Perry being stapled to one of JT/AM and used on the 1st PP over Will/Naz.
:laugh: Yeah that would be horrible.

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario
Yeah, and thats when Dubas needs to step in and either wake him tf up, or fire him.

If he's not making in the 1's or less, it shouldn't even be a discussion. Guy needs to show he's not washed before getting a real contract again.

Nope. But one of my friends heard it from the mouth of one of Perry's best friends (who was reading a text chain with Perry between the two of them).

Yeah well it could be another 'savvy' move by Dubas assuming Babs plays him properly. He's still a decent player, and brings a bunch to the table, just nowhere near what he used to be.
Okay thanks. Wasn't suggesting you were lying by any means! Just hope there's some truth to that. Would love to see Perry on Kadri's RW with a motor like Moore/Johnsson on the LW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad