Player Discussion Corey Perry - The Enemy of my Enemy is my Friend

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Corey Perry thread? Corey Perry thread!

I think it’s worth discussing that he’s come as advertised.

3-2-5 in 9 GP
54 CF%
55 xG%
1 fight win.
Makes everyone on the other team mad.

These reclamation signings are working well for us.
Yah, that Connor Brown reclamation project is going along swimmingly.

But Perry has been as advertised.

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
A lot of players can learn things from Perry- one of the slowest players in the game at this point in his career, yet probably still one of the smartest players in the league in the offensive zone. Always knows where the puck is going to be, making little subtle plays to disrupt the other team, sublime stick positioning in both zones so that his skating isn't a hindrance. Such a good player even at his age.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Corey Perry is the undisputed master of the game within the game, something the Oilers were badly missing
This is spot on. :nod:
No other Oiler would identify that the Bruins are down to 5 dmen and the team needs a boost. So he picks a fight with a dman (takes the Bruins down to 4 dmen for 5 minutes) and then continues to hang around the net...irritating the goalie continuously until he scores.
If Perry wasnt on the team there is no way they get a point from last nights game.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
He should go to the HHOF just for that.

Yup, when fans talk about intangibles, this is the kind of player that really masters them. Difficult to quantify but a valuable aspect, especially for a player with talent like Perry. I feel like most Cup winners have at least one worm / rat agitator type player, and the better they can play is just a cherry on top.

Kane, Draisaitl have some elements of this that can bring the team into the game but what Perry does is IMO more effective at times, because he can do it without getting the book thrown at him unlike Kane (Kassian before him) and Leon at times.

No other Oiler would identify that the Bruins are down to 5 dmen and the team needs a boost. So he picks a fight with a dman (takes the Bruins down to 4 dmen for 5 minutes) and then continues to hang around the net...irritating the goalie continuously until he scores.
If Perry wasnt on the team there is no way they get a point from last nights game.

Absolutely. Coming back from a 4-1 deficit was sparked by his antics. Imagine that in a playoff game (but winning it in OT). Oh wait...we already know what that's like from the other side in that series vs the Ducks :laugh:

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
A lot of players can learn things from Perry- one of the slowest players in the game at this point in his career, yet probably still one of the smartest players in the league in the offensive zone. Always knows where the puck is going to be, making little subtle plays to disrupt the other team, sublime stick positioning in both zones so that his skating isn't a hindrance. Such a good player even at his age.
The trick when you are slow is you need to avoid needing to be fast.

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany

I think others would identify that, but Perry's definitely the only one to think "how do I make this worst for them?"

Reminds me a bit of Kostin last season, but so much more refined. It's the difference between a raging bull in a china shop that indiscriminately breaks everything, and someone that's deliberately trying to piss you off by breaking that one piece that you inherited from your recently deceased grandparents.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Also in recent history, the Kassian one went well until the end as well

That's the thing with reclamation projects. Take them on and you can have success, but if you commit long term on someone who fell out of favor before you can get burned. We're starting to see signs that it could happen with Kane now as well.

Reactions: Oilhawks

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Perry celebrated his goal as if he was in an away rink and was expecting boos. Might take him some time to adjust as well.

• Haha
Reactions: Oilers

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
It's really too bad we have to waste $3 million on Connor Brown's contract next year... could've used that towards re-signing Perry.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
I had a dream last night I was at a gas station in Davidson SK and I was looking at mini Oiler jersey keychains. All of the Perry ones had him as number 99.
What does it mean?‽

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad