Corey Crawford... no pub

Status
Not open for further replies.

spider-man

May 11, 2002
Visit site
Having been on the ice with him about two years ago, I remember Corey Crawford quite well. Not even knowing he was a QMJHL 1st rounder, his talent stood out right away.

What is being said about his speed is quite true, I remember thinking the same thing when he graduated from Midget AAA. It does strike me as curious that this is an aspect of his game that hasn't improved all that much. However, I always attributed this to a lack of strenght rather than a lack of speed. His pushes aren't as dynamic as they should be, something quite rare for a Francois Allaire goalie. But as Crawford gets older, he should be able to add more strenght to his legs, so I wouldn't worry about this too much, his technique being better than what Mathieu Garon's was at the same age.

I honestly believe that this is an aspect of his game that he hasn't worked on as hard as he should, for the simple reason that he's been "getting away with it". A number of talented goaltenders get away with things in Junior and are later forced to work on them in higher levels, much like Pascal LeClaire has been forced to add more technique to his game in the AHL.

fullmetalninja

Jan 11, 2003
Chicago
Loki

I think this may be the strangest string of threads I've seen on this board for some time.

How do any of us know how good Corey Crawford will be? He's 19 years old for christs sake. I asked why he doesn't get as much pub, on here, and elsewhere- when he is putting up better numbers than any tender in the QMJHL- and has been absolutely dominant in the playoffs.

I don't care what anyone says, 55/56 saves is a good night.... but as I in chicago don't get to see him game in, game out- I had hoped to get some input from people who see him more often. Okay?

Now would you please explain why you have some fetish of the supposed lack of depth at goaltender for the hawks? I mean- I know so many judges of talent took:

Andrew Raycroft
Tomas Vokoun
Mikka Kipprusoff
Dwayne Roloson

First round in their fantasy hockey draft, right? And I know there were SOOO many people talking about how they would be dominant...

Jocelyn Thibault was the next big thing. Jimmy Waite was the hawks future 'tender. Yet the unheralded guys like Belfour, and Hasek seemed to do okay..... NO?

Michael Leighton was up and down in the NHL. But He was far from horrible. He shut out Binghampton 3 games in a row a week and a half ago in the NHL. Craig Anderson has been great in the AHL, and a little shaky in the NHL(but with flashes of real solid play).

We also have:

Mike Ayers: Took his team to the NCAA frozen four championship
Adam Berkhoel: MVP of the NCAA frozen Four
Mike Brodeur: Put up stats in the WHL that were nearly as good as Crawford

not to mention long shots like Adam Munro- who didn't play awful in the NHL either.

SO please,

Tell me where you find your crystal ball, and how easily you can say that none of these kids will ever be #1 goaltenders...

-fullmetalninja

Loki_46

Apr 24, 2004
fullmetalninja said:
Loki

I think this may be the strangest string of threads I've seen on this board for some time.

How do any of us know how good Corey Crawford will be? He's 19 years old for christs sake. I asked why he doesn't get as much pub, on here, and elsewhere- when he is putting up better numbers than any tender in the QMJHL- and has been absolutely dominant in the playoffs.

I don't care what anyone says, 55/56 saves is a good night.... but as I in chicago don't get to see him game in, game out- I had hoped to get some input from people who see him more often. Okay?

Now would you please explain why you have some fetish of the supposed lack of depth at goaltender for the hawks? I mean- I know so many judges of talent took:

Andrew Raycroft
Tomas Vokoun
Mikka Kipprusoff
Dwayne Roloson

First round in their fantasy hockey draft, right? And I know there were SOOO many people talking about how they would be dominant...

Jocelyn Thibault was the next big thing. Jimmy Waite was the hawks future 'tender. Yet the unheralded guys like Belfour, and Hasek seemed to do okay..... NO?

Michael Leighton was up and down in the NHL. But He was far from horrible. He shut out Binghampton 3 games in a row a week and a half ago in the NHL. Craig Anderson has been great in the AHL, and a little shaky in the NHL(but with flashes of real solid play).

We also have:

Mike Ayers: Took his team to the NCAA frozen four championship
Adam Berkhoel: MVP of the NCAA frozen Four
Mike Brodeur: Put up stats in the WHL that were nearly as good as Crawford

not to mention long shots like Adam Munro- who didn't play awful in the NHL either.

SO please,

Tell me where you find your crystal ball, and how easily you can say that none of these kids will ever be #1 goaltenders...

-fullmetalninja

and how do you know that he is going to be the next great savior. all i asked was for an indebt unbiased opinion on the hawks prospects talent.the article i was mentioning was the one the Hockey Future wrote on the org eval which is on the main page. it mention the weakness as being that the goalies for the hawks have a similar problem and if they do develop may not be a future#1 nhl goalie.

scouts on the professional level always eval the players and that is how they rank them, based on their eval. fateful hawks fans have a tendency to be baised and can't be a fair judge of talent b/c of this home team bias.

again, all i asked was is the talent of the goalies out there, montoya and schwartz, better in talent PROJECTION from an unbias point of view than the prospects we already have.

and as you mention you wanted to get other posters opinion on crawford talent as i was doing. so why is it ok for you to do that and yet when i ask the same question i get this spew from you.

so please tell me why your point of view is the ONLY one i should listen too?

highstickingyerface

Mar 5, 2004
eastern canada
Obviously I haven't seen Crawford play for years but as a season ticket holder for the PEI Rocket I can assure you he stole virtually every game he played against us all season.. 8 regular season games and 6 playoff contests

His strength is of course size and positioning but he didn't seem that slow to me.. he made some absolutely unbelievable stops against us. He was definitely the goalie that impressed me most of all the tenders I saw this season.. Jason Churchill was 2nd.

Auld Cents 20

Apr 5, 2003
CANADA
Visit site
I like you FMN are a Blackhawks fanatic :help:

Im hopin this guy is the real deal also....looking forward (and hoping) to seeing the young defenders and our young goalies pan out into good hockey players....

Loki_46

Apr 24, 2004
the hawks really need a change of luck with some of there prospect goalies. i hope crawford is the one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad