Confirmed with Link: Copp + 6th to NYR for 1st + 2nd + barron +5th

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
You're probably right since there are not a lot of highly rated Dmen this and RHD especially are in demand.

But if one of them drops to 10, I would trade up to get him. I might even pay the price to move up further to get one of them.

Yeah I just have a hard time seeing it happen. Nemec is 4 on consolidated rankings and Jiricek is 6. Both have done nothing but climb all season. Going to come down to which teams will want to get a defencemen. There's even a good chance they go 3/4 to Arizona and Seattle. NJ could even elect to take one of them over the forwards.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Yeah doubt we can get one of the top 2 dmen, no interest in trading up unless they were there.

Will be good dmen available still later on. Keep the picks, get a Kasper or Geekie or someone like that around 14 if you can, maybe grab a dman with the second 1st. A true top 6 C prospect would be huuuge.

But god it would be tough if Nazar dropped to us. Could be a C but a bit smaller. Supremely talented.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
It is too bad that Winnipeg didn't add anymore clauses, like if the Rangers make it to the finals or win the cup, then the Jets get a 2023 1st rounder instead of 2nd.
The Rangers' response...

7crG.gif

• Haha
Reactions: macmaroon

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yeah doubt we can get one of the top 2 dmen, no interest in trading up unless they were there.

Will be good dmen available still later on. Keep the picks, get a Kasper or Geekie or someone like that around 14 if you can, maybe grab a dman with the second 1st. A true top 6 C prospect would be huuuge.

But god it would be tough if Nazar dropped to us. Could be a C but a bit smaller. Supremely talented.

There are quite a few very interesting C's & RD's who will still be available right through to our 2nd rd pick. Some higher ranked players will drop too.

Those top 2 RHD are the only ones I would trade up for and then only if the price was reasonable. I doubt they are available except for a big price.

Reactions: MardyBum

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
The response to his agent is pretty funny. :laugh:
Isn't his agent the same guy who forced the Jets to trade Trouba to the Rangers for less than market value? I'd say this trade worked in the Jets favour.

Watch this offseason Copp will get a chance to centre Panarin and Kane...that would be tough to turn down.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Jets should re-sign him :)
He would need to tell his agent to “kick rock” FOREVER for that to happen. We’d all love to see Copper back, but his agent is going to hold out for top dollar and probably 5+ years term

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Lol, I mean what is his agent actually supposed to do during that time anyhow. He can't talk to other teams about his client.
That's sweet that you think that. But even the NHL knows they cant stop people from talking. That's why they added the pre FA negotiation period. It wasn't much of a secret when you had contracts rolling in 2 minutes into free agency.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
That's sweet that you think that. But even the NHL knows they cant stop people from talking. That's why they added the pre FA negotiation period. It wasn't much of a secret when you had contracts rolling in 2 minutes into free agency.

Oh I'm sure a lot of illegal tampering happens in the lead up to FA but I doubt much happens down the stretch of the season as teams likely have no idea what their situations are until after playoffs.

Reactions: TS Quint

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Update on the trade:

2022-Mar-21 Traded from Winnipeg Jets with round 6 pick in the 2023 draft to New York Rangers for Morgan Barron, Brad Lambert, Elias Salomonsson and round 5 pick in the 2023 draft

This trade has BUST or JACKPOT written all over it. If Lambert develops into a top 6 forward, Salomonsson a top 4 dman. I honestly believe we MORE than won the deal as Copp will get his big pay day with Overhardt representing him and Winnipeg honestly underutilized him in my opinion.

NOT A BAD HAUL on the surface!

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Update on the trade:

2022-Mar-21 Traded from Winnipeg Jets with round 6 pick in the 2023 draft to New York Rangers for Morgan Barron, Brad Lambert, Elias Salomonsson and round 5 pick in the 2023 draft

This trade has BUST or JACKPOT written all over it. If Lambert develops into a top 6 forward, Salomonsson a top 4 dman. I honestly believe we MORE than won the deal as Copp will get his big pay day with Overhardt representing him and Winnipeg honestly underutilized him in my opinion.

Barron will be at least a useful player for the Jets, IMO, while Lambert has genuine star potential. I know nothing about Elias but he seems like a bonus.

Copp wasn’t signing here for what we could pay him. Barring the hindsight deal where Chevy signed him long-term years ago I think we’ll do fine.

TommyKillian

Dec 12, 2013
Barron will be at least a useful player for the Jets, IMO, while Lambert has genuine star potential. I know nothing about Elias but he seems like a bonus.

Copp wasn’t signing here for what we could pay him. Barring the hindsight deal where Chevy signed him long-term years ago I think we’ll do fine.
I really like Morgan Barron, and the fact Lambert fell to us makes this that much better. I think Barron spends at least a few years as an effective 3rd liner for us. He seems like a good leader too (based on his performance for the Moose in the playoffs). Who knows what Lambert becomes, but the skill is there.

Reactions: UFO and JetsUK

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016

Yep, Baron could easily carve out a career as a good bottom sixer for us.

Reactions: Upperdeckjet

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Update on the trade:

Yeah and then think about Dubois’s value as the return should be even better than this.

Reactions: Jetsetter

boydkc

Aug 2, 2015
Update on the trade:

In fact this may end up as one of the worst trades on the history of the NHL by the rangers. Lambert was so dynamic as an underage player at the world juniors I was praying that some way some how the jets could find a way to get him. Speed is the #1 component in the nhl and this guy has it…

Reactions: Guardian17

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad