Conway:Back to the cesspool for NHL :

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Bob DiCesare of the Buffalo News also makes a lot of good points in this article:

NHL must put fans first upon return

Does anyone else notice the mixed message sent when Boston Bruins owner Jeremy Jacobs laments the rampant growth in player salaries while his company, Buffalo-based Sportservice, charges $4.50 for a bag of HSBC Arena popcorn with a base cost of what, a quarter? Not that Sportservice is alone. Arena prices are exorbitant nationwide no matter who's the concessionaire. Apparently it's OK for the owners to rip off the fans, but not for the players to rip off the owners.

The bottom line is the NHL hasn't done anything to nurture fan loyalty. Had they been treating the fans right all along as is done in the Augusta National example DiCesare provides, they would have that big national TV contract by now and enough revenues to keep everyone happy.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Great article, he is essentially saying that Bettman and Goodenow have to be replaced, rather than continue to hash the same stuff out over and over again...Personally I think these guys have to go, or they can get in a room with no one else, both agree they need each other, strike a deal and don't look back...

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

Ted Saskin, the union senior director, opened the conclave by thanking the league for inviting the players back to the table, which seemed to catch NHL negotiators a bit by surprise since they felt it was the union's idea to meet.

Sounds like a suspect thing to say. Its almost as if Saskins wanted it on record....

mooseOAK*

Buffaloed said:
Bob DiCesare of the Buffalo News also makes a lot of good points in this article:

NHL must put fans first upon return

The bottom line is the NHL hasn't done anything to nurture fan loyalty. Had they been treating the fans right all along as is done in the Augusta National example DiCesare provides, they would have that big national TV contract by now and enough revenues to keep everyone happy.

If the fans don't want to pay for overpriced junk food, they don't have to buy it. However, judging by this guy's picture this seems to be a subject that is very close to his stomach.

There is a direct relationship between the costs to attend a hockey game and the amount that players are being paid.

Weary

Jul 1, 2003
mooseOAK said:
There is a direct relationship between the costs to attend a hockey game and the amount that players are being paid.
Even if Bettman were to get his 'linkage', that wouldn't be true. It's certainly not true now.

mooseOAK*

Weary said:
Even if Bettman were to get his 'linkage', that wouldn't be true. It's certainly not true now.
It is always true. The money to pay the players as salaries were spiraling had to come from somewhere and as ticket prices kept increasing teams in a lot of the markets saw attendance suffer because of it.

hockeyscribe22*

Not true (at least according to the Bruins)

"There is a direct relationship between the costs to attend a hockey game and the amount that players are being paid."

If that's true then why did the Bruins recently promise that even when they get thier cap, ticket prices will only be "froze", as opposed to reduced as they and so many teams promised when this lockout started?

Be careful before making such a bold statement, because if you look at the facts, ticket prices started rising well before players' salaries. They have a lot more to do with arena costs, concessions and generally owning a team.

YellHockey*

mooseOAK said:

Yes.

What fans are willing to fork over for NHL hockey results in how much NHL players make.

Although the converse is a fallacy that NHL ownership has attempted to subtly perpetuate to those with limited knowledge of economics.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
mooseOAK said:
If the fans don't want to pay for overpriced junk food, they don't have to buy it. However, judging by this guy's picture this seems to be a subject that is very close to his stomach.

Agreed. Jacobs isnt the only one overcharging for popcorn, beer, etc. It happens everywhere and it is because of the astronimical contracts players receive. I do hope the NHL, if it gets cost certainty, will give a little back to the fans.....if the fans are still there that is.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
hockeyscribe22 said:
"There is a direct relationship between the costs to attend a hockey game and the amount that players are being paid."

If that's true then why did the Bruins recently promise that even when they get thier cap, ticket prices will only be "froze", as opposed to reduced as they and so many teams promised when this lockout started?

Be careful before making such a bold statement, because if you look at the facts, ticket prices started rising well before players' salaries. They have a lot more to do with arena costs, concessions and generally owning a team.

Whats your source for this? Jacobs has said in several interviews he wants prices of tickets to go down. I have never read once that tickets will merely be frozen.

Poignant Discussion*

I tell it like it is
Jul 18, 2003
Gatineau, QC
Bruwinz37 said:
Agreed. Jacobs isnt the only one overcharging for popcorn, beer, etc. It happens everywhere and it is because of the astronimical contracts players receive. I do hope the NHL, if it gets cost certainty, will give a little back to the fans.....if the fans are still there that is.

?????????

Back in the early 80's a glass of pop at a Leafs game was $2.50 or more.
Back in the early 80's the Leafs team salary was about 2-3 million

The owners have always ripped off the fans in the concessions. No matter how much they paid the players.

If you think when the owners get their cap it will be anything more than a cash grab with NO relief to fans in established markets. You are joking yourselves.

Russian Fan

Feb 27, 2003
Visit site
Damn people are so naive, I can't believe it. Now owners are new ROBIN HOOD of hockey ? make me laugh as hell !

In Montreal I had my season ticket in 1999-2000 @ 65$ for one the best seats in town. Today the same seats are ..................114$ !!!!

Payroll didn't change that much back then from today !

Boston best ''owner'' made MILLIONS of Boston FANS & now they believe this guy is the saviour ? come on ! I can understand the hope that if the players are paid less, the tickets will be cheaper & the level playing field should be better but we're talking about a guy who consistently NEVER CARED about the BRUINS FANS, NEVER CARED about WINNING, he just put a team that looks like a bit competitive & put millions in his pockets.

Damn they even go to the arbitration room & slash Ray Bourque to pay him less even after what he did for this franchise. If at least the money they saved on Bourque was to get closer to be a CUP CONTENDER , I would have understand but that wasn't the case !

People forget the past so fast that it's just ugly. People are talking about 1994 like it was a clear WIN for the NHLPA. 10 years later we can say that but if INTERNET were what it is today, you would have seen that after the agreement, everyone in MEDIA circus & including the players thought the OWNERS were the CLEAR WINNER in this one. Everyone thought that the owners had everything in that CBA to get this hockey jump into the level of PRO SPORTS as a clear #3 in the U.S after the NFL & MLB.

X0ssbar

According to Doug MacLean in the Columbus Disptach, the Blue Jackets plan to drop ticket prices:

"One way Doug MacLean hopes to pay back Blue Jackets fans for their loyalty during the NHL lockout is reduced ticket prices when the team finally returns.

Without knowing what economic framework would be in place if and when a deal is consummated, the team’s president and general manager didn’t want to commit to any set amount. But he did say it wouldn’t be a "token" amount such as a dollar.

"I don’t want to get too specific," he said. "But a dollar isn’t what I had in mind. I would hope it would be something that would show we’re appreciative. We’ve tried to do that in everything we do. When the (Syracuse) Crunch was here, we gave all our season ticketholders free tickets. Not that that’s a big deal, but we wanted to do what we could for them. It won’t be a token thing. There’s no doubt about that."

MacLean said the Blue Jackets were seventh in the NHL last season in ticket revenue. "

*subscription site so I didn't post the link.

wazee

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Russian Fan said:
People forget the past so fast that it's just ugly. People are talking about 1994 like it was a clear WIN for the NHLPA. 10 years later we can say that but if INTERNET were what it is today, you would have seen that after the agreement, everyone in MEDIA circus & including the players thought the OWNERS were the CLEAR WINNER in this one. Everyone thought that the owners had everything in that CBA to get this hockey jump into the level of PRO SPORTS as a clear #3 in the U.S after the NFL & MLB.
The pro-PA people keep saying that 'everyone' thought the owner 'won' with the 1995 CBA. The only thing I can remember that could count as an owner 'win', was keeping the free agency age high.

If 'everybody' thought the owners won, they must have based that on something. Why did the media think the owners won?

This is a serious question. I have asked it several times, but no one has given me an answer yet and I haven't been able to find anything on line...

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
wazee said:
The pro-PA people keep saying that 'everyone' thought the owner 'won' with the 1995 CBA. The only thing I can remember that could count as an owner 'win', was keeping the free agency age high.

If 'everybody' thought the owners won, they must have based that on something. Why did the media think the owners won?

This is a serious question. I have asked it several times, but no one has given me an answer yet and I haven't been able to find anything on line...

Entry level salaries were greatly restricted .... until Jacobs wrote the Thornton deal and his bonus structure.

High UFA age.

Ability to walk away from an arbitration award .... only used twice

mooseOAK*

Russian Fan said:
Damn people are so naive, I can't believe it. Now owners are new ROBIN HOOD of hockey ? make me laugh as hell !

In Montreal I had my season ticket in 1999-2000 @ 65$ for one the best seats in town. Today the same seats are ..................114$ !!!!

Payroll didn't change that much back then from today !

Boston best ''owner'' made MILLIONS of Boston FANS & now they believe this guy is the saviour ? come on ! I can understand the hope that if the players are paid less, the tickets will be cheaper & the level playing field should be better but we're talking about a guy who consistently NEVER CARED about the BRUINS FANS, NEVER CARED about WINNING, he just put a team that looks like a bit competitive & put millions in his pockets.

Damn they even go to the arbitration room & slash Ray Bourque to pay him less even after what he did for this franchise. If at least the money they saved on Bourque was to get closer to be a CUP CONTENDER , I would have understand but that wasn't the case !

The Canadiens' payroll went up by 25% since 99-00 so that extra $9 million had to come from somewhere. That it came mostly from the people who could afford the most expensive tickets is no surprise.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
mooseOAK said:

The NFL has a linked salary cap, and their consessions are every bit as much as the NHL's. Fans at events are a captive audience. If they want something to eat or drink, there's only one place to get it. Its supply and demand at its most basic level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad