Convince me to switch.....

RickedEm

Apr 26, 2016
STL
I am 29, played goalie from age 6-20, and a Blues fan or the past 23 years. I just can't take it anymore. The decision making over here is driving me crazy and I told myself if they didn't make it out of the first round I was going to pick a new team. Of course they did but after this Elliott thing and bringing back Hitch for ANOTHER one year deal I think I am done. I have been kind of following the jets for awhile and honestly I think you guys will be a force in a couple years and I think it's something I want to watch. Obviously some things need to be changed (who doesn't). Also, who doens't like watching Buf annihilate people?

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I am 29, played goalie from age 6-20, and a Blues fan or the past 23 years. I just can't take it anymore. The decision making over here is driving me crazy and I told myself if they didn't make it out of the first round I was going to pick a new team. Of course they did but after this Elliott thing and bringing back Hitch for ANOTHER one year deal I think I am done. I have been kind of following the jets for awhile and honestly I think you guys will be a force in a couple years and I think it's something I want to watch. Obviously some things need to be changed (who doesn't). Also, who doens't like watching Buf annihilate people?

Nailed it :laugh:

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG

Don't switch.

I'm not a Jets fan because of Big Buff, or good drafting, or playoff success (definitely not the last one!). I'm a Jets fan because I'm from Winnipeg. My first ever NHL game was watching Gretzky vs Hawerchuk. I was there for the Funeral. I waited and wore Jets gear while the team was gone, and I was there for the return.

That's not to say you can only be a fan of a local team. I haven't lived in Winnipeg for over 15 years now. But that's my story, and my path to fandom.

Stick with the Blues. You could try following the Jets, or any other team, but it won't be the same.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
I don't know about these guys but I'm more than happy to welcome you into the fold. Next year might be a little rough but after that it's gonna be a lot of fun to watch.

antiqueslivers

Apr 16, 2015
welcome to the Winnipeg Jets loveboat. You will find comfortable respite here as you await the return of your blues.

BrianFromAIH

Long Time Lurker
Jun 16, 2012
Warren, OH, USA
If you actually want to switch I'll try and tell you why. I'm an "outsider" fan (living nowhere near Winnipeg) so it might be easier for me to.

This isn't a team based upon impatience, this is a long term deal we're talking about. One or two more seasons until a playoff berth. But once this young talent goes off, it's gonna be worth it.

You played goalie? Good news, the Jets have two, maybe three really exciting goalies to watch in the next few years. Hellebuyck is already starting to shine, Comrie just got his feet wet and 2016 6th rounder Berdin, could possibly be another steal.

You enjoy Buff smashing guys? Well buckle your seatbelt because his (sometimes) partner Jacob Trouba is learning from the best. When he isn't with Byfuglien, Trouba is still putting up good possession numbers with the worst defenseman in the NHL. Mark Stuart.

As for forwards? One of the best young cores and still growing with the NHL additions of NCAA Freshman of the Year, Kyle Connor and Finnish Ovechkin, Patrik Laine.

You'll beat the bandwagoners if you join in now to the Jets party.

If you love getting big free agents though you might wanna stay a Blues fan...

Deif

Sep 20, 2014
I don't know about these guys but I'm more than happy to welcome you into the fold. Next year might be a little rough but after that it's gonna be a lot of fun to watch.

Everyone would welcome him here if he sticks around but I wouldn't change the team I have been a fan of for 23 years just because I disagreed with a roster move.

I agree that he could always watch both teams.

RickedEm

Apr 26, 2016
STL
I just can't seem to keep supporting what is going on and what the future holds. I'll keep sleeping on it but there is something about the Jets that keeps drawing me in.

Beavski24

Aug 10, 2012
Calgary
Switch it is for the best I once long long ago was a leaf fan and they sucked so bad. they traded Gary Roberts and that was it for me swapped to Atlanta followed them through and watched them play the Rangers in the playoffs draft heater and kovy then the move to the jets. I watched every draft almost every game and can stand behind this team as it continues to build. You will not regret swapping unless you swapped to like edmonton lol sorry for spelling/ grammar I'm on my phone

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
When the Jets 1.0 left for Arizona I couldn't watch NHL hockey.

After school I moved to Calgary and when the Flames made their run in 2004 I started following them.

I was even a Flames season ticket holder for a while.

But, when the NHL returned to my hometown, I was a Jets fan again.

I dumped the Flames like Taylor Swift dumps her boyfriends!

You are more than welcome to join the Jets bandwagon but consider the title of this thread.

If we have to "convince" you to cheer for the Jets it means your heart is still with the Blues.

RickedEm

Apr 26, 2016
STL
When the Jets 1.0 left for Arizona I couldn't watch NHL hockey.

After school I moved to Calgary and when the Flames made their run in 2004 I started following them.

I was even a Flames season ticket holder for a while.

But, when the NHL returned to my hometown, I was a Jets fan again.

I dumped the Flames like Taylor Swift dumps her boyfriends!

You are more than welcome to join the Jets bandwagon but consider the title of this thread.

If we have to "convince" you to cheer for the Jets it means your heart is still with the Blues.

I mean it would be hard to switch but I have been thinking for awhile. Seems like the blues have been doing half assed hail marys for the last ten years and with not change in sight I would rather switch to a team that looks like it is doing it right and rebuilding the right way........ You must understand the flack I am getting from my friends though where some "convincing" might be needed haha

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
Thats silly. Just stay a Blues fan.

Why would you switch? Trust me, you get zero joy out of it once the initial intrigue has passed.

Don't switch.

I'm not a Jets fan because of Big Buff, or good drafting, or playoff success (definitely not the last one!). I'm a Jets fan because I'm from Winnipeg. My first ever NHL game was watching Gretzky vs Hawerchuk. I was there for the Funeral. I waited and wore Jets gear while the team was gone, and I was there for the return.

That's not to say you can only be a fan of a local team. I haven't lived in Winnipeg for over 15 years now. But that's my story, and my path to fandom.

Stick with the Blues. You could try following the Jets, or any other team, but it won't be the same.

Why in the world is anyone trying to discourage him from becoming a new Jets fan? Being a Jets fan is the expected norm, the default position, the natural state of being. Unless you're worried about increased competition for scarce tickets at the MTS Centre there's no reason to deny anyone the glorious illumination that shines upon all who chose to be Jets fans.

Jets fandom is not for the few but for the many and it is our duty to enlighten those who labour in the thralldom of paganism and superstition that is being a non-Jets fan. Of course we should focus our efforts on the greatest victims of said superstition (Leaf and Oilers fans) but we can extend our wisdom to our separated Blue Brethren.

I need a word that rhymes with 'sanctimonious'. Any suggestions? :naughty:

Go Jets Go!

m.

antiqueslivers

Apr 16, 2015
Why in the world is anyone trying to discourage him from becoming a new Jets fan? Being a Jets fan is the expected norm, the default position, the natural state of being. Unless you're worried about increased competition for scarce tickets at the MTS Centre there's no reason to deny anyone the glorious illumination that shines upon all who chose to be Jets fans.

Jets fandom is not for the few but for the many and it is our duty to enlighten those who labour in the thralldom of paganism and superstition that is being a non-Jets fan. Of course we should focus our efforts on the greatest victims of said superstition (Leaf and Oilers fans) but we can extend our wisdom to our separated Blue Brethren.

Go Jets Go!

m.

AMen Brother!:handclap:

WITNESS!!!

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB

"Parsimonious", a word which, if you're going to be a Jets fan and honorary Winnipegger, you'll become familiar with REAL quick. :D

But yeah, I'm all for welcoming new fans. And really, it's quite simple:

Can you "True North" during the Canadian national anthem?
Can you learn to hate the Oilers?
Can you learn to hate/mock the Leafs?

There's lots to get excited about with this team, so yeah, get in now and beat the bandwagoners.

thegr8one66

Mar 22, 2010
Winnipeg

Should you switch from a being a STL fan to being a WPG fan.....you bet your candyass you should switch! A blindfolded, sleeping, stuck-in-the-basement Stevie Wonder can see that the Jets are going to electrify this season!!

We have a collection of some heart-stompin', elbow dropin', not-afraid-to-sweat and not-afraid-to-bleed, ready to whoop some candyass - guaran-damn-teed - blue chippers that are ready to layeth the smacketh down all over the Western Conference jabroni's (despite our hermaphrodyte of a goaltender in Pavelec).

So without a shadow of a doubt, yes, you should become a WPG Jets fan! And don't give 3 quarts of rhinoceros piss what anyone else thinks!

RickedEm

Apr 26, 2016
STL
"Parsimonious", a word which, if you're going to be a Jets fan and honorary Winnipegger, you'll become familiar with REAL quick. :D

But yeah, I'm all for welcoming new fans. And really, it's quite simple:

Can you "True North" during the Canadian national anthem?
Can you learn to hate the Oilers?
Can you learn to hate/mock the Leafs?

There's lots to get excited about with this team, so yeah, get in now and beat the bandwagoners.

I could catch on haha
Already do
and obviously already do haha.

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Ignore the discouraging homers in this thread! (Sorry lads :p )

Fans have a million different reasons for supporting a team and if you feel like you wanna support the Jets then go for it! Being from Winnipeg and/or knowing the history of the team is definitely not a prerequisite. Have fun with the Jets and if you stick around, then great. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00