Consider Houston for AHL affiliate/AHL Location speculation.

uhlaw97

Jun 8, 2011
Katy, TX
Of course, the best thing would be for Houston to be the 32nd NHL city.

But in lieu of that, a new AHL franchise affiliated with the new Las Vegas team would be nice as well.

What say you?

Last edited:

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Of course, the best thing would be for Houston to get the 32nd NHL city.

But in lieu of that, a new AHL franchise affiliated with the new Las Vegas team would be nice as well.

What say you?

I'd prefer something in the Pacific area for call ups, but Houston isn't too bad.

Hopefully Houston gets into the game with the NHL, but there's a few issues there as far as the arena goes. Isn't there a new arena going up in one of the suburbs that could support an AHL team? I remember seeing something about that a while ago.

uhlaw97

Jun 8, 2011
Katy, TX
I'd prefer something in the Pacific area for call ups, but Houston isn't too bad.

Hopefully Houston gets into the game with the NHL, but there's a few issues there as far as the arena goes. Isn't there a new arena going up in one of the suburbs that could support an AHL team? I remember seeing something about that a while ago.

The issue has to do with a clause in the Toyota Center's contract that requires any NHL team that plays there to be owned by Les Alexander.

Given that Alexander hasn't shown any NHL interest in recent years, and ran off our former AHL team, for Houston to get a NHL franchise would require construction of a new NHL size venue in a suburb like The Woodlands. We long suffering Houston hockey fans fantasize about the possibility of a local billionaire like Tilman Fertitta leading the effort for something like that, but so far, nothing has materialized.

There has also been talk about the suburb of Pasadena, TX building a 6,000 seat arena for a possible AHL team.

If Las Vegas were to look Houston's way on that, then that might be one possible venue.

segelrj

Jun 22, 2016
Ohio via Las Vegas
Apparently, there are preliminary discussions with the AHL and the city of Pasadena (suburb of Houston) to bring a franchise to a new arena being constructed there, but I wasn't able to find a timetable for when the arena would be open <<LINK>>

I'd also prefer some place on the West Coast that has an airport that has nonstop service to McCarran and is less than two hours (flight time) away from Las Vegas. If Houston were to get a team, it HAS to be called the Aeros.

Murf

Apr 10, 2007
WESTSIDE(of Gilbert)
It's a difference of minutes, and depends a lot on mode of transportation. You will probably have one situation in 5 years where someone is needed 2 hours before game time. I only remember two in the 18 years I've been following the Coyotes, but I'm willing to be corrected if someone remembers more.

Hoodaha

Aug 8, 2014
I'd also prefer some place on the West Coast that has an airport that has nonstop service to McCarran and is less than two hours (flight time) away from Las Vegas

The place you're speaking of is Fresno. Direct flights to Vegas, near other AHL teams, and close by for Pacific division callups when Vegas is on the road.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I like the Las Vegas option the article discussed. Just keep it there.

I was just commenting on putting it in Summerlin on the AHL board.

I think Vegas can support both reasonably well. The AHL team likely wouldn't be in the top half of league attendance, but if the money of operating the team doesn't matter, go for it.

However, if the goal is to get a less expensive hockey option out there for the people of Las Vegas I think putting it on the far edge of town in Summerlin is a mistake. If it's going to be in the Valley, try to work something out with Boyd and get them in the Orleans. Even the Grand Garden might work. 215/Far Hills is just too far from Henderson and NLV for people to drive and Summerlin people can generally afford to pay NHL prices.

calvegas04

Jun 23, 2016
Las Vegas
However, if the goal is to get a less expensive hockey option out there for the people of Las Vegas I think putting it on the far edge of town in Summerlin is a mistake. If it's going to be in the Valley, try to work something out with Boyd and get them in the Orleans. Even the Grand Garden might work. 215/Far Hills is just too far from Henderson and NLV for people to drive and Summerlin people can generally afford to pay NHL prices.

The 215 and Far Hills would just be the practice facility and offices for the team wouldn't it? I doubt they would want to share that with a AHL team. Personally I don't think we should have them in Vegas. How about St. George Utah?

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
The 215 and Far Hills would just be the practice facility and offices for the team wouldn't it? I doubt they would want to share that with a AHL team. Personally I don't think we should have them in Vegas. How about St. George Utah?

The rumor going around is that they'd expand at least one of the rinks at the practice facility from a 2,000 person capacity to 5,000 (which still seems small for the AHL to me.) Either way, I don't like the idea. If they've got to be in Vegas, try to get them back in the Orleans.

I don't know that St. George has a facility that can put out a sheet. They only recently got their first ice skating rink. If we're going Utah, I think West Valley City is the way to go. People say the Grizzles might not want to move up to the AHL, but they pulled 7,000+ in the same facility with the IHL team versus 4-5K in the ECHL now so there's a history of supporting higher level hockey in WVC.

nobody important

the pessimist returns
Jul 12, 2015
a quiet suburb
I think having the AHL team in Winnipeg has worked out very well for both the Jets and the local fans. It's very affordable, making it family (budget) friendly. You see lots of kids at Moose games. They close off the upper bowl except for special games, leaving around 8800 seats. Really good size for the AHL. Even with an average size crowd, it doesn't look sparsely attended.

It's also more fun oriented. Man, I've heard some really "intense" people at Jets games. Nobody gets worked up at a Moose game, even if they're playing badly (the norm last year). One of the promotions they had last year was free pancakes at a local pancake restaurant if the Moose hit a selected goal target in the third period. There's nothing quite like 7000-8000 people chanting "We want pancakes!" :laugh:

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Orleans would be cool, if they are interested, but I suspect that they are not.

I agree, there's a reason they pulled the plug on the Wranglers. However, if it's not working out as expected maybe they'll come to the table.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Personally I don't like the idea of Vegas trying to support a second hockey team. I have faith in NHL support but an AHL team too may be too much to build a support base. I'd rather gave it in Fresno or Reno

Murf

Apr 10, 2007
WESTSIDE(of Gilbert)
AHL teams don't have much gate or media revenue to begin with, so I wouldn't expect the location to be chosen with profitability in mind. I would bet that any shortcomings for local support of an AHL team would be more than offset by the reduced costs of operating out of the same offices, practice facilities, etc. I haven't seen the designs for the practice facility, but I bet it could be made with suitable facilities to host the minor league team. Really, no one knows if Reno or Fresno or wherever would support the team any better than Vegas.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Maybe not profitability but it needs to stay afloat, no? What if the AHL team takes fans out of TMA seats after a while if people start looking for more affordable sporting events to attend?

I personally will have very little interest in attending AHL games here if we got one. If we never got an NHL team and only got an AHL team I might have been more interested.

Ginormousthumbs

Jul 7, 2013
West Side
No on an AHL team here. I know Reno had tried to obtain an ECHL franchise, but I believe not having an arena stalled those plans. I believe the license ran out. I've stopped following the E since the Wranglers were shut down.
Do all the AHL teams in California have affiliates?

Murf

Apr 10, 2007
WESTSIDE(of Gilbert)
The AHL is now organized such that they have one team for each pro team. 17 are owned by the NHL affiliate, 13 are not.

I don't have good data on this, but my understanding is that most, if not all, AHL teams lose money. For the NHL owned teams, it is a cost of doing business. For others, the teams do their best but struggle financially.

If it were my money going into an AHL team, I would be consolidating the expenses by blending facilities, salaries, expenses, etc. But if someone in Salt Lake City or Fresno is willing to take the risk for me, then sure, place the team anywhere. When I'm a billionaire and get the 32nd NHL team, I'll let you know how it works out. :D

Hoodaha

Aug 8, 2014
The AHL is now organized such that they have one team for each pro team. 17 are owned by the NHL affiliate, 13 are not.

I don't have good data on this, but my understanding is that most, if not all, AHL teams lose money. For the NHL owned teams, it is a cost of doing business. For others, the teams do their best but struggle financially.

If it were my money going into an AHL team, I would be consolidating the expenses by blending facilities, salaries, expenses, etc. But if someone in Salt Lake City or Fresno is willing to take the risk for me, then sure, place the team anywhere. When I'm a billionaire and get the 32nd NHL team, I'll let you know how it works out. :D

When you've spent 500 million, what's another 5-10 million for an AHL franchise? I think Fresno is the best option. I'm not sure Vegas can sustain another hockey team.

In the Pacific,
Bakersfield -Edmonton
San Diego-Anaheim
Ontario-LA
Stockton-Calgary
San Jose-San Jose
Tucson-Arizona
Texas (Austin)-Dallas
San Antonio-Colorado

All owned by the NHL Club but San Antonio

segelrj

Jun 22, 2016
Ohio via Las Vegas
When you've spent 500 million, what's another 5-10 million for an AHL franchise? I think Fresno is the best option. I'm not sure Vegas can sustain another hockey team.

In the Pacific,
Bakersfield -Edmonton
San Diego-Anaheim
Ontario-LA
Stockton-Calgary
San Jose-San Jose
Tucson-Arizona
Texas (Austin)-Dallas
San Antonio-Colorado

All owned by the NHL Club but San Antonio

And it's not like San Antonio is owned by some ordinary millionaire, they are owned outright by Spurs Sports & Entertainment.

EvGeno

Looks like a basketball player!
Jul 11, 2009
Phoenix via Pgh
Sorry if this is a dumb question and/or easily answered using Google (should give you an idea how lazy I am), but I was wondering where the players for the AHL team will come from? Is there an expansion draft for the AHL too...?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad