Rumor: Conroy to be next Sabres GM?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
How can you say that when you literally have zero knowledge of what happens behind the scenes?

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
How can you say that when you literally have zero knowledge of what happens behind the scenes?

He hasn't been in that position for very long. If I'm Buffalo, I'd try to bring in someone more experienced. They have many pieces in place, but the work left to be done is crucial if they're going to become a contender in the next few years.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Pegula stated he wanted someone experienced. Can't see them going with a rookie GM again unless they go with the Flames/Blue Jackets model, i.e. experienced PoHO (e.g. Lombardi?) to guide the GM (Conroy? Drury?)

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Pegula stated he wanted someone experienced. Can't see them going with a rookie GM again unless they go with the Flames/Blue Jackets model, i.e. experienced PoHO (e.g. Lombardi?) to guide the GM (Conroy? Drury?)
Which IIRC is the speculation. Experienced PoHO with a young GM. It seems to be the new model.

Also, was Lombardi the GM when Conroy played in LA?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
He hasn't been in that position for very long. If I'm Buffalo, I'd try to bring in someone more experienced. They have many pieces in place, but the work left to be done is crucial if they're going to become a contender in the next few years.
Inexperienced =/= bad though, if Conroy has better ideas than veteran guys, he would get the job and rightfully so. Also he's been in management for 6 years now, so it's not like he's completely green.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Lombardi was hired by the Kings in April 2006.

Conroy played in LA during the 05/06 and a little over half of the 06/07 season; so Lombardi actually traded him to Calgary.

Can't recall the last time the Flames had someone in management coveted by other organizations. Would stink to lose Conroy but it bodes well overall, assuming Burke and Treliving stay.

WeegarUnderwood

Fan of Intangibles
Jan 13, 2014
Vancouver, B.C
I think Craig is a solid option for the Sabres. I feel like he's been a good assistant GM, and is one of the top AGMs to GM candidates. It'd be sad to see him go but I'd want him to pursue what's best for him

Last edited:

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
About all any of us knows about his front office competence is that he gives a very good interview. As does Jay Feaster, by the way. ;)
I wouldn't be too happy as a Sabres fan to get another rookie GM to run the show now that they should be starting to turn the corner. But as a non-Sabres fan, meh. Best of luck to all involved, if there's even any truth to this rumor in the first place.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Love Conroy, but imho he wouldn't make a great GM. Guy is way too nice for that type of a position.

That said, if the Sabres offered him the position I would be happy for him and wish him the best of luck.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
I like Conroy and I view him as a superior Linden, but I don't think he's a guy you give total navigation duties. He's a guy whose best talents is unifying a strong team around him and being a catalyst in bringing out the best in his management team. His strong interviews and his easy going attitude probably aids greatly in player development.

He's a great figure head standing in front of strong hockey minds, but if he's required to be the guy for trades and contract negotiations, I don't think it will end well. He is however IMO a guy great for nurturing talent. I don't think he's there yet for heavy GM lifting duties, but he won't get there without experience. A guy like Lombardi as POHO above him to work on teaching him contracts and trades in Buffalo and I think they'd be a strong tandem.

However, I also think Conroy to Buffalo would be great for Conroy and our org. Not because he's leaving, but because we'd have a strong ally out East. Oddly enough, I'd consider trying to pry Sean Burke to replace Conroy if Maloney doesn't replace his role.

A friend in a GM position elsewhere can only benefit us IMO.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
I like Conroy and I view him as a superior Linden, but I don't think he's a guy you give total navigation duties. He's a guy whose best talents is unifying a strong team around him and being a catalyst in bringing out the best in his management team. His strong interviews and his easy going attitude probably aids greatly in player development.

He's a great figure head standing in front of strong hockey minds, but if he's required to be the guy for trades and contract negotiations, I don't think it will end well. He is however IMO a guy great for nurturing talent. I don't think he's there yet for heavy GM lifting duties, but he won't get there without experience. A guy like Lombardi as POHO above him to work on teaching him contracts and trades in Buffalo and I think they'd be a strong tandem.

However, I also think Conroy to Buffalo would be great for Conroy and our org. Not because he's leaving, but because we'd have a strong ally out East. Oddly enough, I'd consider trying to pry Sean Burke to replace Conroy if Maloney doesn't replace his role.

A friend in a GM position elsewhere can only benefit us IMO.

I would laugh pretty hard if Tre was our GM and Maloney was our AGM.

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Love Conroy, but imho he wouldn't make a great GM. Guy is way too nice for that type of a position.

Maybe he's a psycho behind closed doors.

IlxMb01.gif

I'd be pretty bummed if we lost him just cause he's such a great guy to have around the organization, but do we even know what he's done in the AGM role?

May 27, 2012
Earth
Maybe he's a psycho behind closed doors.

IlxMb01.gif

I'd be pretty bummed if we lost him just cause he's such a great guy to have around the organization, but do we even know what he's done in the AGM role?

I'm pretty sure he's GM of Stockton too. Could be wrong, but I thought I have seen that he runs things for the AHL team.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Sounds like the original "source" and other media outlets may be parroting speculation by Elliotte Friedman in a radio interview from the other day.

Bob Stauffer, the host of Oilers now – on which Friedman appeared – wondered if it was a possibility that the Sabres might consider looking at Brad Treliving as a candidate to be their GM since his contract will be up with the Calgary Flames soon.

“I think so,” contemplated Friedman. “I think it might have just gotten a little bit more expensive for Calgary to keep him.

“I’ll tell you this: I think there’s a lot of interest in the Buffalo job. I do. I’m going to be curious to see what they decide to do. Do you go experience: a Dean Lombardi, a Mike Gillis, a Don Maloney, someone like that. Do you go new: Pegula has a lot of ties to Pittsburgh. Do you plunk someone out of there, like a Jason Botterill or a Bill Guerin. Tom Fitzgerald, who he also knows pretty well. Craig Conroy, who’s a New York guy in Calgary and might be closer to getting something. Mike Futa was a guy that Buffalo interviewed last time when they hired Murray. Now he just got promoted in L.A., but you never know. Would Buffalo want permission to go back to him because he went pretty far down the road there. Paul Fenton. Norm Maciver from Chicago, who you guys know well. They’re going to have a lot of options there.

https://www.fanragsports.com/nhl/friedman-sabres-will-lot-gm-candidate-options/

I would suggest the title of this thread is highly misleading, as I'm certain there will be a list of many candidates, and it's not even clear if Conroy will be on that list.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Sounds like the original "source" and other media outlets may be parroting speculation by Elliotte Friedman in a radio interview from the other day.

https://www.fanragsports.com/nhl/friedman-sabres-will-lot-gm-candidate-options/

I would suggest the title of this thread is highly misleading, as I'm certain there will be a list of many candidates, and it's not even clear if Conroy will be on that list.

Well it does have a rumor and a question mark, so it can't be that misleading

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I wonder if Conroy would even accept it. He seems really comfortable here with his family. Obviously it's an amazing opportunity so he has to go at least listen, but I'm wondering if he would take it.

Leafs24Seven*

Jun 2, 2011
1000 Islands Usa/Can
Craig grew up and also played college hockey about 4 hours from Buffalo, would have lots of family nearby if he is offered and accepts the job in Buffalo, and that could be a deciding factor for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00