OT: Connor McDavid or Playoffs

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
Trade for a another first (not young assets). Make the playoffs. Have the extra first win the lottery. Done. :)
The playoffs are the most important thing for this franchise right now. So that's got to happen. But Mcdavid would do so much for this franchise, it's hard to ignore. And drafting him at home too :nod:.
Both.

If only...:cry:

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
It's better for the long term health of this franchise to finish in 9th place and miss the playoffs than to finish dead last and draft McDavid.

McDavid may be a generational talent, but one guy will not make a great hockey team.

For the Panthers to be that bad, it means everything that has been building the past 5 years has utterly failed.... all the promising young talent has disappointed... everything must be torn down and built anew... new coaching staff... new GM...

In other words back to square one.

This one should not even be a close vote.

:handclap:

Maybe I'm a fool, but Tallon really has me believing in his plan. I want him to stay as GM and I don't see how he can if this team finishes at the bottom again. Everything would be blown up, and I think the kids' development would really be damaged with another season like that. If they can compete for a playoff spot, even if they don't make it, I think it would do wonders for these guys and their confidence. They remind me of the Blackhawks in 07-08, a young team with a ton of talent that's maybe two years away from being a real contender. Competing for a playoff spot would do a lot for this team's future.

hockeydude1

#CatsAreComing
Mar 9, 2008
Florida
This is the best draft the scouts have seen in more than a decade. They said all the way into the late second round there will be NHL caliber players along the way. I say we make the playoffs and we will still be okay with our pick.

Last edited:

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
This is the best draft the scouts have seen in more than 10 decades. They said all the way into the late second round there will be NHL caliber players along the way. I say we make the playoffs and we will still be okay with our pick.

10 decades? The "first" draft was in the 50's. I assume there was a typo.

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL
Playoffs 100%. I'd absolutely love to have McDavid, but I think it's extremely unlikely that we finish in the Bottom 5 of the league. This fanbase needs another playoff berth more than anything and quite a few instances would happen if they had to draft 1st again that may not be positive for the team's direction.

In my mind, finishing 9th or 10th is better than finishing dead last or in the basement enough to get the first overall pick again. It will help players attitudes that this organization is moving forward to what Tallon believes will turn into another competitive team. Even if the team just misses out on the playoffs, it will get the casual fans to possibly start paying attention and realize that the team isn't a basement team any longer and are on their way to success.

The problem is, most casual fans and sports fans down here in general don't realize that Rome wasn't built in a day and it's very rare that one of the worst teams in the league can't become one of the best overnight.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
A little torn because it would be great to get either McDavid or Eichel. But we would have to finish last. And that would mean the end of Tallon. And it would be incredibly disappointing after the money we've just spent recently. It would also mean our young players that we've been drafting for the last few years haven't been developing, and it would really knock their confidence.

So playoffs it is. We've drafted a lot of high end prospects. Its time to start a winning culture, and becoming a consistent playoff team.

I like Howboutthempanthers idea, in that we trade for a 1st round pick next year. Then it would be fun cheering for the Panthers, and rooting for the team who we traded with to lose.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Changes to the sweepstakes, it's not going to be like it's been.

Not effective this draft though, it's the one after that. (The Day draft)

It. Is. A. Lottery.

You can't set out with acquiring Conner McDavid as a goal. It's not something you can attain. It's a gift that is given randomly. I don't want to turn this into a tanking thread, but tanking is dumb. Even if we don't make it far into the playoffs, it will do so much good to the psyche of our players and the fanbase.

Eichel will be a beast as well. Really, any of the top 5 next year would be #1 this year. But I agree with the rest of your points.

iam76

Sep 30, 2011
Connecticut
A little torn because it would be great to get either McDavid or Eichel. But we would have to finish last. And that would mean the end of Tallon. And it would be incredibly disappointing after the money we've just spent recently. It would also mean our young players that we've been drafting for the last few years haven't been developing, and it would really knock their confidence.

So playoffs it is. We've drafted a lot of high end prospects. Its time to start a winning culture, and becoming a consistent playoff team.

I like Howboutthempanthers idea, in that we trade for a 1st round pick next year. Then it would be fun cheering for the Panthers, and rooting for the team who we traded with to lose.

i actually like eichel and hanifin more... but thats due to mcdavid not looking as amazing the times i watched which is few

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
i actually like eichel and hanifin more... but thats due to mcdavid not looking as amazing the times i watched which is few

Yknow...me too. Kinda in the same way too many say 87 is better than 8 when spidey sense says otherwise.

Maybe we're wrong because we haven't seen either in the NHL, but I'm glad someone said it.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013
Playoffs. Need to bring stability to the org. Personally I'm tired of wondering who will be the coach/GM etc after every season.

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
McDavid, no question at all for me. I still believe the team has pretty much bottomed out on fans over the past decade. Missing the playoffs isn't going to make an irrelevant team more irrelevant and getting a potential franchise player would make an irrelevant team relevant. I would take long term competitiveness over a flukey playoff berth every single time. And if that comes at the expense of Tallon, then no big deal for me. I've tired of the "0MGz BLUPR1NT" stuff over the past few years and his performance thus far has left much to be desired.

As for the argument that making the playoffs will somehow instantly change the culture of this team, did that happen after 2012? Or did we just draft 1st overall. Injuries excuse be damned; this is the same old Panthers. One year out of many won't change anything. A player that will be on the team for years will. Add that player to the strong core that is here? The Panthers will finally have a completely legitimate contender and that is when things will change for the better.

That being said, we're not getting McDavid or Eichel. So, oh well.

BureCT22

May 8, 2014
McDavid, no question at all for me. I still believe the team has pretty much bottomed out on fans over the past decade. Missing the playoffs isn't going to make an irrelevant team more irrelevant and getting a potential franchise player would make an irrelevant team relevant. I would take long term competitiveness over a flukey playoff berth every single time. And if that comes at the expense of Tallon, then no big deal for me. I've tired of the "0MGz BLUPR1NT" stuff over the past few years and his performance thus far has left much to be desired.

As for the argument that making the playoffs will somehow instantly change the culture of this team, did that happen after 2012? Or did we just draft 1st overall. Injuries excuse be damned; this is the same old Panthers. One year out of many won't change anything. A player that will be on the team for years will. Add that player to the strong core that is here? The Panthers will finally have a completely legitimate contender and that is when things will change for the better.

I agree 100% with everything you said but unfortunately this team is just good enough to be out of the bottom 3 this season. Great time to improve just a hint eh? sucks, this always happens. Unless we get really lucky and win the lottery sitting at like 25th overall, that's the only way this happens.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Dallas took a risk on the Seguin deal and its paying off so much. He's lighting up the NHL and they have a great dynamic duo in Seguin-Benn. They had lot's of great assets to move like Neal, Eriksson, etc. Their playoff run last season and their great young core bought them Spezza. Now their top-six is as solid as any in the West.

Dale needs his group to make the playoffs and in turn, he's gotta start moving some assets to gain proven talent. A "Seguin for Eriksson" type of deal needs to be done here. But, finishing last is going to crush us. We need to see some guys start to blow up. I could see Barkov doing that. He's a fantastic talent with all the tools. Just needs to stay healthy and he'll rack points.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania

2012 was a fluke. What we are building now is not though. The number of youngsters coming up or ready to make an impact are much more abundant than in 2012.

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
I agree 100% with everything you said but unfortunately this team is just good enough to be out of the bottom 3 this season. Great time to improve just a hint eh? sucks, this always happens. Unless we get really lucky and win the lottery sitting at like 25th overall, that's the only way this happens.

Well yeah, but the question was what you'd take between the two, really.

Making the playoffs this year, sadly, doesn't mean a whole lot. Chances are, if they over perform, they're a 1st round exit.

Now, if I had to choose between Huberdeau, Barkov, and Bjugstad breaking out or getting McDavid, I would take the former.

The point is we have franchise prospects. We've had that before though. And unless those become franchise players, I'm cool with adding better franchise prospects in the meantime.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad