Post-Game Talk: Connor McBowl 9:07 pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I put this on Kuznetsov & Wilson and the coaching staff. You match 8/19/77 up against their top line and your second wave must do more. Kuznetsov's season-high in TOI so far this season is his average over the past two seasons. Without him going this is a far easier team to match up against. Previously they've used him against McDavid. Whatever their approach is with him this season so far the only plus is better face-offs. The rest seems pretty similar to last season. Easy to say but they probably needed a different look against Edmonton (or at least a higher level established from that second line, which of course Hagelin has no business being on either).

Reactions: bur and 666 others

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
When you have a 2 goal lead going into the 3rd and you lose. It's a **** show. It has happened 4 times already this season. It is an issue that needs to be fixed. They gave to learn how to finish games. 40 minutes isn't good enough.

Hi, I guess you aren't taking anything I said into account. Eh? This new system of aggressive skating uses up more energy. Energy is a finite resource. The Caps use it up before the end of the game. The style of play both sets them up for those leads and results in the losing of those leads. Its simple math,

The Caps are clearly good at this kind of hockey and are occasionally victims of the clear pitfall of that style of play. Either they will have to ease off of what gets them the leads or their conditioning will have to improve in order to close out more of those games. Playing harder, earlier and longer isn't free. There's a reason why teams don't do it.

Are you saying the Caps need a new system or maybe that they need younger players?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
if Reirdon has a early exit again this spring, time to really think if he’s the guy moving forward.

Meltdown town. I love this group. The Caps are 7-2-3. They have held late leads in all but one of those L's. The pitfall of this style of game is running out of gas. Its largely working.

But yet after a OTL we have people suggesting the coach be fired.....again. This is weak.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I put this on Kuznetsov & Wilson and the coaching staff. You match 8/19/77 up against their top line and your second wave must do more. Kuznetsov's season-high in TOI so far this season is his average over the past two seasons. Without him going this is a far easier team to match up against. Previously they've used him against McDavid. Whatever their approach is with him this season so far the only plus is better face-offs. The rest seems pretty similar to last season. Easy to say but they probably needed a different look against Edmonton (or at least a higher level established from that second line, which of course Hagelin has no business being on either).

I agree. McDavid and Draisatl are going to get their opportunities and will score and it’s up to the other lines to win their matchups.

It hasn’t been suggested in a while but I wonder if at some point they don’t try Kuznetsov on the wing. It’s obviously not a great long-term solution but perhaps it’ll free him up to be more effective generating offense while not having to shoulder a heavy defensive load. It seems like he can’t handle two-way play right now. Meanwhile Eller has had a nice start to the season and has proven in the past capable of handling 2C minutes.

Again, this doesn’t seem ideal for a long period of time because the bottom 6 would be even weaker but it’s something that may be worth a shot for a bit to kickstart Kuznetsov.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Caps never deserved any chance at winning this game tonight, in spite of having a 3-1 lead. Didn't play good enough in the 1st and they played even worse in the 3rd and OT. Caps need to learn to play 60 min. They haven't quite learned to put all the facets of the game together at one time to play well for a full game. In a nutshell, the Caps are 7-2-3 mostly because they are the best 2nd period team in the NHL.

While I sort of agree with this post, no team ever really plays 60 minutes. Just last night the mighty Canes were up 3-1 and lost 4-3 in OT, it happens all the time. I wish it didn't to the Caps and I hope they fix it asap but right now it is what is.

Also how hard is coaching when you just throw McDavid and Draistl out there for 27:27 and 26:49 per game. That's 9 minutes more than their next closest forward.

Anyway I'm over it, if you get to the gimmick part of the game you get a point, so far this season the Caps have gotten points in ten of twelve. That is a recipe for success.

Last edited:

Brucelenok

Aug 9, 2016
With all due respect to McDavid, the reason why he got a 3 point night was because of Holtby. Caps should've won this gane 3-2 or 4-2. McDavid's goal was a softy

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Hi, I guess you aren't taking anything I said into account. Eh? This new system of aggressive skating uses up more energy. Energy is a finite resource. The Caps use it up before the end of the game. The style of play both sets them up for those leads and results in the losing of those leads. Its simple math,

The Caps are clearly good at this kind of hockey and are occasionally victims of the clear pitfall of that style of play. Either they will have to ease off of what gets them the leads or their conditioning will have to improve in order to close out more of those games. Playing harder, earlier and longer isn't free. There's a reason why teams don't do it.

Are you saying the Caps need a new system or maybe that they need younger players?
Eh?
The problem in 3rd periods with a lead is that they don't change their style at all. Still making aggressive plays instead of smart plays. For some reason everyone here seems to think that protecting a lead is turtling. Well I have news for you. It really isn't. Nothing wrong with pushing the play when you have a lead but you have to make smart decisions. You just can't throw blind passes. If they play isn't there then get the puck deep. It's not a difficult concept. And I guarantee that Reirden has already said that to his players.
In those situations we should probably use our 4th line more often. Those guys tend to make the smart play instead of the cute play. It was one of the reasons Beagle was a valuable player while he was here.
Sorry Txpd but your argument doesn't hold water.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I agree. McDavid and Draisatl are going to get their opportunities and will score and it’s up to the other lines to win their matchups.

It hasn’t been suggested in a while but I wonder if at some point they don’t try Kuznetsov on the wing. It’s obviously not a great long-term solution but perhaps it’ll free him up to be more effective generating offense while not having to shoulder a heavy defensive load. It seems like he can’t handle two-way play right now. Meanwhile Eller has had a nice start to the season and has proven in the past capable of handling 2C minutes.

Again, this doesn’t seem ideal for a long period of time because the bottom 6 would be even weaker but it’s something that may be worth a shot for a bit to kickstart Kuznetsov.

For the sake of conversation. How does this help? If you put Kuznetsov on the 2nd line wing in Hagelin's spot with Eller at center, what do you get that is better than what they have? Or even as good? You are messing with 3 lines doing that. You risk screwing up the entire team over this one issue that is not keeping them from winning right now. Moving Kuzy to the wing, IMO, is a desperation move.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
With all due respect to McDavid, the reason why he got a 3 point night was because of Holtby. Caps should've won this gane 3-2 or 4-2. McDavid's goal was a softy
Did you watch this game? Holtby was our best player and it wasn't even close. The Oilers could have put up double digits if not for Holtby.
That was the most ridiculous post in this thread.

Reactions: JenniferH

Brucelenok

Aug 9, 2016
Did you watch this game? Holtby was our best player and it wasn't even close. The Oilers could have put up double digits if not for Holtby.
That was the most ridiculous post in this thread.

I didn't say Holtby played the WHOLE game bad, but 3rd period wasn't good

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
In those situations we should probably use our 4th line more often. Those guys tend to make the smart play instead of the cute play. It was one of the reasons Beagle was a valuable player while he was here.

Lets start with the fact that there is a vast difference in the quality of player between Beagle and Dowd. They are not the same at all.

Meanwhile the Caps lost the game 6 on 5 with the Oil goalie pulled. They weren't pushing the play or making aggressive offensive plays at that point. They gave up one regular goal in that game. The 2nd.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Eh?
The problem in 3rd periods with a lead is that they don't change their style at all. Still making aggressive plays instead of smart plays. For some reason everyone here seems to think that protecting a lead is turtling. Well I have news for you. It really isn't. Nothing wrong with pushing the play when you have a lead but you have to make smart decisions. You just can't throw blind passes. If they play isn't there then get the puck deep. It's not a difficult concept. And I guarantee that Reirden has already said that to his players.
They didn’t lose because of aggressive play, they lost because the Oilers went 6 on 5 and the defensive coverage was poor. I think Tex is correct that they were probably gassed.

Reactions: txpd

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
For the sake of conversation. How does this help? If you put Kuznetsov on the 2nd line wing in Hagelin's spot with Eller at center, what do you get that is better than what they have? Or even as good? You are messing with 3 lines doing that. You risk screwing up the entire team over this one issue that is not keeping them from winning right now. Moving Kuzy to the wing, IMO, is a desperation move.

It'd be primarily an attempt to kickstart Kuznetsov. I freely admit it would impact the 3rd and 4th lines which is why I don't think it would be a good long-term solution, but Kuznetsov as-is isn't good enough for this team to win in the postseason either. I realize they are winning games now but we've seen what happens in postseasons where Kuznetsov is good (a Cup) vs. bad (early exits). They need him to be good and I'm just spitballing ideas that may help him regain his 2018 form, even if it may hurt their regular season depth scoring for a bit.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
It'd be primarily an attempt to kickstart Kuznetsov. I freely admit it would impact the 3rd and 4th lines which is why I don't think it would be a good long-term solution, but Kuznetsov as-is isn't good enough for this team to win in the postseason either. I realize they are winning games now but we've seen what happens in postseasons where Kuznetsov is good (a Cup) vs. bad (early exits). They need him to be good and I'm just spitballing ideas that may help him regain his 2018 form, even if it may hurt their regular season depth scoring for a bit.

I understand why you think its worth a try and I am asking how it would work and if its time to make that radical a move? As I said, its a desperation move. You toss every line other than Ov and Backstrom's line up in the air. With Wilson already off the 1st line, that line has already been messed with in an effort to help Kuzy's defense.

How does playing the wing get him going? His offensive game and the Caps style of game is suited for him to play center. I am not sure what he brings to the wing, particularly if his center is either Dowd or Eller.

Lastly, yea. Kuzy is the difference maker. They can get deep in the playoffs without him but its far easier to succeed with him on his game. I just have concluded that the quality of his game comes from effort and desire or the lack there of and I am not sure what skating a wing does to effect that. Give me 20 or 30 more games of this/last season's Kuzy and I will have to conclude that he is what he is

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Eh?

Sorry, but there is a difference in playing defensive sound hockey and "turtling". I agree that a two goal lead in the third should be followed by a move to making less aggressive play. But that's not the same as the turtle effect we saw with trotz. You still need to be a threat offensively, you still need to force play into the opposition zone, you can't spend shifts boxed in around crease letting the opposition start racking up shots. That's what people hated about trotz late in games. We at times went completely the opposite direction and went full defensive.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I mean...it's not that outlandish. Kuznetsov is garbage defensively and largely avoids hard areas. (There's a not getting your nose dirty joke begging to me made.)

The bigger and probably more worthwhile kick in the pants is to put him on the third line but they don't do merit-based terribly well. Or getting the most out of everyone individually so long as there's acceptable team success. They've been carried by some fantastic individual performances but depth still seems questionable along with likely incapable shutdown personnel. Much like last year in the first round, they can't really afford for 92/13/43 to be mediocre or worse. That second wave has to do its part consistently.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
They were playing a good team on the road and lost in a gimmick that perfectly suits said team.

Kuzy obviously needs to be better. Jensen and Siegs make me nervous, and neither should be playing significant minutes.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
Holtby deserved better, played great, 4 solid starts in a row now for him
Shut down McDrai line for 44 min.s, not enough unfortunately

Serious props to McDrai, they're top-tier NHL'ers, no shame getting beat by those 2... if it were their bottom 6 that beat us, then we should go to the box and feel shame for longer than 2 minutes

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
I just hope he starts dominating like he can. Hopefully he saw McDavid up close and that will motivate him to play better. We need Kuzy and he used to own the Oilers, remember 5 point game? Now, he's almost invisible.

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
btw, I was reading other boards and one this came to my mind. The Caps hasn't experienced any adversity. It's not good for the playoffs. For example, the Pens is always injured and the remaining players need to play really good. While we can go through some motions and still win the games. Yes, this is my legit concern lol

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I understand why you think its worth a try and I am asking how it would work and if its time to make that radical a move? As I said, its a desperation move. You toss every line other than Ov and Backstrom's line up in the air. With Wilson already off the 1st line, that line has already been messed with in an effort to help Kuzy's defense.

How does playing the wing get him going? His offensive game and the Caps style of game is suited for him to play center. I am not sure what he brings to the wing, particularly if his center is either Dowd or Eller.

Lastly, yea. Kuzy is the difference maker. They can get deep in the playoffs without him but its far easier to succeed with him on his game. I just have concluded that the quality of his game comes from effort and desire or the lack there of and I am not sure what skating a wing does to effect that. Give me 20 or 30 more games of this/last season's Kuzy and I will have to conclude that he is what he is

I’m starting to worry something else is going on.

He had every reason to come in playing at his best levels....

Concerning....

Reactions: txpd and Calicaps
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad