Confirmed with Link: Connor Brown to WSH for 2024 2nd round pick

Portable Mink

Sep 12, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
Thanks Ottawa fans for the comments.
I think it absolutely makes sense to try him out on the top line first.

What I see could end up being good though is:
Mantha - Eller - Brown

Eller has the puck and lot and with Browns tenacity I think you need a bit of a quick shot sith them. Could be a real strong 3rd line depending on whether it leaves an effective 2nd

Reactions: JohnCarlsaurus

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
More encouragement as I made a post about Brown and Giroux on the Sens board, I figured I'd pass these facts here :

Last 3 seasons :

Giroux : 198 GP 58 G 103 A 161 PTS 0.81 PPG
Brown : 191 GP 47 G 70 A 117 PTS 0.61 PPG

They play similar ES TOI/GP, difference is Brown PKed a lot (2:42 per game) while Giroux PPed a lot (3:01 per game)

Brown : 100 points at Even Strength or PK during the last 3 seasons
Giroux : 107 points at Even Strength or PK during the last 3 seasons

Brown is no Giroux, but you'll see that he's no slouch at ES/PK. Just don't play him on the PP1.

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
I forgot Brown was part of the Zaitsev/Ceci trade, a big part to balance out the Zaitsev deal. Zaitsev still has 2 yr at $4.5M left on that deal Given to him by Lou L.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I missed the Wilson injury diagnosis after my *near* annual choke job tune out .

So that random dude I met at a winery a few days after Willy got injured who said "ain't no way Wilson is coming back AND he is going to miss time next year actually" was right. I posted about it here since it seemed so out there that maybe the guy had a source. And he was dammit so now I need to nail down his sources if we meet up again.

I remember interpreting Lavi saying "we'll see him on down the road" as longer term which led me to be brave enough to post it here.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Brown should be great on first line with Kuzy and OV. And I’d like to keep him there when Wilson comes back.

Mantha, Strome, and Wilson is a bigggg line and will be a handful.

And third line of Snively, McMichael, and Leason as a young energy line which can drive play.

Sheary-Dowd-Hathaway as an even improved 4th line.

This assumes we can move Eller out for some draft collateral. If not I suspect Snively comes out.

Reactions: YippieKaey

YippieKaey

How you gonna do hockey like that?
Apr 2, 2012
Stockholm Sweden
Brown should be great on first line with Kuzy and OV. And I’d like to keep him there when Wilson comes back.

And third line of Snively, McMichael, and Leason as a young energy line which can drive play.

This assumes we can move Eller out for some draft collateral. If not I suspect Snively comes out.

I can get behind these lines. Although it would be cool to try Eller on 4LW for the puck possession goodness that would create. Put Sheary in in place of Leason. Or trade Eller of course.

Im cautiously optimistic about the upcoming NHL season

Reactions: DWGie26

Mohar Ikram

Dec 27, 2021
Muadzam Shah, Pahang, Malaysia

So tell me....

Where the heck you throw out Oshie from the roster? Hudson River?

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
I want to see
Ovy Kuzy Sheary
Mantha Strome Brown
CMM Eller Oshie

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Ovechkin-Kuznetsov-Mantha
Sheary-McMichael-Oshie
Johansson-Strome-Brown
AJF-Dowd-Hathaway

I still think Mantha should be given a shot on the RW beside Ovechkin and Kuznetsov. His skillset seems like it might be a good complement to Ovechkin’s and Kuznetsov’s. And with the glut of LWs on the roster moving Mantha to RW isn’t going to leave them short and it might actually take advantage of his shot.

The second and third lines should probably get roughly equal ES ice time. I like what 73-24-77 did last year together. Maybe swap Snively for Johansson.

And I want to see AJF in the lineup on the 4th line.

I don’t think there’s a place for Eller on the roster any more. Strome is a way better player, and McMichael should be there now. Thank you for your service Lars, you’ll always be remembered as a Caps legend.

Reactions: searle

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Lol my guess is 2RW until Wilson returns and someone, maybe Oshie, will be hurt by then anyway
Haha… yes. I did kinda skip over him. I do think Oshie plays on 2nd line until Wilson gets back and then Brown, Wilson, Oshie, Hathaway down the right side. I really like Leason but he is going to get squeezed out again. I could see Leason taking over 4RW next year as Hathaway likely gets paid too much elsewhere to be resigned.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Brown is great at getting to the puck, which will make him an asset on the Caps’ top line – get the puck to Ovechkin or Kuznetsov and they can fill in the rest. Per game last season he averaged 7.63 offensive-zone loose puck recoveries, 1.39 offensive-zone puck battle wins, and 16 total loose puck recoveries. He has actively made stealing pucks a part of his game over the years, and that kind of persistence with the puck will be very welcome in Washington’s lineup.

Since 2019, only three forwards have more shorthanded points than Brown, who has 11. He also only took five minor penalties last season, recording his lowest PIM total since his first full NHL season in 2016-2017 with the Leafs. A responsible forward who is also a vital part of the penalty kill? Yes please!

Reactions: Calicaps

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
You guys will love Brown. There's some players that you just know will fit in anywhere they go based on how they play. Guys like Stone or Pageau from Ottawa in these past years, cerebral and hard working. While he's no Stone, you know what you get every single shift. He plays hard and fast, and he's very good at disrupting the play. He knows where to be and when. Has to be one of the best PKers in the league. Very underrated player.

Only issue with him is finishing plays but he can still put the puck in the net. Usually he starts off slower and picks up the pace towards middle of the season. Ottawa hasn't been in a position to see how he would play in the playoffs but I'm sure he would be very good. He steps up and he's dependable, coach will love him.

Can't believe he went for a 2nd only. Easy deal to make from Caps perspective. Only reason he went is because Ottawa wasn't/wouldn't be able to keep him past this season.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I'm still bitter about this trade, y'all Caps fans have a 20g 25a winger who will never take a shift off. Dude is relentless with and away from the puck and he can literally fit in anywhere on any line.

Having said that, i'm surprised this trade went down between the Caps and the Sens. We needed help on D, and y'all already have loads of defensively responsible players, Brown seems like a luxury tbh.

Even if we had gotten back Jensen and a lower draft pick, it'd have made sense for Ottawa, but despite recent acquisitions, Dorion has a lot to before the teams needs are met.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I'm still bitter about this trade, y'all Caps fans have a 20g 25a winger who will never take a shift off. Dude is relentless with and away from the puck and he can literally fit in anywhere on any line.

Having said that, i'm surprised this trade went down between the Caps and the Sens. We needed help on D, and y'all already have loads of defensively responsible players, Brown seems like a luxury tbh.

Even if we had gotten back Jensen and a lower draft pick, it'd have made sense for Ottawa, but despite recent acquisitions, Dorion has a lot to before the teams needs are met.
Excited to hear more about Brown. Wilson is probably our best penalty killer and he is out until December (or so). This move was more about replacing Wilson for now. But if Brown can really deliver 20/25/45 then it is a win offensively as well. I think they will pair him with Strome, who isn’t known for defensive prowess and could end up being a sneaky effective line.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Excited to hear more about Brown. Wilson is probably our best penalty killer and he is out until December (or so). This move was more about replacing Wilson for now. But if Brown can really deliver 20/25/45 then it is a win offensively as well. I think they will pair him with Strome, who isn’t known for defensive prowess and could end up being a sneaky effective line.
Its a contract year for him as well, so I won't be shocked if he hits 50 points. Another good thing about him, he isn't afraid to get into dirty areas to retrieve the puck and stays out of the box for the most part.

Can't think of a more perfect winger for Ovechkin's line. If opposing players don't focus on Brown, he'll have the puck, Getting it off him will leave Ovie wide open in his office for a nice slapper

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad