Congratulations to the Presidents’ Trophy Winner, the NEW YORK RANGERS!

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024

No idea where you get your stats from. 5v5 goals for and against stats in the links above.

Rangers are +2 (and were +3 in their final game, so they were -1 before that)
Canes are +29

My post was just pointing out that their 5v5 play leaves a lot to be desired for a "best team in the league" especially in the playoffs with less penalties called.
This is inaccurate, historically. More penalties/game in the playoffs most years.

Reactions: Tobias Kahun

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
He was basically going solo. There were seasons where our top scorer didnt even crack 60 points.

These are ACTUAL season team highs during Henrik's tenure:

Nikolai Zherdev 58 points
Brandon Dubinsky 54 points (2nd was Callahan with 48)
Derek Stephan 44 points (lockout year)
Mats Zuccarello 56 points
Mats Zuccarello 59 points
Mats Zuccarello 53 points

Rick Nash scored 76 points one year, and we were about ready to give him a key to the city and retire his number.

We had to send Dan Girardi to the All Star game one year as our team representative.

I don't think anyone understands the complete lack of talent on those ranger teams, despite making the playoffs every year.
Imagine Hank having a better Kreider (Kreider entered his prime just as Hank was leaving his), Zib, Fox, Panarin, Laf, etc. He never had anyone on that level.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
He was basically going solo. There were seasons where our top scorer didnt even crack 60 points.

These are ACTUAL season team highs during Henrik's tenure:

Nikolai Zherdev 58 points
Brandon Dubinsky 54 points (2nd was Callahan with 48)
Derek Stephan 44 points (lockout year)
Mats Zuccarello 56 points
Mats Zuccarello 59 points
Mats Zuccarello 53 points

Rick Nash scored 76 points one year, and we were about ready to give him a key to the city and retire his number.

We had to send Dan Girardi to the All Star game one year as our team representative.

I don't think anyone understands the complete lack of talent on those ranger teams, despite making the playoffs every year.
It really can't be overstated just how mediocre the Rangers were during the Lundqvist years. He dragged them into the playoffs and beyond. There is zero question in my mind that he would win a cup in his prime on any team that had just one elite scorer.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
With this reply, I am not sure you do...

An award for the best regular season is weaker than non-alcoholic beer. Sports are played to win championships.
As a Ranger fan are you going to buy 2024 President's trophy swag and rock a hat or put a patch on jersey?
A participation trophy goes to losers who just…participated.

Reactions: BB79

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
The Rangers used to be one of my Cup favorites all season long. Then they won the President Trophy.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
It's pretty unexpected. I didn't necessarily think that Rangers were the most impressive team this season, and they had some ugly losses.
Dec through Jan 31st was very rough. They were around 20th in the league for point percentage. Obviously we know rivals are going to mock the team. Other fans are going to point out their flaws and mock them as well. But to sit at the top after more than 1/3 of your games were played during that range is pretty impressive, even if you don't want to give them credit.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
What am I missing here. Almost positive they are a +21 in 5 on 5 goal differential. They have out scored the hurricanes 5 on 5 205-197. You want to include empty net goals they still out score the hurricanes 186-178. If you include both empty net goals and empty net goals allowed the rangers are still a plus 17. Not sure where these stats are coming from.

They're +21 at even strength, but that includes any 4v4, 3v3, 5v6, and 6v5 goals.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
crazy how little respect this team gets relative to every other playoff team in the league. lol #1 team in the league is the 5th featured story on nhl and there's nothing on the athletic. welp let 'em play the games

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Sports are played to win championships

So in your eyes if the Rangers don't win the whole thing this year, does 2024=1994 ? (we both know the answer is "of course not)
Of course not, but they still won the best record, so they get that trophy. Whether it means much or not is another matter. A participation trophy would be like if all 31 other teams got a trophy too for showing up to the season.

TropicOfNoReturn

May 30, 2021
Yes, the President's Trophy has the highest winrate of all seed positions.
All time, yes it does.
However, a while back I dug a bit deeper and since the salary cap was implemented, it is not the highest percentage. Perhaps more relevant than all-time stats.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I had no idea. Congrats to them. Didn't they send a tweet about a rebuild 2 or 3 years ago? That is one hell of a turnaround. I thought rebuilds had to last a decade or more! Signed, Jealous Oil fan.

Reactions: HolyHagelin

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Can someone do the math?

I’m pretty sure taking any single seed against the field to win the cup is a bad bet.

What a crazy retool the Rangers went on. Would love to see a documentary if they win the cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad