Blue Jays Discussion: Confirmed: Vladimir Guerrero Jr is still good at baseball

Status
Not open for further replies.

metafour

Apr 6, 2008
I'm unsure what to make of Delauter, who keeps falling down the list. He has tantalizing tools but some big question marks. I don't want to be fooled by another Hunter Bishop type.

Hunter Bishop really only had one year of performance (his draft year) and he struggled heavily in both of his appearances in the Cape Cod league. I don't think there is much comparison to DeLauter from a performance perspective - the "sell" on DeLauter is that all he has done is hit (albeit in a mid-major conference), but he also backed that up with a really strong performance with wood bats in the Cape Cod league as well. He is also on the younger side at 20-years old.

Drafting at #23, I don't think you can really get upset if that is who they ultimately land, given that his injury is really why he would ultimately be available there in the first place. There are the legitimate questions you can raise from the scouting side on his swing, but you're not talking about a Top 10 pick here so you need to be realistic as well. The Jays connection makes sense given he fits the performance metrics they normally look for, on top of their recent trend at scooping up "Top 10" types who fell to them because they were injured.

I expect that ultimately he'll end up going before the Jays pick due to tools and performance.

TGB

Jun 7, 2021
Well, this is an encouraging sign: after 46 games, despite the massive difference in offense and the bad month, the Jays are 3 wins better than they were at this point (games) than last year (which were 23 and 23).

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Hunter Bishop really only had one year of performance (his draft year) and he struggled heavily in both of his appearances in the Cape Cod league. I don't think there is much comparison to DeLauter from a performance perspective - the "sell" on DeLauter is that all he has done is hit (albeit in a mid-major conference), but he also backed that up with a really strong performance with wood bats in the Cape Cod league as well. He is also on the younger side at 20-years old.

Drafting at #23, I don't think you can really get upset if that is who they ultimately land, given that his injury is really why he would ultimately be available there in the first place. There are the legitimate questions you can raise from the scouting side on his swing, but you're not talking about a Top 10 pick here so you need to be realistic as well. The Jays connection makes sense given he fits the performance metrics they normally look for, on top of their recent trend at scooping up "Top 10" types who fell to them because they were injured.

I expect that ultimately he'll end up going before the Jays pick due to tools and performance.
I didn't say I was making a comparison based on performance, but I'm sure you already know that.

The comparison I'm making is based strictly on falling in love with tantalizing tools, particularly power tools, when there are legitimate questions about the hit tool (in Delauter's case due to his swing).

I'll throw away his mid-major numbers as they're not worth mentioning, and focus on his Cape performance, which I think you're overstating. Sure, he had a strong performance statistically but lets put that in context. How many top arms pitched in the Cape that summer? How many projected first round picks in this draft pitched? Zero! The best pitcher talent-wise was Crawford, who only pitched 2 innings due to injury. After that you're looking at Bryce Hubbart, a likely third round pick. It was not a strong pitching field due to many injuries to top guys but I'm sure you know that as well.

Just to be clear, I wouldn't be "upset" if we picked Delauter at 23, he's just not my preference regardless of where he was previously ranked. But this idea you seem to carry around in your head every year that we should shut up and be happy getting someone because they were once ranked high on some board is frankly annoying. It defeats the purpose of a discussion board where we specifically debate and discuss our preferences. Otherwise why don't we just post the consensus rankings and let that be it, end of discussion. You were saying the same stuff last year telling us why we should be ecstatic about getting Hoglund, or the year before with Van Eyk in the 2nd.. Hoglund has yet to pitch so you have a reprieve, but I'm looking forward to him showing you how wrong you were about his upside. The Jays have seemed to try to cash in on prospects they get down on ASAP (Martin, SWR, etc.) so I wouldn't be surprised if they saw something during rehab that made them decide to cut bait on Hoglund before he threw a single pitch, while the rest of the league was still as enthralled by his previous draft projections as you are.

Also, what recent trend of scooping up top 10 guys who fell are you talking about? One year is a trend?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad