Confidence level in goaltending for upcoming season (23/24)?

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
I was of the opinion they drafted Augustine because they had some concerns about how Cossa was trending. They traded up to draft Cossa but he hasn't looked great since turning pro. So it's good to see them bank another high draft pick on a goalie and for Augustine to look the part. The rebuild will be in much better shape if we can get a quality #1 NHL goalie from either Cossa or Augustine. My guess is Augustine gets one more year in college before they sign him to a pro contract.
They diversified their funds by drafting another goalie high, for sure. I think there would have been motivation to do that regardless of how Cossa had been playing (just because you want more than one goalie in the pipeline most of the time) but Cossa’s numbers maybe compelled to Detroit to be a little quicker on the trigger.

I agree though, despite Cossa’s poor showings, I feel pretty confident we should get something valuable out of the duo.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Was looking at goalies hitting UFA next year and I don't know that any of them are going to fix our situation. (maybe try DeSmith?)

So what do we do? Thinking we are going to have to pull off a trade here.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Was looking at goalies hitting UFA next year and I don't know that any of them are going to fix our situation. (maybe try DeSmith?)

So what do we do? Thinking we are going to have to pull off a trade here.
A trade...

You cant, more often than not, build a team through free agency..just supplement around the edges..

The team needs a #1 goalie who can play 50 games a season, and inspire some confidence for an inexperienced team, for the next 3 years till Cossa is ready.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
A trade...

You cant, more often than not, build a team through free agency..just supplement around the edges..

The team needs a #1 goalie who can play 50 games a season, and inspire some confidence for an inexperienced team, for the next 3 years till Cossa is ready.
Those are very hard to find and those that have one already are very likely to hold onto them.

So how/who do we trade for to get this and from who?

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Those are very hard to find and those that have one already are very likely to hold onto them.

So how/who do we trade for to get this and from who?
Of the names "rumored" to be in play...Gibson and Markstrom...fit the bill

Of course how available, who else is and who isn't..well only SY knows

But if I were in SYs seat I'd be hard after Markstrom. Husso would go the other way along with a defensive prospect and a pick..

I'd run Markstrom and Lyon comfortably

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Of the names "rumored" to be in play...Gibson and Markstrom...fit the bill

Of course how available, who else is and who isn't..well only SY knows

But if I were in SYs seat I'd be hard after Markstrom. Husso would go the other way along with a defensive prospect and a pick..

I'd run Markstrom and Lyon comfortably
I was thinking Calgary too, especially because they have Wolf in the AHL who I would also try to kick the tires on.

But I don't know, look at Markstrom's last 4 seasons man... .904, .922, .892. 904. He's been pretty stinky 3 of the last 4 years. Plus he is getting up there in age. Kinda feels like another Reimer where we are bringing him in because of what he used to be and not because of what he is now.

All in all I'd give it a try if it was a reasonable/cheap cost, but I could see it being a pretty lateral move, and I also don't know Calgary is ready to run with another guy in net right now.

Reactions: Zetterberg4Captain

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I was thinking Calgary too, especially because they have Wolf in the AHL who I would also try to kick the tires on.

But I don't know, look at Markstrom's last 4 seasons man... .904, .922, .892. 904. He's been pretty stinky 3 of the last 4 years. Plus he is getting up there in age. Kinda feels like another Reimer where we are bringing him in because of what he used to be and not because of what he is now.

All in all I'd give it a try if it was a reasonable/cheap cost, but I could see it being a pretty lateral move, and I also don't know Calgary is ready to run with another guy in net right now.
I think he is a 50 game a year guy with a save % over .900(also matches his avg last 4 seasons including this one)

Whereas Husso is a 30 game a year guy with a save % below .895(also matches his last 4 seasons including this one)

It's a move I'd make

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think he is a 50 game a year guy with a save % over .900(also matches his avg last 4 seasons including this one)

Whereas Husso is a 30 game a year guy with a save % below .895(also matches his last 4 seasons including this one)

It's a move I'd make
Id give it a try, we can’t just continue on this path we’re on.

Reactions: Zetterberg4Captain

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
It's gotten so bad that Yzerman is probably calling Kenny Holland and inquiring whether he has any goalies available.

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
I honestly didn't think it would be this bad. Realistically though who could we or would you grab from a tender? Only ones that seem kinda reasonable would be Gibson or Markstrom? Call me crazy but I wanna see a Cossa call up just to back up and spend some time with the team.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I honestly didn't think it would be this bad. Realistically though who could we or would you grab from a tender? Only ones that seem kinda reasonable would be Gibson or Markstrom? Call me crazy but I wanna see a Cossa call up just to back up and spend some time with the team.
I'd leave Cossa in GR for the next 2 years and bring him up in 2025/26 as the backup

I'd think Markstrom could be had for a reasonable price and would help shore up some of our defensive mistakes while we wait for Cossa/Augustine

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Lyon is now tied for 4th in SV% for goalies with >10 games, but 16th in GAA. This team allows too many shots, can't blame the goalie for that.

So what's our confidence level now?

Reactions: Henkka

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad