Comprehensive breakdown of the music at Jets games in 2015-16

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Pre-Game-Ceremony-300x200.jpg

I've had some requests from fans who wanted to know the music played during Jets games.

For that list click here.

Derfel*

Overtime: Steve Aoki & Laidback Luke ft. Lil Jon - Turbulence

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
An absolutely lousy playlist that indicates a complete & utter misunderstanding of the demographic attending games at MTS Centre for the Jets / Moose.

Hardly accurate as well. A good portion of songs routinely played don't appear in this list at all.

SoupaTroupa

WHY NOT US?
Jan 8, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
I didn't really like it at first but I must say it's grown on me.

Me too! I cringed when I first heard they were using that song (like I cringe when I hear it at socials). But it works and I've found that I actually like it! It's miles better than the Moose goal song. Not a fan of that at all.

Derfel*

An absolutely lousy playlist that indicates a complete & utter misunderstanding of the demographic attending games at MTS Centre for the Jets / Moose.

Hardly accurate as well. A good portion of songs routinely played don't appear in this list at all.

I'll take the Jets play list over the Flames any day. Trust me.

Our goal song sucks, though. It's like bantam hockey. Stupid choice.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
I'll take the Jets play list over the Flames any day. Trust me.

Our goal song sucks, though. It's like bantam hockey. Stupid choice.

I'd take Calgary's organist playing The Bird Dance on repeat over the nu-metal drivel that is featured in this story.

I wouldn't be surprised if ownership intervened & added "Shout" themselves, since the in game programmer if left alone may start dropping Lamb of God b sides for goal celebrations.

Music highlight for me this season was the Brothers Landreth performing the National Anthems.

Last edited:

Inflict

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't care what anyone says, but the goal song is terrible. Should have continued to use "Hell Yeah".

The "Sad But True" remix by Metallica is by far the worst song on the list. Just use the goddamn original! The remix makes me want to puke.

I love the Iron Maiden, AC/DC and Ozzy selections and don't mind the rest of the playlist. I also think that our "Win" song is really awesome too.

SoupaTroupa

WHY NOT US?
Jan 8, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
I'd take Calgary's organist playing The Bird Dance on repeat over the nu-metal drivel that is featured in this story.

I wouldn't be surprised if ownership intervened & added "Shout" themselves, since the in game programmer if left alone may start dropping Lamb of God b sides for goal celebrations.

Music highlight for me this season was the Brothers Landreth performing the National Anthems.

I heard that the players picked it cause of Wedding Crashers. :dunno: I don't know how true that is though.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO

What exactly is wrong with the playlist at MTSC and how does it misunderstand the demographic attending games? I've attended probably over 100 Jets games, they seem to have a pretty varied music selection from what I can tell. :dunno:

My biggest complaint about the MTSC music is the lack of a live organist. Thankfully they've stopped playing the crappy canned organ music between whistles.

Last edited:

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
What exactly is wrong with the playlist at MTSC and how does it misunderstand the demographic attending games? I've attended probably over 100 Jets games, they seem to have a pretty varied music selection from what I can tell. :dunno:

My biggest complaint about the MTSC music is the lack of a live organist. Thankfully they've stopped playing the crappy canned organ music between whistles.

In the recent season ticket survey I added the need for a live organ player. I could care less about the music that is played except that often the crowd is pumped cheering on the Jets and someone puts on music killing all the crowd momentum.

bluuuurr

Apr 14, 2013
Germany
Not to pile on but our goal song is... well.....really????

100% agree. I thought we had one of the best goal songs in the league and now we have... what? :shakehead

I like it when a team has a unique goal song they use for years and years. Changing it just for the sake of changing it takes away from it's uniqueness.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
I like a fair range of different music. But for the kinds of tunes that get played at hockey games, it's mostly the classic rock that gets me going. I'd say, given the city, and the age of folks who can afford Jets tickets, classic rock is the way to go. Maybe with the odd other popular high energy tune mixed in. Look at how long 92 citi FM and Power 97 have been around in the city, with pretty much the same playlists for decades now.

When I watch away games, 9 times out of 10 I like the playlist better than what we get here at the MTSC.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
Arenas use remixes to save on licensing fees, I'd assume.

No....that's not how it works. They pay SOCAN fees based off of seating capacity the same as any venue that plays music.

It doesn't even matter what is played. No artist is paid more royalties than another even if their music is more popular or played more often.

They likely have to pay Connect licensing fees as well, presuming they are playing off digital playlists. Connect is a license that allows one to make copies of music they have purchased in physical format (ie cd's, lp's, ect)

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg

It's the playlist that was provided in the illegalcurve link. They've provided playlists a few times in the past. Other than the warm up songs which the players have a role in, the music listed featured 45 tracks, 32 of which were either gothic rock, industrial rock, alternative rock, hard rock, glam rock, numetal, & heavy metal. Further the lack of Canadian content is appalling. A Trooper track from 1978 & a ten year old song from Three Days Grace is all that appears.

Literally 80% of this reads like an itunes playlist of someone with a fascination with dark metal. Does this really represent the listening habits of the average fan?

If so one would assume The Albert would have been the most successful bar in Winnipeg for pre & post game parties. Instead they're out of business.....again.

Last edited:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
One of my favourite movies, but please no Belle & Sebastion tracks at Jet games either;)

I thought it was right up there with Spinal tap.....less sarcastic and a tad more smart mark style.

I have three friends who love to music Jack parties.....one has the chops, the other two should be taken out back and shot, and I say that in a loving way.

White Out 403*

what was the song ... or ... whatever you want to call it that they played when the Jets skated out for the playoffs at home?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad