Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
does anyone know of any compensation picks besides:
Rangers - R.J. Umberger (46th)
Stars - Martin Vagner (56th)
Rangers- Leetch (40th-50th)

anyone else?

there would be no compensation for hatcher, fedorov, or selanne right?

BronxBruin

Feb 27, 2002
Bronx, NY
Visit site
Why would the Rangers get a compensation pick for Leetch? They re-signed him.

Also, Dallas should get a pick for Hatcher since they didn't sign any big free agents last summer (that I can remember).

Same goes for San Jose and Selanne.

Detroit probably won't get a pick for Fedorov because of the Hatcher and Whitney signings.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
BronxBruin said:
Why would the Rangers get a compensation pick for Leetch? They re-signed him.

last summer the rangers sent leetch to edmonton just before july 1st so the oilers get a comp pick for 'losing' leetch when the rangers signed him. then at the deadline the rangers traded nedved & markanen to edmonton for helminen, valiquette and the 2nd round comp pick the oilers received for leetch...

basically they took advantage of a loophole to get some free picks

thestonedkoala

Will the Wild get any for losing Ronning (Sekeras doesn't count) or Brust or Berzins?

xander

Nov 4, 2003
Section A Lynah Rink
Visit site
NYR469 said:
last summer the rangers sent leetch to edmonton just before july 1st so the oilers get a comp pick for 'losing' leetch when the rangers signed him. then at the deadline the rangers traded nedved & markanen to edmonton for helminen, valiquette and the 2nd round comp pick the oilers received for leetch...

basically they took advantage of a loophole to get some free picks

actually, they traded for whichever 2nd round pick is higher (edmonton's or the leetch compensation pick) which is till to be determined. Sorry, that was rather nitpicky. :)

Last edited:

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
xander said:
actually, they traded for whichever 2nd round pick is higher (edmonton's or the leetch compensation pick) which is till to be determined. Sorry, that was rather nitpicky. :)

that is true

JSmith81x

Your weapon is guilt
Dec 20, 2002
Visit site
thestonedkoala said:
Will the Wild get any for losing Ronning (Sekeras doesn't count) or Brust or Berzins?
Maybe a late-round pick for losing Ronning. Nothing for losing Brust or Berzins.

Heater15

Jun 22, 2003
Saskatchewan
Visit site
BronxBruin said:
Also, Dallas should get a pick for Hatcher since they didn't sign any big free agents last summer (that I can remember).

I thought it had to do with salary. If they have a 60 million dollar payroll im pretty sure you can take on anoth 5-6 so you shouldn't really get a pick

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Heater15 said:
I thought it had to do with salary. If they have a 60 million dollar payroll im pretty sure you can take on anoth 5-6 so you shouldn't really get a pick

A team's payroll doesn't have any consideration......more or less an urban legend of us hockey nerds.

Although if a team loses free agent X and signs free agent Y, and the two make roughly the same salary, then the team will not receive a compensatory pick for losing free agent X.

The Flyers got a 3rd rounder last year from losing Oates to Anaheim. The Flyers had a 65 million dollar payroll last year. If they Flyers had signed somebody else for 3.5 million, then they wouldn't have received compensation for Oates.

http://msn.espn.go.com/nhl/draft2003/s/round3.html

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
-31- said:
there would be no compensation for hatcher, fedorov, or selanne right?

I'd figure San Jose would get a pick around #50 for losing Selanne. Selanne made 5.8 million, when the Devils lost Mogilny for 5.5 million, they got the 51st pick in the 2002 draft.

Detroit probably won't get a pick for Fedorov, they signed Hatcher and Whitney in the offseason. Speaking of Whitney, I'm not sure the Blue Jackets will get a pick for him since they signed Todd Marchant, but Marchant was a group V free agent....although I doubt that makes a difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad