TV: Community

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
I've rewatched the series twice during the pandemic, season 6 was better than I remembered and the production quality is pretty good considering it was over yahoo.

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
First started watching Community between season 3 and 4 and had caught up to watch it live. Slowly over the years I'm on my 3rd time watching the series. Don't want to over do it though I do highly enjoy the show.

That cast table read was amazing, Pedro Pascal trying to get through the semen scenes was worth it alone. Big fan of Walton Goggins from that originally episode though that read may of been better. The Q&A afterward is worthwhile too.

#6seasonsandamovie

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
I've been rewatching it too, definitely prefer the middle seasons. Not because the last ones are so bad but there are some episodes that never get old for me, like the one where Chang decides he is a detective

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Season 4 is on the level of other network television, IMO-- not necessarily better or worse. I personally consider it awful and skip it, but it depends on your opinion and tolerance of other generic sitcoms like Happy Endings.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Do you skip 4? I also do not find it that bad
Nope I watched it too. Its not as bad as its often portrayed but its definitely not as strong as the other sessons. It doesn't have the heart of the other seasons and you get a sense they were trying too hard to be like either seasons.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
There are very good moments in season 4 (Abed and Rachel... Herstory of dance as a whole) and some painfully bad parts (muppet episode).

A lot of it is "OK", just not up to the normal standards.

I felt like a problem was the jokes lacked focus in a way. One example off the top of my head was one of the early episodes with the German foosballers. Chang does something evil, the rest of the study group is walking (totally separate from Chang) and Abed suddenly says something to the effect of "I sense something bad is happening". A few seconds later he sees the Germans in the study room, who he also couldn't have seen and it's implied that THAT was the bad thing he sensed.

Soooo... does Abed have psychic abilities now? Did he not actually sense Chang's evil and that joke was forced in there even though it didn't happen? Did he not actually sense the Germans and that joke was forced in there although it didn't actually happen? Did those two things actually happen at the same exact moment and Abed does have psychic abilities and he did sense those both at the same time?

This seemed like a constant trend to me in the season: Take a joke that may be a little funny, and then keep piling on the joke so that the original joke doesn't make sense any more and none of the layers are funny

Reactions: donghabs98

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Started watching this series. It's pretty cute but the meta jokes wears thin fast. Senor Chang is pretty damn funny though.
I think by season 4 you'll appreciate it and dislike when it becomes a typical network sitcom for that season, but we'll see (I again never despised season 4 but imo it's easily the worst season)

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Started watching this series. It's pretty cute but the meta jokes wears thin fast. Senor Chang is pretty damn funny though.
While the constant meta jokes don't go away, the show does get progressively better as it goes, while Chang gets significantly more unfunny as it goes (I liked him early on as well). The first half of Season 1 is not representative of what the show's like and is very weak compared to what people like about the show. If you get to the Goodfellas/Modern Warfare episode and still have issues with it, then that'd be something.

The show really wavers in quality though. The best episodes are worlds apart from the average episode (you can tell that they put a lot more effort into some than others). I wouldn't go as far as to call it some brilliant show, but it's admirable, fresh, really solid, and fun when it's going. It's at least better than Rick and Morty, in my opinion.

Last edited:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
Season 1 finale of Community was absurdly weak...it's fairly funny, but boy do did they give Glover the weak one-liners. I'll go on, though. I also read on Dan Harmon's 'Story Circle' technique, which I find preposterous and obviously limiting the possibilities of a story or narrative (if narrative there be/has to be) of his own medium, also seemingly dismissing the utility of visuals and the technical aspects of his medium. He's obviously making it work for him in terms of television success, but I think it's ultimately dragging him down in terms of style and potential heights, especially since he seems to actually have decent talent. He could do more with his brain.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
While the constant meta jokes don't go away, the show does get progressively better as it goes, while Chang gets significantly more unfunny as it goes (I liked him early on as well). The first half of Season 1 is not representative of what the show's like and is very weak compared to what people like about the show. If you get to the Goodfellas/Modern Warfare episode and still have issues with it, then that'd be something.

The show really wavers in quality though. The best episodes are worlds apart from the average episode (you can tell that they put a lot more effort into some than others). I wouldn't go as far as to call it some brilliant show, but it's admirable, fresh, really solid, and fun when it's going. It's at least better than Rick and Morty, in my opinion.

I didn't really care all that much for the Goodfellas episode. All it did was make me want to actually watch Goodfellas afterwards, which I did. Which one is the Modern Warfare one? The paintball one? That one I quite enjoyed.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I didn't really care all that much for the Goodfellas episode. All it did was make me want to actually watch Goodfellas afterwards, which I did. Which one is the Modern Warfare one? The paintball one? That one I quite enjoyed.
Yeah, the paintball one. That's when most people tend to be won over by the show, and the rest of the series starts being a little less grounded/sit-com-y and a little more fantastical/creative in trying to chase that approach, I think. It kind of becomes both a strength and a detriment. Still very inconsistent, but it hits those types of amusing high notes occasionally (I don't think it really does in any of the episodes before that point).

While I do enjoy the show and find it memorable, it's not something that I'll passionately be like "No, you HAVE to see it through-- it's absolutely amazing" or anything, though. I definitely like it far less than something like Arrested Development, prime Simpsons, Curb Your Enthusiasium, The Office UK, but again, I like it more than something like Rick and Morty.

Last edited:

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Well... This isn't very encouraging for you. Season 1 Chang is a completely different person than the rest of the show. And it only gets more meta.

I can't say I disagree with any of your analysis thus far.... I just liked it a lot more than you. Season 1 finale was really weak. They tried to force some really basic sitcom crap into that one. The start of season 2 is a little weak as well. So based on what you've said so far, you're going to have to push through some stuff you don't love to try to give the "great" episodes a chance

Reactions: tealhockey

Perennial

Jun 27, 2020
Just did a re-watch of Community in December, and I think Brita eventually becomes the funniest character on the show...

Reactions: ItsFineImFine

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I really couldn't finish this show. It was at its best when it was ridiculous but not absurdly so. Can't remember what season I hopped off but I remember Pierce was gone by then.

It just got to the point where it was just loud and wacky for the sake of being loud and wacky. Which was a bummer because when the show worked for me, I liked it a lot.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I really couldn't finish this show. It was at its best when it was ridiculous but not absurdly so. Can't remember what season I hopped off but I remember Pierce was gone by then.

It just got to the point where it was just loud and wacky for the sake of being loud and wacky. Which was a bummer because when the show worked for me, I liked it a lot.
I generally agree it wasnt as good after season 3 but Cooperative Polygraphy (which is season 5) might be the best episode of the series

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad