Post-Game Talk: Combo Breaker

3 Stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kords

Jun 19, 2019
I've noticed an awful lot of Rangers hand waving by several different media members. Four different people felt the need to downplay the Rangers success today for some weird reason.

Just kidding, their masks are slipping and it's glorious watching them try and cope. Truly comical stuff. Hope the team uses it as fuel.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
This is not true. Fox is Norris trophy caliber and Miller and Schneider are also top 4 dmen. I also think Jones is showing that he can play.

Yeah but other contenders have two and sometimes three top pair caliber guys. We have one and then a couple top 4 guys.

And one or two guys who are just god awful.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
I've noticed an awful lot of Rangers hand waving by several different media members. Four different people felt the need to downplay the Rangers success today for some weird reason.

Just kidding, their masks are slipping and it's glorious watching them try and cope. Truly comical stuff. Hope the team uses it as fuel.
They can all shove it!! LOL!

Reactions: Kords

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Name them because I don't see it other than Makar and Toews.

Just in the east, Boston, Carolina, Toronto and Florida have defensive depth playing way better than ours and grading out well in required GSVA.

If Lindgren and Trouba were grading out like they are paid to, we would be in good shape, but they are both awful right now.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
Just in the east, Boston, Carolina, Toronto and Florida have defensive depth playing way better than ours and grading out well in required GSVA.

If Lindgren and Trouba were grading out like they are paid to, we would be in good shape, but they are both awful right now.
The Rangers 1 thru 8 including Jones and Ruhwedel match up with those teams IMO. They are also 3rd in the league in Dmen scoring.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I think the bigger issue is that Fox is our only good defenseman. Other contenders have like 2 or even 3.
Stars are made in the playoffs. I have hopes for KAM and Schneids

I don’t know why this board hates on KAM so much. He’s a 2-3 on every single team in the playoffs imo. He has the ability to be a game changer

Schneider is coming along. Trouba, if he can get back to early season form, will help a lot.

We need 5v5 offense. That burden has to fall on our “1C”. It’s just not good enough. Our odds go way down if we're a one line team which we currently have been. Can't just rely on the PP

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
The Rangers 1 thru 8 including Jones and Ruhwedel match up with those teams IMO. They are also 3rd in the league in Dmen scoring.

Well it doesn’t really make much since to count 7 and 8 who won’t play if everyone is healthy, or even 5 and 6 who play way less minutes generally.

And scoring from defensemen is nice but I’m not the one leading the charge on here about how bad Lindgren and Trouba have been. If you need that further explained I am happy to point you in the direction of the posters who have made that ironclad case.

If your issue is that you can’t believe Brandon Montour and Gustav Forsling have been better than Ryan Lindgren and Jacob Trouba, I’m not sure what to say. They have been.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Stars are made in the playoffs. I have hopes for KAM and Schneids

I don’t know why this board hates on KAM so much. He’s a 2-3 on every single team in the playoffs imo. He has the ability to be a game changer

Schneider is coming along. Trouba, if he can get back to early season form, will help a lot.

We need 5v5 offense. That burden has to fall on our “1C”. It’s just not good enough. Our odds go way down if we're a one line team which we currently have been. Can't just rely on the PP

Way better chance that Miller takes off, and Schneider to an extent, than Trouba changes his stripes. We have years of data on him now that he hits and doesn’t add much else. It’s not much of a secret that he doesn’t defend anywhere near well enough to be considered a high end top 4 defender.

Yes we do need 5v5 offense badly. I suspect that will yet again be our undoing in the playoffs at some point. We do just have one line that can score and that’s not gonna cut it. It’s why our cup chances are so small with the advanced stats in comparison to other contenders.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Well it doesn’t really make much since to count 7 and 8 who won’t play if everyone is healthy, or even 5 and 6 who play way less minutes generally.

And scoring from defensemen is nice but I’m not the one leading the charge on here about how bad Lindgren and Trouba have been. If you need that further explained I am happy to point you in the direction of the posters who have made that ironclad case.

If your issue is that you can’t believe Brandon Montour and Gustav Forsling have been better than Ryan Lindgren and Jacob Trouba, I’m not sure what to say. They have been.
Montour was a nobody until last season.

Big time players will step up in the playoffs. KAM has all the billings to be that guy, or that is at least my hope.

I'm not arguing Lindgren or Trouba. Trouba can be better and hopefully this time off will help that. His mobility or lack of it has been the big issue... Hopefully that was corrected with the 3 weeks off..... Lindgren is an offensive blackhole, it is what it is.

Our defense should be good enough to win IMO.. ( especially when you factor in Shesty ) It's not elite but it should be good enough.

Our top9 production is the sticking point to me... and it all starts with Zibs.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Montour was a nobody until last season.

Big time players will step up in the playoffs. KAM has all the billings to be that guy, or that is at least my hope.

I'm not arguing Lindgren or Trouba. Trouba can be better and hopefully this time off will help that. His mobility or lack of it has been the big issue... Hopefully that was corrected with the 3 weeks off..... Lindgren is an offensive blackhole, it is what it is.

Our defense should be good enough to win IMO.. ( especially when you factor in Shesty ) It's not elite but it should be good enough.

Our top9 production is the sticking point to me... and it all starts with Zibs.

Yeah I agree mostly, I wasn’t quoting you there. Though I am uncertain why you think Trouba can play better since he hasn’t in years. Lindgren was the one who was good at defending the past 2 seasons before this one.

And I agree Miller or Schneider could break out any time. Maybe Jones too if they don’t discriminate on him for his height and let him play.

Also agree 5v5 scoring is a big problem for us and probably an Achilles heel, if we have one.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley

Depth is just as important as anything in the playoffs. If teams are making a run they are likely using more than 6 Dmen therefore 7 and 8 are important. Scoring from Dmen is not only nice it's essential to success. Forsling and Montour have obviously been better than Trouba and Lindgren. That's not my point. As a unit I think the Rangers high end with Fox, their depth, and their ability to score points puts them on par with other contenders D groups. The Rangers also wouldn't be leading the league in points with 10 games to go if their D was substantially below other contenders.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Depth is just as important as anything in the playoffs. If teams are making a run they are likely using more than 6 Dmen therefore 7 and 8 are important. Scoring from Dmen is not only nice it's essential to success. Forsling and Montour have obviously been better than Trouba and Lindgren. That's not my point. As a unit I think the Rangers high end with Fox, their depth, and their ability to score points puts them on par with other contenders D groups. The Rangers also wouldn't be leading the league in points with 10 games to go if their D was substantially below other contenders.

I don’t agree. The Rangers D as a unit has been worse than at least Carolina, Florida, and probably Boston and Toronto. Just in the east.

But that might be because they overplay Trouba and Lindgren. If Jones Miller and Schneider were promoted, would it help?

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I know I have a lot of knee jerk reaction posts in the GDT and sometimes it spills over into the PGDT but the team is the #1 team in the league 73 games in. They are 20-4-1 in their last 25 games, yet I read how we have one good defenseman. Some people are complaining we're not getting enough credit from the media and yet our fans say how much we suck.

Last edited:

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016

Toronto does not have better d than us.
Miller would Toronto's best defenseman.
Carolina has one great defenseman in Slavin, and then play very good team defense which helps guys like burns who aren’t really good at the defensive side.
Boston, has a top pair that’s a legit 1-2, and then they kinda fall off, and miller would be their 3rd best d.
Florida has ekblad and that’s kinda it there.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
I know I have a lot of knee jerk reaction posts in the GDT and sometimes it spills over into the PGDT but the the team is the #1 team in the league 73 games in. They are 20-4-1 in their last 25 games, yet I read how we have one good defenseman. Some people are complaining we're not getting enough credit from the media and yet our fans say how much we suck.
You knee jerk reaction posts? Nah. The media must read this board. Apparently we have only 1 good D and are a 1 line team and yet we are number 1 in the league in points with less than 10 games to play. The insanity on this board sometimes is something to behold.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Absolutely hilarious that they 100% drop this game without Kakko.

He did the exact same thing in that Pitt(?) game a week or two ago.

Blasds

Feb 15, 2020
I'm more, if just marginally, confident of Kreider bringing it than Panarin, who has historically not shown up when it becomes Kumite full-contact. Can the old dog learn a new trick by not trying to force cross ice passes into a mine trap?

And to pin the D woes on Lindgren and Trouba is unfair. Fox is very vulnerable this year, takes penalties a lot when he gets beat. We all know Miller is going to get walked at least a couple of times per game. Gus makes braindead plays, you can count on that too. When it's a tight, close quarters, combat type of game, Lindgren and Trouba will rise up.
When I read such narratives, I wish Panarin played against the Rangers on some other team.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Does anyone know when Fox got hurt? I'm trying to map it against the play of the Avs. Because expected goals were even at 50 minutes.

ohbaby

Apr 4, 2007
We were a playoff team last year, being the presidents' trophy winner with a new coach is not good enough when you consider what the Jack Adams is given out for.

It's just the way it is.
Maybe the Jack Adams is a longshot in the way they decide, but this is still a night and day difference from last year. Lavi has put together a team, that has the make up to make a long run. Bringing up those two heavy bodied rookies has made all the difference, They may be wet behind the ears, but we have become a team that has opponents looking over their shoulder. I sure hope they both get playing time, in the run for the Cup.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Maybe the Jack Adams is a longshot in the way they decide, but this is still a night and day difference from last year. Lavi has put together a team, that has the make up to make a long run. Bringing up those two heavy bodied rookies has made all the difference, They may be wet behind the ears, but we have become a team that has opponents looking over their shoulder. I sure hope they both get playing time, in the run for the Cup.
I merely stated how the award is voted for. Laviolette has been a game changer for the Rangers so far, and hopefully it continues in the playoffs as well.
The thing is, Jack Adams has always been the "who improved their team the most" -trophy, and what's even more stupid is the fact that the ballots were laid like last week or two weeks ago? Like one could imagine that if the Preds make it to 3rd in the Central, that Andrew Brunette would deserve some consideration. But we don't know if that happens, and the award has already been voted for.

Two of the longest tenuered coaches in the NHL are Jon Cooper at Tampa, and Jared Bednar for Colorado. Cooper has been in the top-3 twice, Bednar once. Neither has won the Jack Adams. Both of them have Stanley Cups, and their teams have been pretty damn good since they took over. It is what it is.

Reactions: ohbaby
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad